British Speedway Forum
f-s-p

Bye bye Ullevi & the Olympic stadion

Some countries have to stage two meetings.

I think BSI are finally getting found out. Despite the hype, there is a very limited market for the SGP, and the lack of expansion is undoubtedly down to no-one willing to take the financial risk of hosting a GP.

With the loss of Ullevi, the SGP is now down to just three 'prestige' GPs - in Cardiff and Copenhagen and Poland. The other six are more-or-less making-up the numbers, as even the other GP in Poland doesn't draw great crowds.

Who still thinks that BSI are doing a fantastic job?

In my opinion the perfect GP season would look something like this in a few years time:

But who will you find to take the financial risk of staging GPs in non-speedway countries. Obviously Monaco wasn't interested, as nothing seems to come of the much-trumpeted relationship with Prince Albert (or whatever his name was).

GP of Norway - Hamar Viking Ship Stadium

Can it survive on crowds of 2-3,000?

Why does kw always moan about bsi., there is no one better to do the job so why keep going on about it.(maybe they should go round with silly haircuts and suits )

Monaco? France? :blink:

How many people knows in this countrys what speedway is?

But nobody mention Slovenia.....

Monaco?  France? :blink:

How many people knows in this countrys what speedway is?

Exactly! How else are you going to expand the world of speedway if you restrict it too just a few countries? :(

Exactly! How else are you going to expand the world of speedway if you restrict it too just a few countries?

I would say that you've got to improve support in the existing countries before you go off and try to expand in other markets. It's very difficult to popularise sport in non-traditional markets these days. The NFL didn't really suceed with NFL Europe, and they threw millions at it. Equally, football still has a mixed reception in the US, despite all of FIFA's efforts to popularise the game there.

Okay, France admittedly has one speedway track, but I'm sure you'd have more success if you put promoted speedway in places like Germany, Italy and (yes) Slovenia.

Exactly! How else are you going to expand the world of speedway if you restrict it too just a few countries?

Okay, France admittedly has one speedway track, but I'm sure you'd have more success if you put promoted speedway in places like Germany, Italy and (yes) Slovenia.

Oh, it's really a surprise to hear that from you Kevin. ;):D:D

Tomaz,

Oh, it's really a surprise to hear that from you Kevin.  ;)

I'm very much a supporter of speedway in smaller countries, but equally the best way to support them is to ensure the sport is healthy in the major income generating countries. I also think the smaller countries need to participate in proper competitions (e.g. World Championships), and not mickey mouse events created to justify the existence of mickey mouse organisations (namely the UEM).

To this end, I would much rather see a GP in Slovenia than in Monaco :)

Speedway is almost like boxing,making up World titles and intercontinental titles just to have a more important sounding meeting.But i agree that speedway should consolidate in the countries where there is already a history of speedway participation.Interesting that nothing much is mentioned about Russia,seeing as (Chelsea)there is obviously money there and speedway is established and in the past produced some good riders,Plechanov,Gordeev brothers,etc.