British Speedway Forum
Grachan

American Short Track Racing

I was hopping through some satellite TV channels last night when I came upon this. Has anyone seen it before? It's remarkably similar to speedway, though it looked to me like they were using trial type bikes - but I'm no bike expert so I may be wrong on that. Also, although they were sliding on the bends, it wasn't a smooth, controlled slide but more a case of leaning, with the back wheel slipping out now and again.

I only saw a bit, but it looked like it was America v Italy. Six riders in a race, from a standing start. According to the commentry, Kenny Roberts started his bike racing career on short track.

It was so similar to Speedway I don't know why they bother having both! Very interesting though.

Unlike here in the UK most US bike riders have dabbled at many formulas as there are bike parks that have a MX, flattrack,road racing and sometimes a speedway track at the same facility

More info on the US flat track scene here http://www.amaflattrack.com/index.php

Guest lucious artorius castas

yes i agree with you just for once Stewy :blink: Flat Track racing is one very exciting sport if your watching it live at a meeting as opposed to on the box. Picture 3 or 4 snarling Harley and Trumpies roaring down a 800m straight using very little downshift and a touch of the brakes going into the turn excellent stuff indeed. The best exponent of this sport is an American icon in the ranks of Flat Track racing Jay Springsteen he has been out to Oz a few times and each time he never fails to amaze. Also former Monarchs rider Christian Henry is a dab hand at this type of racing as well performing strongly out here in the past Mauger promoted long track meetings so if he cant make the dough riding skids over in Pommy land anymore i am sure he would make a decent paypacket out of riding stateside. But i guess to the speedway purist this form of racing is taboo as the same as not putting curry on your chips or drinking warm beer as opposed to icey cold:D HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE...ANOTHER AUSTRALIAN WORLD CHAMPION AND U 21 CHAMPION ON THE CARDS IN 05 :rolleyes:

I'm sure I read in our local paper a few months back that Newport are intending to put on a short track meeting sometime next season if anyone is interested.

I've never heard of it before and I'm sure it will be interesting viewing on the tight Newport track.

Just fund this on the RiderNews.net forum:

Short Track racing to hit the UK.

Another American institution is about to hit the UK Racing scene. Short Track racing.

Riders use bikes of between 125cc and 500cc for 2-strokes and 250cc to 1000cc for 4-strokes. There are no frint brakes, and riders use Speedway oval circuits.

Supermoto racers would be well suited to this as it should be a relatively cheap sport to get started in as each meeting is just £35 per entry.

The list of regulations is small, and they are:

TECHNICAL REGULATIONS FOR SHORT TRACK

The basis for the specification will be Motocross, Enduro, Supermoto and Dirt track machines.

1. Engine Displacement 2 stroke 125cc to 500cc, 4 stroke 250cc to 1000cc

2. Besides the compulsory adjustments, alterations may be applied to the frame and the appearance of the machine.

3. The front forks must not protrude more than 5cm above the upper attachment of the suspension.

4. The rear wheel must be able to stop instantly, so an efficient braking system on the rear wheel is mandatory.

5. Front wheel brakes are prohibited. If a front wheel brake disc is in place, it should be suitably protected.

6. The front wheel can be 17" to 21" rim size, the rear wheel can be 17" to 19" rim size.

7. Only the following rear tyres are permitted. Supermoto wet tyres and cut slicks, dirt track tyres and "for highway use" trail tyres. Motocross and Endure rear tyres are not permitted. As a rule the block tread pattern should have straight sides (not tapered) and the gap between the blocks should be no more than half the width of the block. i.e. 10 mm block, 5mm gap.

8. Any front tyre is permitted

9. The gearbox sprocket must be suitably protected.

10. Short Track UK front number plates must be used at all times. Two side mounted number plates with white backgrounds and black numbers are required.

11. Only fuel that can be purchased from a road side petrol station is permitted.

12. A Lanyard type cut-out must be fitted to all machines.

13. No Speedway or Grasstrack type right hand foot rests allowed.

14. Noise level of any machine must not exceed 98db at 2 meters.

Don't know where the Editor got the information from though.

Edited by Conkers

I'm sure I read in our local paper a few months back that Newport are intending to put on a short track meeting sometime next season if anyone is interested.

I've never heard of it before and I'm sure it will be interesting viewing on the tight Newport track.

It just as good as speedway, I caught a bit on some channel on Sky a few months back. Different but fun. But then I like quads, sidecars and the vintage bikes and most don't!