British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
2ndBender

Yarmouth 1961

I know it's an extremely long shot, but does anyone have the scorers from the Kings of Oxford Trophy at Yarmouth on 8 August 1961? I know Pete Jarman won it, but other than that the meeting doesn't appear to have been covered in the Speedway press of the time.

Pete Jarman 14

Harry Edwards 13

Roy Trigg 13

Vic Ridgeon 10

Geoff Pymar 9

Pete Atkins 7

Johnny Fitzpatrick 7

Terry Betts 7

Gil Goldfinch 7

Ron Bagley 6 (in 2 rides; excluded in 3rd and refused to take part in the rest of the meeting!)

Brian Brett 6

Tommy Sweetman 5

Pete Sampson 5

Pat Flanaghan 5

Ken Last 2

Wal Morton 1

Reserves:

Frank Wooster 2

Jim Chalkley 1

It was the last-ever meeting at Yarmouth and was never reported in the Speedway Star.

Terry Betts 7

It was the last-ever meeting at Yarmouth and was never reported in the Speedway Star.

cripes, how old was Bettsy at the time ?

Edited by Star in Exile

Bettsy first rode for Norwich in 1960. He had four matches and scored no points. He was 18 in 1961.

Bettsy first rode for Norwich in 1960. He had four matches and scored no points. He was 18 in 1961.

Jumping the gun?, he said how old was he in 1960, not 61!!! haha, where do you store all this info?, footage has come to light of Yarmouth and will be on days gone by Vol. 5, a long with Norwich, Eastbourne, Wimbledon and hopefully Southampton along with much more. :)

Ken

Great. I'd love to see film of speedway at Yarmouth. Never managed to make it there at the time.

By the way, if you're referring to Star in Exile's question, he asked how old Bettsy was at the Kings of Oxford meeting, which was in 1961, which is why I said he was 18 in 1961.

Funny really cos he was one of my favourite riders, always worth seeing Lynn at Wimbledon, he won individual one year and his wife had to present him with the trophy! That was in the days when every club had two great riders and if you missed a league match they didnt come back until the following year, rather than 3 weeks later as it is now.

Jumping the gun?, he said how old was he in 1960, not 61!!! haha, where do you store all this info?, footage has come to light of Yarmouth and will be on days gone by Vol. 5, a long with Norwich, Eastbourne, Wimbledon and hopefully Southampton along with much more. :)

Ken

Can you let me know when this tape or DVD is for sale.