British Speedway Forum
Guest BilaHora

how about...

Guest BilaHora

All

Did I read somewhere that Peter Adams, the Wolverhampton team manager, suggested a team scoring an away victory being awarded three points instead of two? Perhaps, perhaps not. However, it got me to thinking and my thinking took me into the realms of cricket (believe me, it is possible).

How about allocating points to the away team on the basis of the number of points scored? You could, for example, allocated six points for a win by the home team, with, say three points to the away team for scoring more than thirty points, four points for scoring more than forty points and six points for the win. You might well suggest that this would encourage a home promoter to "...doctor" his track to produce decisive home wins. This could be offset by, as in cricket, an assessment of track conditions (obviously, in cricket they assess pitch conditions) if there is a huge home win. In cricket a pitch is suspect, so I understand it, if a certain number of wickets fall in a single day, in speedway the track could be reported if a visiting team failed to reach thirty points to gain the three points. The referee could offer his opinion, as well as the respective team managers and captains.

Obviously, the above is just the outlines of an idea that would need refining.

Regards

BilaHora

How can you get points yet not win a meeting?! Cricket is a stupid sport if thats the case. How can you go home happy that you've lost? What an anti-climax.

How about, 2 points for a home win and 3 points for an away win, 1 point for a home draw and 2 points for an away draw and a simple 0 points for lossing!

How about, 2 points for a home win and 3 points for an away win, 1 point for a home draw and 2 points for an away draw and a simple 0 points for lossing!

I don't have a problem with 2 points for a home win and 3 for an away win, but surely a draw is a draw? You can't award different number of points to each team in these circumstances, otherwise you'll end-up with the nonsense of winning and losing draws like you have in some cricket competition :-(

How can you get points yet not win a meeting?!  Cricket is a stupid sport if thats the case.  How can you go home happy that you've lost?  What an anti-climax.

I can't see anything wrong in principle with the idea of a losing team being awarded some points. I don't think the supporters of a losing cricket team go home happy when their team has lost and they would never get more than the winning team or even the same but, surely, there is an argument for rewarding a team (in speedway) that loses by one point more than a team that gets thumped by 30 points or more.

In fact we already have the situation where a losing team could go home with a point - it's called the bonus point for winning on aggregate. BilaHora's idea is just an extension of that.

Edited by norbold

Guest BilaHora

Mr SCB

I imagine that everyone goes home slightly happier if they have seen a great meeting and a great meeting generally requires a reasonably close scoreline. The old saying was "happiness is 40:38" not "happiness is 65:13".

What I am suggesting, as a point for discussion, is creating an incentive for the away team to produce closer results.

I think it deserves a little more credit that you extend.

Regards

BilaHora

So you can post for discussion and it's ok for 2 people to agree with you but wrong for someone to disagree with you? I suggest you find out what "discussion" is!!

I still maintain that points for lossing a joke this is a spot not a "lets make everyone feel happy" organisation.

TBH, I think things are ok as they are, 2 for a win, 1 for a draw and 1 for a bonus point, why mess about with it? What is actually wrong with it?

This is a speedway thing, "lets play with the rules". Why? The sport is dying and people prefer to discuss green helmets and the points scored by the different teams rather than how we can sort the sport out, people wnat to sit around and say how great the sport is and when someone says something negative they get slagged off for it but the sport IS dying, lets be critial and sort that out, not stick our head in the sand and discuss how many point a team gets for wining awya from home!

Guest BilaHora

Mr SCB

That all depends what "...lossing" is - perhaps you ought to spend a little time, while you are university, learning English.

Speedway is a "...spot"?

What is "...wining awya from home"?

Yes, of course, it is okay for you to disagree with what I wrote - I never said you could not. I suggested you give a little further thought but, alas, you seem incapable of thought.

Speedway may be in a difficult situation and I am trying to make suggestions to enhance the sport - make meetings more evenly contested and exciting.

If the sport is in such a difficult position, perhaps it needs to change.

Regards

BilaHora

What I am suggesting, as a point for discussion, is creating an incentive for the away team to produce closer results.

