British Speedway Forum
Paul

Hackney Speedway

I'd love to see an article about ex-Leicester rider Colin Cook sometime please -- if you're worried about any Hackney bias. :wink:

I believe he still lives around the Felixtowe area?

Great little rider with a brilliant style who was always one of my favourites. :approve:

Does anyone have a contact no for Bobby Mac?

Cheers

Ken

I no it's been christmas and all that, but any news yet on riders and a date yet? Really excited by the whole two day's and want to put the dates in my diary asap!

Firstly I must say that I have been astounded by the response that has come from my original post. In answer to Dave Stummings, Dave I’ve no news at all on a date yet. Len is due back into the UK at the end of the month so I am sure we will have a date in about 4 weeks. As I am sure you will appreciate, it’s very difficult to contact our former hero’s and not give them a date. I have certainly been in contact with people who have been involved at Hackney in the past, both on and off the track and they are all as keen and eager as we all are.

I’m sure it will be a gala night [no not bingo] of Hackney’s former stars, and will be well worth the wait!

:o Paul ...... Shazzybird take you to bingo one night, you can borrow one of my dobbers to mark your cards :wink:

Dear all, Although there has been no news to report recently, rest assured that work is progressing behind the scenes. On Saturday we visited ex Hackney star Pete Sampson's Paradise Park in Broxbourne which I am pleased to say is likely to be the venue for the reunion.

Pete has done an amazing job at the park and if you have never visited it it is not far from Rye House and is excellent value for money particularly if you have kids. I can fully recommend making a day of it if you plan a visit to Rye House this year.

There are good facilities at the park including a theatre which can be used to show old meeting videos, hotels which can be booked at corporate rate for those who want to make a night of it before going to Rye for the Vic Harding memorial the next day and shuttle buses from these hotels or from Broxbourne station.

Also it is close to Rye for the next day and it is fitting to be held at a place associated with a former Hackney rider who I can tell you is very enthusiatic about the reunion and already has been very helpful.

One of the next jobs is to get an "intention to attend" from the as many of the 150 ex Hackney riders we can. A huge task difficult because we do not yet have the date. However we already have agreement in principle from Archie Windmill, Dag Lovaas and Trevor Banks and we hope to have many more after this weeks round of phone calls.

A final comment about the Paradise park. The Veteran Riders Association is in discussion with Peter Sampson about errecting a permenant speedway museum at the park but Peter told us that money was (as always with speedway) a problem. I do not recall seeing anything about the museum on the forum so with apologies if it is there somewhere, at least people now know about the idea.

I'd love to see an article about ex-Leicester rider Colin Cook sometime please -- if you're worried about any Hackney bias.  :wink:

I believe he still lives around the Felixtowe area?

Great little rider with a brilliant style who was always one of my favourites.  :approve:

Me too Gemini-He was at Colin Hills funeral-hasnt changed much-just a little greyer on top.

excellent news Chris..

i wasn't aware that the vets were looking for a museum site.. but if its possible its going on my doorstep. i am all for it.. !!

brilliant choice of venue... those weekends that i have no speedway on in the summer, are spent with the kids up at Paradise Park.. it is a beautiful Zoo, set in a lovely woodland setting, and, to the best of my knowledge, one of the only Zoo's that you can actually feed the animals.. and i am not just talking the "kids corner areas" .. i am talking, Camels, llarmas, bison, Zebra's and all kinds.

certainly worth a visit on your way to Rye House one saturday afternoon.

I would certainly reccomend the park too, have spent many hours there with my now not so little girl and my loving wife, before setting off to Rye House, have quite a few bits of old cine film which we can run, as well as some of the Days Gone By dvd's (6 now and still building!).

We will film the re-union, so please make sure you have your ols scarfs, banners, programme boards etc with you and be prepared for the mic slipping under your noses!

Edited by tape2tapevideo

Dear all, Sadly no date news as yet. However I am pleased to say that Pete Sampson at the Paradise park has agreed to let us install a permanent tribute to Vic Harding in the parks memorial garden, which already hosts a tribute to Bill Mathieson. Further details to follow.

Sadly though Peter has told me that the proposed speedway museum appears not to be going ahead because of lack of funds. The VDTRA has only had pledges from its members to cover half the required money. As far as I know the fans have not been approached to see if there is any interest in making a donation.

I will talk to Vic White at the dinner on the 5th and see what the exact situation is.

Look forward to seeing anybody who is also attending the dinner.

Chris, have you any idea how far short of the required money the pledges are?

Kevvie have you won the lottery?  :P

As it happens Shazzy, yes - I won a tenner last Wednesday. :approve:

Hey Kev, did we not have a chat recently on MSN about winning the lottery? But don't worry about putting my fiver in the post, just put it towards that steak! :approve: