British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Topcat

Matchless Speedway Engine

Who other than Bill Landels and Nigel Boocock raced these engines in the mid sixties?

I didn't know that Nigel Boocock had used the Matchless, but I remember Bill Landels doing so.

Bill had always seemed to me to be on the way up in speedway, but his season on the Matchless pretty much put paid to that. I have to assume it was the engine that was at fault.

Guest Jim Blanchard

What sort of Matchless engine, a G50?

Jim, my recollection is that it was a special speedway unit which Matchless produced. To promote it they had Bill Landels as a works rider, plus a season-long series of ads in Speedway Star.

Guest Jim Blanchard

Thanks Ian.

I never knew that.:oops: Though I left speedway from 1963 until the early 70's.

I'll mention it to Colin Seeley the next time I speak to him. Being an AMC involved guy and also purchased all the race shop from them in the mid 60's. He might be able shed some more light on it.

The Matchless engine was based on the G85 - There is a lot of info and photos on Chris Byles excellent website.

There is a link for his website on one of his posts on the "1st ESO/JAWA..." thread.

The Matchless engine was based on the G85 - There is a lot of info and photos on Chris Byles excellent website.

There is a link for his website on one of his posts on the "1st ESO/JAWA..." thread.

Thank you Hot Shoe - you must have read every page :)

To make life easier, the Matchless Page is at

http://speedwaybikes.fortunecity.net/match.htm

Thank you Hot Shoe - you must have read every page :)

To make life easier, the Matchless Page is at

http://speedwaybikes.fortunecity.net/match.htm

Thanks Chris, your website is a thing of beauty and i point everyone towards it at every opportunity.

I keep looking at the Weslake pages hoping to restore my Wessie one day to it's former glory!

Seriously though, the website is excellent - Keep up the good work.