I think it deserves a little more credit that you extend.

Does that not suggest that because I have disagreed with it I am wrong?

The suggestion of messing about with the points awarded for a win and a loss has been brought up many times so I have thought about it MANY times, I now know what I think and that is that it's simply a waste of time. Do you really think an extra league point will make a team ride better? After all, they're all paid per point anyway so all riders are always going to try hard for the sake of their wage packet. Very few riders give a damn about their team, due to the constant chopping an changing, I could probably list about a dozen riders who genuinly care about their team for this to work while the rest just want to make a few quid.

So giving points for losing(better? :P) doesn't add anything but makes the sport look stupid when Sky are telling people, "oh, they only lost by 10 so they get a league point and qualify for the play-offs".

What happens when a meeting is rained off?

BTW, An Englishman telling a Welshman he should learn to spell, thats a bit hypocritical after what the English did the the Welsh lanaguage with their poor spelling! :P;)

Edited by SCB

Guest BilaHora

Mr SCB

You seem to have forgotten that Sky also have the rights to cricket and, as such, already have to explain the points system for the sport. Furthermore, of course, Sky probably pay an awful lot more for the rights to cricket than they do for speedway. In addition, the BBC also gives out cricket results mentioning the various points allocations. I cannot think that Sky - or their viewing public - would have a problem with away teams scoring points for performance.

You mention that riders are paid per point they score, suggesting that this always ensures they try their hardest. However, this flies in the face of various threads where it is suggested that Poole riders did not try their hardest at Belle Vue and Oxford. My suggestion would possibly have cancelled out the benefit to Poole of their low scores at Belle Vue and Oxford.

Regards

BilaHora

You mention that riders are paid per point they score, suggesting that this always ensures they try their hardest. However, this flies in the face of various threads where it is suggested that Poole riders did not try their hardest at Belle Vue and Oxford. My suggestion would possibly have cancelled out the benefit to Poole of their low scores at Belle Vue and Oxford.

Are you saying riders are not paid per point?

Basically, Poole were already top of the league and nothing could change that, they did not want to win, they wanted to lower their averages, so they did not score points, you could have offered them all the points you want, they still didn't care.

Guest BilaHora

Mr SCB

You just do not understand it do you?

Thus, you write nonsense and mask ignorance with aggression.

I have made a suggestion and, as of yet, you have only complained about it without giving a valid reason as to why it is not a good idea.

Perhaps you (or someone with intelligence) could work out if there was a significant difference in league positions had my idea been implemented - it might be interesting.

Home team wins = 6 points

Away team scores more than 40 = 4 points to away team

Away team scores more than 30 = 3 points to away team

Away team scores less than 30 = 0 points to away team

Away team wins = 6 points

Away team wins = 0 points to home team

Draw = 5 points to each team

In the event of an away team scoring less than 25 reports should be submitted regarding track conditions for review by the SCB.

Regards

BilaHora

I think there is some merit in this idea. Give incentives to the away team to compete all the way to heat 15. An extra point or two may (big may!) reduce some of the one sided results that our sport endures.

I do think the suggestion of 'track reports' is frought with danger. Our sport is controlled by the same people who are responsible for tracks and, as in most things in life, some are better and more conscientious than others.

A 46-44 win has to be more entertaining than a 66-24 win, except for the most partizan fan. The bonus point does go some way to address this but why not take it further in an attempt to make league racing even keener?

Of course, you could approach this from the opposite end and reward home sides for exceeding certain points totals. Even penalising away sides a league point for not scoring, say, 35?

Edited by 847084

Guest BilaHora

Mr 847084

Regarding your suggestion of penalising an away team for not scoring 35 points, I think it has merit and may be a less revolutionary idea than my own.

Regards

BilaHora

Even penalising away sides a league point for not scoring, say, 35?

Bring it on-Would it be ok if Exeter had special dispensation to only use that rule for home meetings please.? ;)

Edited by Nevsy

Giving some teams a lap start wouldn't make a huge difference at the County Ground!