British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest lucious artorius castas

Australian Solo Championships Rd 2 Updates

Thanks for the info regarding the three laps Bryn, I was wondering why that was !! It caught me unaware a few times with me thinking there was an extra lap due and then the checkered flag came out. Also caught Craig Watson out too one time as he kept going flat out for another two thirds of a lap after the finish causing some frantic activity at the tapes as the start marshal had already pulled the tapes back down ready for the next heat.

The irony, I can remember 2 times he has slowed after 3 laps, one time during a heat 13 with Worky and he still got the paid win.

Go Wato.

Does anyone have the Champinship standings? (appologies, if I have missed it)

And for Cov fans too....(and Edinburgh ones no doubt too!) Rory's OK after another torrid night including his fall in his last.  Just cheesed though!

Not surprised Rory is cheesed off. Poor soul is having a nightmare championships :sad:

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Rory is having a shocker so far ML. For some strange reason to me it seems like he is trying that bit too hard instead of just relaxing and letting it happen. He tried a very "un-Rory" like do or die move around the outside of Craig Watson on the final bend at Gosford and fell when most thought he would settle for the 2 points for second.

I expect him to do much better on his home track next round though.

I'm off to Mildura next week and looking forward to it,

What sort of attendances are we seeing at the champs this year?

I'm off to Mildura next week and looking forward to it,

What sort of attendances are we seeing at the champs this year?

Hopefully see you there Raymond then....I'm sure there'll be other forum members there too besides you, me, Ron Malm and Sir Lunchalot.

Attendances at both the first two rounds have been very good indeed and, hopefully, it'll be the same story at both Gillman and Mildura,

UNOFFICIAL LEADER BOARD AT HALFWAY STAGE:

1. Leigh Adams 40

2. Steve Johnston 33

2. Jason Lyons 33

4. Craig Watson 32

5. Travis McGowan 30

6. Charlie Gjedde 29

7. Mark Lemon 26

8. Adam Shields 25

Rory is having a shocker so far ML. For some strange reason to me it seems like he is trying that bit too hard instead of just relaxing and letting it happen. He tried a very "un-Rory" like do or die move around the outside of Craig Watson on the final bend at Gosford and fell when most thought he would settle for the 2 points for second.

I expect him to do much better on his home track next round though.

You could be right Lunchy. Let's hope for his sake he can relax and pick up his game and show you all just what a polished performer he really is.

Jeez this talk of watching speedway now makes me desperate for our season to start.

Enjoy :)

Top stuff AX! Especially the natural smiles in the pits of the riders. Was that you on turn 2 with the bushy. I guess not!!!

cheers Poona.

Edited by poona

Guest SwineTown

From Swindon Local Press: www.thisisswindon.co.uk

Dominant Adams closing in on title

LEIGH ADAMS took another big step towards winning his eighth Australian senior championship title.

The 33 year-old Swindon Robins skipper took the plaudits at Newcastle (New South Wales) in the second of the four round series.

Adams followed up his round one success in Gosford two days earlier with another dominating performance on New Year's Day. In Gosford, the Robins' skipper only won four of his five qualifying races as he suffered an engine failure in his second outing while leading but still cruised to victory in the A final. On this occasion in Newcastle in round two he went through the card collecting a faultless 15 point maximum in the 20-heat qualifiers and then jetting to victory in the grand final over Newport's Craig Watson. Third in the A final went to Swindon's Charlie Gjedde, a guest rider in the 2005 championship field, with Aussie Jason Lyons awarded fourth although an injury sustained in heat 18 ruled him out of the A final. Danish rider Gjedde had scored 11 points in the qualifiers to take third spot and easily qualify for the grand final with three wins and a second place. He dipped though completely in the highly competitive heat 12 when finishing last behind Adams, Lyons and Eastbourne's Adam Shields.

Swindon Robins 2004 rider Steve Johnston, second behind Adams in the A final in Gosford, had to be content this time around with victory in the B final. However, he still lies in second spot overall behind Adams although now seven points adrift.

The final two rounds in the Australian Championship series will be staged at Gillman (S Australia) and Mildura (Victoria), Adams' home track, on Wednesday January 5 and Saturday January 8 respectively.

Qualifying scores

1 LEIGH ADAMS (Vic, 3-3-3-3-3) 15pts; 2 Craig Watson (NSW) 12; 3 CHARLIE GJEDDE (Den, 3-3-0-3-2) 11; 4 Jason Lyons (Vic) 11; 5 STEVE JOHNSTON (WA) 11; 6 Adam Shields (NSW) 10; 7 Travis McGowan (Vic) 8; 8 Mark Lemon (Vic) 7; 9 Kevin Doolan (Vic) 7; 10 Chris Holder (reserve NSW) 5; 11 Rory Schlein (SA) 5; 12 Ashley Jones (Vic) 4; 13 Troy Batchelor (Qld) 4; 14 Matthew Wethers (SA) 4; 15 Jason Doyle (NSW) 3; 16 Cameron Woodward (Vic) 3; 17 Chris Ferguson (Vic) 0.

B Final (Heat 21): Johnston (15pts), McGowan (14), Shields (13), Lemon (12).

A Final (Heat 22): ADAMS (20pts), Watson (18), GJEDDE (17), Lyons dns (16).

Leading overall standings (after two rds): 1 ADAMS 40pts; 2 equal JOHNSTON and Lyons 33; 4 Watson 32; 5 McGowan 30; 6 GJEDDE 29; 7 Lemon 27; 8 Shields 26.

Edited by SwineTown