British Speedway Forum

As we know there are no GP qualifiers this year, which I would assume will mean that next and subsequent years GP riders will be decided at the discretion of BSI.

Clearly this will make it extremely difficult for the likes of Kenneht Bjerre, KK, Simon Stead etc etc etc to "break into" the series.

One solution that has sprung to my mind is this.....

The top 12 automatically re-qualify for the next year (effectively what happened last year with the permanent seeds made up of positions 9-13)

Positions 13-15 are eliminated and replaced by the 3 top scoring Wild Cards throughout the year.

This would ensure that the Wild Cards aren't just there for experience or to make up the numbers but actually have something to seriously race for.

Any thoughts?

Not sure that is the answer. Not that I have a better idea.

But this year Hans Andersen, Bjarne Pedersen, Ryan Sullivan, Scott Nicholls and Lee Richardson were gifted entry to the series by BSI and the FIM. If those rider finish outside the top 8 again (and I fancy most of them will), I think it will be difficult for BSI and the FIM to allow them another chance.

I agree totally with that, however who will choose who replaces them?

In my opinion there needs to be a qualification competition of some sort, with my idea the country involved would choose who the wild card is, that person would then get a chance to show why he should be there next year against the competiton he will be riding against.

As a side thought the Wild Card could be the Current National Champion (or highest ranking non current GP rider), which in this country at least,would bring back some real competition and status to the British Final.

I think if riders who were brought in by BSI this year don't automatically qualify this year then they should not be given another chance next year, bring new riders in with the other ones a chance to get back if they are riding well enough in 2007.

I'm not really up to speed with the GP rulings, but was wondering.....If Kasprzak had won tonight's meeting as a wild card, would he line up in the next GP???

Better solution: keep the top 3 and make the rest qualify. Better still, make everyone qualify!

Qualifying days have gone out of the window now, BSI hand picks riders.

Much to the detriment of the sport. If any rider doesn't have an opportunity to aspire to GP status where it matters, on the track, it's a two-tier system. The GP entourage has effectively abandoned its roots in league speedway. This is not sustainable! Speedway is eating itself alive. :sad::shock:

But if you have qualifiers everyone whines about it affecting the domestic leagues.

Better that than a closed shop

Guest Shale Eater
Qualifying days have gone out of the window now, BSI hand picks riders.

Well if they do that I hope they go for guys like Matej Zagar, Krys Kasprzak, Simon Stead, Antonio Lindback, Freddie Lindgren, Kenneth Bjerre and Niels K Iversen rather than former grand prix donkeys Karlsson, Max, Protasiewicz, Holta and the Drymls (although that might be a little harsh on Lukas) who all had their chance and fluffed it. Include Sullivan in that.

Whatever the vagaries of chance qualification, at least that would be fair and open. Hand-picking riders means a closed and subjective process dependent on the prejudices of people who are neither indepedent nor from within the sport. In other words, they have an axe to grind, for good or evil! Who knows what their criteria for selection might include, but unless it's done openly we'll be open to accusations of fixing.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a corrupt process, but it is wholly inappropriate to separate the roots of the sport from its world championship without effective accountability. It could well result in a form rider deserving of a place being denied for arbitrary reasons that are never explained in public. This is a backward step and has to change.

:angry:

I would expect they would be picked based to what they bring to the GP series in financial terms. Protsiewicz always brought in the sponsors and I understand Lee Richardson has too.

If a rider like Zagar can keep a sponsor like Fiat happy and bring another international sponsor into the GP arena then he has every chance of being handed a spot a head of more talented riders that bring no benefits other than riding ability to the Gp series.

Harsh but reality.