British Speedway Forum
Conkers

World Championship Ice Racing R3 & 4

Yes Franky was unlucky. In the first staging of the A final he and Bulankin collided and he caused the Russian to leave the track - Re run had all four back - Ref said it was Bunching!

In the re-run Franky led for the whole race untill the last corner when he ran into the fence. He indicated to Bulankin who came over to see him that his throttle stuck open.

Current Standings after three rounds:

Nikolai Krasnikov Rus 70

Vitali Khomitsevich Rus 56

Dmitri Bulankin Rus 56

Mikhail Bogdanov Rus 42

Ivan Ivanov Rus 42

Dani Ivanov Rus 35

Antti Aakko SF 34

Gunter Bauer D 33

Vladimir Loumpov Rus 29

Per-Olof Serenius S 26

Dmitri Khomitsevich Rus 25

Robert Eibl D 21

Markus Skabraut A 19

Franz Zorn A 19

Johnny Tuinstra NL 17

Tony Klatovsky Jnr CzR 9

Harald Simon A 7

Hans-Olov Olsen S 3

Results from day 2 here.Ivan Ivanov wins.Top 8 places are now held by Russians riders

As Iris123 says, the top 8 are all Russian. Here are the current standings after 8 rounds:

1 Nikolai Krasnikov Rus 86

2 Vitali Khomitsevich Rus 70

3 Ivan Ivanov Rus 67

4 Dmitri Bulankin Rus 66

5 Vladimir Loumpov Rus 47

6 Mikhail Bogdanov Rus 46

7 Dani Ivanov Rus 46

8 Dmitri Khomitsevich Rus 45

9 Antti Aakko SF 42

10 Per-Olof Serenius S 38

11 Gunter Bauer D 33

12 Franz Zorn A 32

13 Robert Eibl D 30

14 Markus Skabraut A 26

15 Johnny Tuinstra NL 22

16 Harald Simon A 13

17 Tony Klatovsky Jnr CzR 9

18 Hans-Olov Olsen S 6

I have some observations from Assen, mainly concerning the Golden Spike which I'll add Monday when I get home.

Sorry for the late update but I left Assen at 6pm and got to my Hotel at Schipol at 8.3-pm

Got a bit of work to do first though.

On Sunday Afternoon I had a chat with Johnny Tuinstra's wife. She told me that by Sunday Afternoon, Johnny was absolutely washed out. He had ridden in Practice for the Golden Spike, Thursday Night, and had seen Bauer crash and end his season. He then had to return on Friday Morning for World Championship practice - so less than 5 hours sleep. (I should point out that Ice Bikes unlike Speedway Bikes don't want to go in a straight line unless they have a groove to run in. They require a lot more upper body strength that Speedway bikes simply to stop the bike "tram lining" up the track. If you watch during a race they are fighting to keep the bike in a straight line on the straights, and the lads as they come in after a race the are pouring in sweat)

Next he rode in the Roloef Thijs Bokaal/Golden Spike Round 3, before riding Saturday and Sunday in the World Championship.

His opinion was that once you are in the World Championship, then meetings like the GS should be taken out of your schedule.

Johnny wasn't alone, Markus Skabraut Robert Eibl and Antonin Klatovsky Jnr all had to ride, as did Bauer.

The reason? Bauer & Eibl would bring in the Germans, whilst Johnny would bring in the Dutch.

Franky Zorn was told he could miss it because the OATMC told him to ride only in the World Championship. Which is odd as Skabraut had to ride.

The Golden Spike meeting was designed (I thought) for riders who weren't in the World Championship, but I now understand that if your Federation is told by the FIM to make you ride, then you have to ride.

The organisres for the Berlin Rounds at Weekend are now looking at a vastly reduced crowd, as many Germans were waiting for the result from Assen to see if Bauer was in with a shout. The organisers were at Assen and their looks said it all.

There were a lot of German press at Assen and looking over their shoulders as they filed their copy, the general tone was "Bauer is Out - Eibl is too far behind to win."

On a more pleasant note it was very nice to meet Midnight Lady, Pammie, King Jamie (I think) and one or two other Forum members. Hope you enjoyed the three days (even without Bauer) as much as I did.

Roll on Berlin!

