British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wolfcrazy

Nostalgia- Cradley Heath?

GreyhoundP, i am talking from the personal experience i and some of my friends had when visiting Cradley. As for the team yes in the early seventies it was poor, although i remember Roy Trigg,Howard Cole and John Boulger being useful. The period i am mainly referring to is from say 1977 onwards when Cradley did have

a fantastic team of Americans Danes and some good English riders too. Just a shame about the fans behaviour, went to the never forgotten 1981 world final which Bruce Penhall deservedly won. Again sadly there was some very poorly behaved Cradley fans which i had the misfortune to be near too, both in Central London and later at Wembley. This was the only damper on an otherwise incredible experience.

Hate to spoil the party on this one, but doesn't speedway pride itself on its family image, as a safe sport not associated with hooliganism like football.

In over 30 years of watching speedway Cradley fans had to be the worst behaved.

I was at Kings Lynn one Sunday in the early eigthies when the Cradley fans turned up as drunk as skunks and caused the biggest brawl, indeed the only brawl i have ever witnessed at a speedway track. For years after that Cyril had to run the Cradley match on a weeknight so as to prevent them from ruining the entertainment for the vast majority of genuine race fans, most of whom wouldn't venture to the Midlands. Reason being if you left your car in the car park there and they new you were from Norfolk you either got a broken window, arial or scratch of some description. Always sad when a track closes, and yes Cradley certainly had a terrific team, but there supporters were lousy behaved.

Untrue on several counts.

I was at the KO Cup fixture in 1980, the so called "Brawl" took place on the back strait and was fairly minor, it involved only a handful of people. Yes drinking was a major factor on both sides, but it was dealt with by both the Cradley Supporters Club who banned certain individuals and the local constabulary, I'm not denying it wasn't unaceptable but there were certain factors involved besides booze.

As for changing the fixtures to weeknights, this is not correct, the following year Cradley took what I consider to be one of the best away followings I've ever seen to Saddlebow Road, for a Sunday afternoon fixture.

Once again due to the history of this fixture Heathens fans were advised to stand on the first and second bends, which were packed solid (I've got the video of this one).

It takes two to tango and for some reason Kings Lynn was one of the venues where trouble was never too far away...no idea why you can't get too much further away from the Black Country.

Anyway enough of this non speedway talk, we are talking 24 years ago, maybe finally getting the chance to see a successful team got the better of some people.

OK Brizheathen i will leave the negative stuff out, and yes i will definately celebrate the wonderful team Cradley had under both Peter Adams and Colin Pratt, a guy for some reason who can do nothing right over at Coventry, in the eyes of some of the fans.

Never mind sad old bores who have 3 bad experiences with a certain set of fans, which scientifically proves we are all evil and were in league with all dictators over the last 30 years (not including Russell bloke), BUT has anyone got any old photos of Dudley Wood for Mista Wolfcrazy, the friendliest Wolves fan ever!

I can also recall George Hunter needing Police protection to leave the stadium in the 1960's. Mind you they could dish it out then and also take it without whinging, with riders like Ivor Brown and Dougie Templeton around - hard, hard men.

Just joined forum and read scooters comments and Rami(hello Rami) and Salty's replies showing My age but remember Middleton incident and Neill Weiss,but don't seem to recall that "Barry Duke deliberately fenced Him??"

Has Scooter forgotten Preben Eriksen deliberately fencing just about anyone He could(accidental wheelies across them-ask Kelvin Tatum-direct result a disintegrating hip-joint!),or Neil Collins turning right on Janno the week before the '89 World Final smashing His arm to name a couple??

And i don't look through rose-tints remember certain Cradley riders doing similar(Scott Smith,Morten Andersen and Simon Cross to name a few.) but if You didn't like it You could have stayed at home unless You enjoyed the pain of defeat (more often than not!!)

And I attend 'The Kennel' every Monday to support the Opposition because 'Dogheads' will forever be the enemy and i could NEVER,EVER cheer them-unfortunately My son is 8 and never knew 'The Pride of The Black Country' so guess who He cheers for??And He thinks Sam is brilliant(Greg and Billy too cos is Dad does!)Keep telling Him He is such a let-down!!

I went to CH for a period of about 30 years. I never had a happy night there except when Wolves won. Found the supporters gave a very aggresive and hostile enviroment. Remember loads of stories of riders like Gary Middleton and Ray Wilson and Mitch Shirra having to be smuggled out. Remember one very sick night in the early seventies when Barry Duke deliberatly put a young protege of Ole Olsen named Neils Weiss I think, into the fence and how they cheered. He was stretchered off and bad facial injuries that night I think ended his career. How they loved that. I cant say I am sorry to see that back of the fans. It is a shame that the midlands lost another track though.

As a supporter of Coventry I have no love for either Wolves or CH, however I have visited both tracks numerous times.

I have watched & listened in disbelief at the stadium wide cheers as kelvin tatum/Tommy Knudsen/Hans Nielsen/Brian Andersen/Billy Hamill & others hurtled into the fence at Monmore & the continued laughing/jeering as he lay on the track. I have witnessed aggression/abuse & threats of violence from Wolves fans on more than one ocassion.

At Dudley Wood, despite a real bitter rivalry, between Cov & CH I have never witnessed anything else than grudging respect from both sets of fans win or lose, and lets face it as far as Cov were concerned, THE team to beat were CH, Wolves were always a bit of a side issue.

In short give me CH over the morons of monmore anytime.

As for going each week & supporting the away side, whats wrong with that, you pay your money, I could never ever support any other team should Cov go, I have tried, I now live near Sheffield (missionary work), its just not the same

Edited by howling gorgon

I never had a problem with Wolves or Cradley, although I only ever went to Dudley Wood once but couldn't have timed it better - 1984 when the Dons ended Cradley's long winning run at home in the British League.

I was there when Eriksen smashed into Tatum, though. Eriksen's backside fell out when Gordon Kennett went for him after the crash.

Remember it well onceadon longest home run ever and some muppet invites You for challenge a week before the league match and after 13 heats practice You came back and beat Us!!

And howling gorgon,don't worry They cheered Our riders when They were hurt too,even Erik and Janno who never hurt anyone so Your lot weren't singled out.I once got three broken ribs there cos some sixty year old bloke kicked Me in the back for cheering as Erik passed John Eskildsen on the line.As You rightly said plenty of banter at Cov/Cradley matches but no trouble,goes part way to explain why Cradley fans find it easier to cheer Cov(that and the fact Our riders came there!)And most of Us could never contemplate supporting 'The Dogheads'.