British Speedway Forum
Lioness

British Gp Reserves Named

Guest Shale Eater
I certainly wish Norris well for Cardiff. But, realistically, the guy's never going to be a GP regular. And unless we start throwing youngsters in early, we are going to struggle for GP riders in the future. Look at the Poles. Always giving their youngsters a chance in the GPs as wild cards. I bet they never even considered Protasiewicz for Wroclaw. He's yesterday, Miskowiak and Kasprzak are the future.

The Poles even threw youngsters into the SWC last year.

Agreed. The Swedes did it a couple of years ago with Peter Ljung and David Ruud and more recently Lindback and Lindgren ahead of the likes of PK, Klingberg, Andersson & Gustafsson.

to be fair the reserve positions are pretty un-important really, 1 ride at best. good of middlo to put two youngsters in, give them a taste of what a gp weekend is all about, get them used to it for the future.

Just looked at the EL averages and Stead is a good pick but why not Leigh Lanham. Seams to be going much better than Kennett so far this season :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

Stead 6.50

Lanham 6.45

Kennett 4.63

Hmmmmmmmm! But how about looking at the larger picture (based on the EL averages in this weeks Speedway Star)

Simon Stead 6.46 from 13 matches and 52 rides

Leigh Lanham 6.45 from 12 matches and 49 rides

Eddie Kennett 5.40 from 4 matches and 20 rides

When you look at it that way, Eddie well deserves his place as a reserve at the British GP. I have nothing against Leigh, heck I have tried to attend each staging of his Testimonial and sold tickets for him but he would be well out of his depth at Cardiff. Eddie (if he does get to have a ride) may well struggle but he is an up and coming prospect for British Speedway and needs to see how things are done at the top.

I say "Go get 'em Eddie".................! but I am not being security guard at your van when you are there loading up one bit at a time! :wink:

Look at the Poles. Always giving their youngsters a chance in the GPs as wild cards. I bet they never even considered Protasiewicz for Wroclaw. He's yesterday, Miskowiak and Kasprzak are the future.

The Poles even threw youngsters into the SWC last year.

Personally, I'm not happy with what the Polish Federation selected at Wroclaw.

When I travel to a GP, I expect to see the very best riders on display and, with all due respect, Krzysztof was not anywhere near that category.

As a fan, I felt cheated by Kasprzak's appearance in the field.

In the 24 man format, I could excuse the locals for throwing in one hapless young piece of cannon-fodder, but not with the "new" 16 heat format. That deserves the very best that is on offer.

Last year I was at Wroclaw and I witnessed Greg Walasek and Pepe Protasiewicz ripping apart some of the best in the World. This year I got to witness Kasprzak plodding round at the back.....I know which I'd rather see as a fan!

If there is a young rider ready for the step to GP status, then by all means give him a go. Until then, let the fans enjoy the best that is on offer!

If Pepe doesn't get the Bydgoszcz wildcard, I'll have to work on my Polish to write my letter of complaint to the PZM :mad:

As for the comment about the Poles throwing in the youngsters at the WTC last year.....do you really think that was their first choice team???? :blink:

I see people have been moaning for years about putting youth in, this year two young lads get put in and people still moan!

You Speedway fans are nuts :P

No, some of us have always said have the best, you know, Norris, Loram, Havvy, Screen, Louis, Howe, in that order.

ok  :D  :lol:

first of all it it the British GP so im sure we can come up with better offerings than Jamie - how will it be of benefit for Phil to have a reserve slot? and will Ed be spat out of the back any more than Michael Max or Peter Nahlin were?

So they had Nahlin and Max as they are local/ride for the local team. So why not Tony Atkin? Rides for the local team and is Welsh, or Phil Morris, he's local. Jamie Westacott, rides for the local team and is local himself. How will it benefit the GP, have you not realsied yet us Welsh will support the Welsh in a tiddly winks competition? You go to Cardiff and the English will support who ever rides for their team, the Welsh will support the Welsh. Get a local rider in and the local guy, Joe Public will be far more intrested. That said, I'd much prefer watching a wildcard/reserve who can actually win a heat, not Kennett, a PL second string for God's sake! I'd prefer Max or Karlsson (snr), Holta or just about any rider who rides in an EL 1-5 (Andy Moore excluded) instead of an EL reserve/PL second string. IF we do have to have a PL rider/EL reserve standard rider, why not the local man who the locals can support?