Sorry I missed you Conkers. Lovely to see Midlight Lady and Pammie. Thanks for the company Doc. :)

Racing was fantastic. I think everyone you see Ice Racing at least once in their life time. Wish we had some here.

Conkers,think you have summed up the situation very well.As it is there is an indoor speedway meeting,saturday in Rostock,so saturdays crowd would probably have been down.Think sunday will also be affected without Günther.Not too much enthusiasm from the media if all the top spots are held by the Russians.Read on the Stralsund site a report that said the crowd in Assen was down this year as well :unsure:

On a more pleasant note it was very nice to meet Midnight Lady, Pammie, King Jamie (I think) and one or two other Forum members. Hope you enjoyed the three days (even without Bauer) as much as I did.

twas me! nice to meet you too :) (sorry i didnt say much - was actually quiet for once!)

i saw a fleeting glimpse of Joanne as she said goodbye to Pammie at the end of the sunday afternoon meeting but didnt get a chance to say hello myself (too quiet again!).

back at work today. unfortunately, i think ive got the flu cos i feel terrible. i was gonna post my thoughts on the weekend on a separate 'lighthearted' thread but dont have the energy :cry: (ok everyone - get those violins at the ready :wink: )

suffice to say, i had an absolutely suave time: very good racing, decent Dutch (etc!) music, good food, strong drink :lol: and great company.

King Jamie  Posted Today, 04:46 PM

back at work today. unfortunately, i think ive got the flu cos i feel terrible.

Don't worry Jamie I too have felt like s**t since I got back Monday, but I've had to go into the school where I work. It wouldn't half look bad that I'm off for a weekend in Berlin after a weekend in the Netherlands, and I go Pat&Mick with a cold. Mind you if all the kids have the flu next week......

(Note to Iris123 & Wolfslayer and chums: I might be on the shorts to cure my cold this weekend :) )

back at work today. unfortunately, i think ive got the flu cos i feel terrible. i was gonna post my thoughts on the weekend on a separate 'lighthearted' thread but dont have the energy :cry: (ok everyone - get those violins at the ready :wink: )

Lucky you made it to work!

I'm off work with the Flu couldn't even get out of bed this morning without feeling dizzy and coughing my guts up :(

Was very nice to meet up with Joanne again, nice also to meet Conkers and Doc as well

King Jamie   Posted Today, 04:46 PM

back at work today. unfortunately, i think ive got the flu cos i feel terrible.

Don't worry Jamie I too have felt like s**t since I got back Monday, but I've had to go into the school where I work. It wouldn't half look bad that I'm off for a weekend in Berlin after a weekend in the Netherlands, and I go Pat&Mick with a cold. Mind you if all the kids have the flu next week......

(Note to Iris123 & Wolfslayer and chums: I might be on the shorts to cure my cold this weekend :) )

First rounds on you then mate!!!!!!

What can I say! This was a fantastic weekend :approve:

The ice racing was phenomenal. I was totally gobsmacked at seeing my first ice speedway race as a certain video will show :shock:

Brilliant meetings and a super slick show. Speedway in this country could learn a lot about presentation and how to run a slick show. I loved the cheesy music that was played as it really got the crowd going or that might have been the drink.....hic :P

Frankie Zorn and Dimitri Bulankin are now my heroes but it was great to see "Posa" race too.

Brilliant to meet up with Joanne again and also to meet two lovely gentlemen in Doc and Conkers :)

Roll on next March!

Edited by Midnight_Lady

Well, what can I say that hasn't already been said? A great weekend, amazing racing. Met Pammie and Midnight Lady all too briefly. Had the pleasure again of the company of Joanne and her liberated pencils (!). Great organisation from Eurorider - will definitely go again. It seems like a few people are a bit unwell after the weekend, well i have something far worse - I can't get ''yes we have no bananas'' out of my head. Has Ice Speedway twinned with the Eurovision Song Contest ?...

Glad to see you back on the forum doc. Hope you're going to be at more speedway meetings this year because it's going to be a good one. We did have a good laugh, it was good , especially the pencil comment :wink: I just loved them tractors :lol:

I've finally got pictures from all three meetings in Assen on my site.

Finished just in time as I'm off to Berlin in the Morning.