British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bucket

Help-JAP previous owner identification

I know this is a huge long shot, but I wonder if anyone may be able to shed some light as to any previous owners of a bike?

I bought a 1968 4b JAP off a chap in Swindon back in 1984, I took it apart to restore it and now 20 years later I've just started!!!

The engine no. is JOS 68302 b and is a bit of a hybrid as it originally had a Cole mag. platform and it has a BTH mag. The barrel is an 'ALFIN' alloy type.

The frame is a North, Jawa style one and has an NTF (North) dual fuel/oil tank. It has a Norton clutch on a Jawa style countershaft.

The initials FH are stamped on the head and the bottom of the mag.

As yet i've not been able to find any riders of that era with the initials FH, maybe it's a tuner?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by bucket

Fred Hodder Coventry arounfd the time period you mention. Check and see if anything is bent on it, as he had habit of falling off :)

Cheers Nitram i'll speak to him on Thurs., mind you he'll probably just tell me to 'put me handlebars up, just like Kilby used to'! :D

Bee, funny you should mention anything being bent, as the diamond is bent below the saddle and just before the forks :blink: . Must be honest, I've never heard of Fred Hodder, but you never know, thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers Nitram i'll speak to him on Thurs., mind you he'll probably just tell me to  'put me handlebars up, just like Kilby used to'! :D

Bee, funny you should mention anything being bent, as the diamond is bent below the saddle and just before the forks :blink: . Must be honest, I've never heard of Fred Hodder, but you never know,  thanks for the suggestion.

In that case it's definately his. Fred was with Coventry in second halves through most of the 60's He made a few 1st team appearances around the mid 60's Used to live right outside the Stadium on Rugby Rd until a few years ago at least.