HenryW sums it up well for me.

I haven't read all the posts, so apologies if I'm repeating what someone else may have said...

I don't really care who the reserves are, it's not important.

But what I would like to see, as regards letting young GB riders find out what it's all about, is at least 10 of them accompanying Middlo and/or Peter Oakes in and around the pits. Why limit it to just the reserves ? Fill it up, I say !

Good shout Steve. The reserves aren't important but what is important is showing the British YOUNGSTERS what is required to be successful at that level. What good is Lanham, Howe, Harris etc. going to be for a reserve role? They are riders who are never going to progress to world class level whereas riders like Stead and Kennett still have the ability and time on their side.

SCB- Havvy, Screen, Howe and Louis the best of British? Whats the point in them being in the GP? There is no point. Who wanted them in the GP? They will do as much as Kasprzak did in Poland and he's on top form!

The Welsh are irrelevant and you really think that a few more supporters would come through the gate if Morris was reserve? Don't think so.

HenryW, good luck with that letter.

To be fair to the Polish authorities, Protasiewicz has had his chance and has never really performed at GP level. All he had to do to be in the series full-time this year was finish better than 13th and he couldn't manage it. To the Polish authorities, he's history, in my opinion.

We'll never know, but there's a good chance Protasiewicz wouldn't have scored higher than Kasprzak at Wroclaw anyway - he's not scoring higher than Kasprzak in the UK and I doubt he is doing so in Poland.

As for the SWC, it may not have been the team the Poles would have liked to send over, but it did well enough. And it could reinforce the idea of giving their youngsters a chance.

Edited by Subedei

At the end of the day, we have a wild card who deserved to get it and i don't think the reserves are really important. if they do get a ride, the rider they've replaced might have got exactly the same score.

The Welsh are irrelevant and you really think that a few more supporters would come through the gate if Morris was reserve? Don't think so.

That just shows the English ignorance to Welsh sport/pride. How many other nations of a similar size could fill up the Millenium Stadium to watch a football match they know they have little chance of winning? We go to support our sports men, something the English DONT do. They must be the only nation that don't. As I said, I agree they shouldn't really be in it anyway but neither should Kennett, what exactly is gained having him? I have to watch a 3 man race now if someone is excluded, may as well not have the reserve in the first place.

Why not give Loram a chance? Or Max, Karlsson, Protasiweicz, Shields, Holta. Why does the rider have to be British? OR young, the rider should a rider who could just be involved in the race and entertain us, is that not what people pay for? Not to see some 18 year old PL second string ride around at the back with nobody giving a damn about him!

Suprised nobody has comment on Steve Turners post, make sense, why not get loads of the young Britis there anyway, riding or not.

Edited by SCB

Guest Shale Eater

SCB, If you're so wound up about Kennett being selected over guys like Phil Morris then why did NORWAY'S Rune Holta get selected for the SWEDISH GP???? Personally I'm pleased that Ed has been selected as he is riding for team from Wimbourne Road but he is only a reserve and as many people have said he probably will get at the most 1 ride if that. I'm sure if Phil Morris had stepped up to the Elite League a couple of years ago then he might have been considered.

One more point, you mentioned Loram, Max, Karlsson, Holta, Shields and Protasiewicz. Apart from Shields (never ridden in GP) and to a lesser extent Loram (Former World Champ), the other 4 all had there chances to do well in the GP, but blew it.

Edited by Shale Eater

You really think Ed Kennett will beat a GP rider? Has he beat anyone other than reserve for Poole this season?

My point about Phil Morris is simple, if they're not picking the best (like they did in Sweden) why not pick someone local, not some no hoper from 200 miles away!

You really think Ed Kennett will beat a GP rider?  Has he beat anyone other than reserve for Poole this season?

My point about Phil Morris is simple, if they're not picking the best (like they did in Sweden) why not pick someone local, not some no hoper from 200 miles away!

I see where you are coming from SCB but in my book Phil fails in the 'he is young and will benefit from the experience' and the whole welsh thing that you are talking about does not work because this is a BRITISH federation - maybe when Wales produces a rider anywhere near the standard required for even a reserve he will get the nod over all of the others but until then I can't see it

even if Ed isn't the standard we are certainly looking for him to be in seasons to come and that is more to the point

p.s. if Ed was to gate first I think he could make life difficult but the chances are that he would be caught cold and be overwhelmed but would we expect anything else?