British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trees

Handicap Racing?

What was Barry Briggs argument against handicapping at the time? I probably have a good idea but just wondered what he said.

On the face of it it is unfair that the top boys should be handicapped but for the sake of the popularity of the sport it would be grrrrrrreat. Perhaps if there was another "Big 5" for example they could be billed and sponsored as something very special, which indeed they are/would be! I say this as though sponsorship is easy to come by, but with tv involved it might be possible?

By the time it was abolished there were only 3 riders on the 20 yard handicap. (Peter Craven died the year before and Ronnie Moore had retired from British racing.)

That left just Briggs, Fundin and Knutsson and it really had become a bit much to expect just those 3 to start 10 yards behind (say) Nigel Boocock at Coventry.

Probably all three wanted the system abolished (or at least made a bit fairer) but from what I remember (40+ years ago now!!) Barry was the most vocal and all credit to him for saying what he thought.

Like I said before though it was a pity they didn't tinker with it a bit (maybe a second level of riders being also handicapped for just their home matches) rather than throw the whole system out.

I believe Briggo's objection was that they were spending a fortune on engines and that the riders they were giving a start were getting better. Much the same argument would apply now I would have thought in that only those riders with the best (most expensive) motors would be succesful from a handicap. I would also expect riders to have to take greater risks to pass quickly and therefore the injury rate to go up. I can see how it would work in the States on smaller tracks where the speeds are lower but can you imagine Boycie having to give 20 yards to Watto on the Island, it would be carnage if he could catch him. Same in reverse at Newport.

Vince, I don't think the idea is for Boyce to start behind Wato (or vice-vesa) but more for Wato and Boyce to start behind Karlis and Steen Jensen. That way, Wato would not only have to battle with Boycey but Steen Jensen too to try and get the win.

The ideal senario would be that all riders get an equal average and there worth would be based on there handicap rather than their average.

SCB, I was talking about the suggestion that the team that was x amount of points behind went from the gate while the other team went from 15yds. Even with your suggestion there are going to be times when you have riders with 0.X higher average than their opponent having to give them 15 yards (home or away). I honestly believe that would produce the most processional racing ever. It would also still be a fact that the engine tuners would be the ones to benefit the most from any form of handicapping. At the moment a guy on not quite so good equipment can still win races if he gets his nose in front, he certainly won't do that from a handicap.

Can you imagine what Boycie would do to Karlis if he held him up for 3 1/2 laps when the team needed the point to win :o

Over here in Canada we sometimes have 6 lap 6 rider races on a small 180 yard track! While the racing is fast and furious I see all kinds of riders creeping as there is only one gate. The speed at which rthe back markers hit the first corner is faster than the ones off the gate and luckily non of the front markers have fell off in turn one which would be my worst nightmare!...

As for the fans they love it .... The riders, well as expected not as keen although most do it. The risk for injury is much higher but so far so good. I think it breaks the monotony for the fans who only get solo racing here.

Tom..