British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hazzman

Leicester's Golden Gaunlets

What was the format of Leicester Golden Gaunlets?

I posted on the general speedway board and no answered :(

i believe it was on the old World Final format. Each rider having 5 rides, each racing against each other once, positions one thru three settled by runoffs if they ended on equal points. Hope this helps.. :)

i believe it was on the old World Final format. Each rider having 5 rides, each racing against each other once, positions one thru three settled by runoffs if they ended on equal points. Hope this helps.. :)

Surely that was the best format of all?

I seem to remember that ALL individual meetings were run to that format. It was fair to all, with the possible exception of the four riders who had consecutive rides.

Guest Steve Dixon

Surely that was the best format of all?

I seem to remember that ALL individual meetings were run to that format. It was fair to all, with the possible exception of the four riders who had consecutive rides.

Indeed they were.

Since first watching speedway in 1970 until the GP came in in 1995, all individuals were run this way,even the old GP that ran for a couple of years was run that way and the winner of the round earning 25 points.

I remember when Mort won the 1978 GP title, he was way behind PC going into the final, PC pulled out for a reason i forget, Mort won the meeting at White City and took the title... :D

You are all forgetting Uncle Lens idea the Champions Chase Knockout.Rather like a forerunner of the GPs.32 rider lineup won by Banger Jansson the first year,1973 :D

Speaking of the Golden Gauntlets, is it true this was one of the old traditional open meetings that went back years? I know some may have had longer histories, but maybe not that many? LT?

Guest wes lake

You may be right Sandman. Also i think that probably the last winner was Scott Autrey who in fact won it three years in succesion some feat with all the class riders about in those days

thanx Wes, but do you know how far the trophy went back? BTW, I think we, the contributors to the days gone by section all outta meet in Calif. USA and go on the Phil Collins Wine Tour. all he would say is it was a night mare man.. :)