British Speedway Forum

I think the first two qualifying rounds of this season's SWC have perfectly illustrated how boring the competition would be if it was run using a test match format. With the greatest of respect to Italy and Hungary, they're a long way from giving the big six a run for their money, and on last night's evidence, even the Czechs would struggle to track 7-8 competitive riders.

How about 6 teams in two groups of 3 the top two going into a semi final have the lesser matches be ran at pl tracks so the fans get to see some top class riders

6 teams

gb

danes

usa

sweden

poland

czechs or maybe a rest of the world side holta darkin the finns etc

Even this current format is a tad meaningless. The final will be between GB, Denmark, Sweden and Australia. We've known that since the start. The first two in each of the first two rounds might just as well have gone straight to the final without having a play off. Come back USA all is forgiven. Or put up a good show Poland and prove me wrong. :)

But then it's not a World Cup - it's a five or six nation tournament plus a world select.

I'd have thought the US would struggle to track 8 decent riders as well these days.

Even this current format is a tad meaningless. The first two in each of the first two rounds might just as well have gone straight to the final without having a play off.

Agreed, although it might have been worthwhile had the USA been in the competition.

6 teams

gb

danes

usa

sweden

poland

Think you are forgetting the Aussies Orion :blink:

6 teams

gb

danes

usa

sweden

poland

Think you are forgetting the Aussies Orion :blink:

WHO ! :D:D

Even this current format is a tad meaningless. The first two in each of the first two rounds might just as well have gone straight to the final without having a play off.

Agreed, although it might have been worthwhile had the USA been in the competition.

Which is why I said, "Come back USA all is forgiven."

Stop complaining and just enjoy the good speedway we are seeing, that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Even this current format is a tad meaningless. The final will be between GB, Denmark, Sweden and Australia. We've known that since the start. The first two in each of the first two rounds might just as well have gone straight to the final without having a play off. Come back USA all is forgiven. Or put up a good show Poland and prove me wrong. :)

And so they did! Norbold, with all your years experience of watching speedway, you should know that the only predictable thing about our beloved sport is that it's unpredictable!

Personally I was very pleased to see the Poles through after Australia had the timely opportunity to use the joker in the last heat. It could have spoiled what had been a fantastic advert for speedway with a Mickey Mouse rule robbing a team of a deserved place in the final. Well done Poland.

Now letS see the British boys stick it to all of 'em in the final. Come on TEAM GB!

Yes. Well done Poland. I'm glad they proved me wrong. Fantastic meeting. And you are so right about the joker. It would have been a travesty if Australia had got through because they could use the joker.

Have to say that BSI do appear to have massively revamped what was becoming a tired competition, and last nights meeting was something else.

Its a real shame that the USA are not in this competition currently, because there is no doubt that a side containing Hancock, Hamill, Janniro, Fisher, Larsen...would have been entertaining, and may have made the final.

Re the other nations not partaking, you could look at a European side...that could contain Norway, Russia, Slovinia etc. They do this in Golf.

My one regret in the whole tournament is that the riders, as they have done for most of the previous WTC, race on their own. As a team event, in my view it could be more interesting if the race format meant that 2 riders per nation met in each heat ( did this a few years ago) but thats just my view.