British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TeamCoyote

2004 USA vs the World

In the fourth annual running of the United States versus the World speedway spectacular, the California boys pushed their combined overall record to 4-0 with a decisive 78-69 victory.

Although still seeking their first win in the young series, the World team veterans led by Italy's "Godfather of Speedway" Armando Castagna, who has ridden in each race, remained upbeat about their chances and their racing experience in America.

"Oh, I love coming here for four years now, and I hope you guys love it too," said Castagna in his broken English as he strolled to the infield to watch the "A" Main along with track announcer Mike Rooney.

The World Team turned a virtual rout of 72-49 into the more respectable 78-69 final score when Eric Carrillo, riding for England because of his dual citizenship, teamed up with Steve "Johno" Johnston to sweep the points-rich "A" Main Event.

Bobby "The Blaze" Hedden, who opened his night with five straight heat wins fell in the first turn and was not a factor in this year's final race.

"What a bummer huh?" the eldest Hedden said with his riding suit dripping with victory champagne after the race. "We had to go to the backup bike in the Main and I got bunched up behind Johnston in the first turn and just went down. But we won, so I'm happy."

Due to the size of the six rider teams, the heats were spread out over six rounds rather than the usual four. In the first round Bobby Hedden, Charlie "The Edge" Venegas and Wolverhampton's asset Eric "Coyote" Carrillo collected the wins and the U.S. led 12-6.

In the second round Carrillo and Johnston teamed up to give the World another heat sweep and combined with Castagna's victory in heat three the World closed to within two points at 20-16.

In round three Bobby Hedden and Venegas came through with wins again, but with Poland's Daiez Sledge collecting a win and Sweden's Jonas Davidsson and Johnston nailing down a couple of two-point second place results the round was a wash and the score moved to 29-25.

In the opening ride of the fourth round, Castagna led Bobby and Tommy Hedden until the third lap where he fell, collected Tommy in the process and brought out the red flag. The race was called, the two Heddens were given the top two finishing points and the USA opened its lead to 34-26.

Two heats later Venegas pulled out the stops and swept Sledge and Polish National Bartek Bardecki to increase the U.S. lead to 42-30. In round five both teams tallied 9 points as Bobby Hedden, Eric Carrillo collected wins.

The World got five of their points in the middle heat when Chris "Please don't call me Krash" Kerr crashed hard in the back of his fellow team mate Venegas and ran straight into the wall.

"Man, I had a pretty good night and I'm finally healthy after getting hurt last year, but we both almost got real unhealthy there in that crash," said Venegas, reflecting on what could have been a disastrous event 14 crash.

With the score settled at 62-46 the World needed to dominate the "A" and "B" Mains to have a shot at the win. But with Bast saving his best for last and taking the win in the "B" Main with teammate Venegas right behind him the World was mathematically eliminated.

The World then proceeded to put their top points men Carrillo and Johnston into the "A" Main. Carrillo got the start from gate one, Johno coming out of three had his hands full with Hedden riding very aggressively into the first turn but could not match the talent of Johno and went down entering the first turn. Carrillo and Johno went on to an easy win, but the war was already over, and the Fast Friday's season was concluded in grand style.

The Youth Main event was dominated by 2004 U.S. Youth Speedway Champion Ricky Wells, who despite not having the number one sewed on his leathers yet, was clearly number one on the track. Crystal Kramer was second and Jay W. Ricketts was third.

2004 USA vs THE WORLD

USA n 78 POINTS

Bobby Hedden 19 pts (Folsom);

Bart Bast 16pts (Auburn);

Charlie Venegas 16pts (San Bernardino);

Bryan Yarrow 14 pts (Vacaville);

Tommy Hedden 7 pts (Auburn);

Chris Kerr 6 pts (Auburn).

WORLD n 69 POINTS

Eric Carrillo 23 pts (England);

Steve Johnston 23 pts (Australia);

Armando Castagna 10 pts (Italy);