British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Blazeaway

Will The Gp Move To Wembley?

Once our new national stadium is finished does anyone reckon the GP will be moved to its spiritual home at Wembley? Personally i don't think it would be a good idea although it would only take me 20 mins to get home. I think that BSI wouldn't be prepared to take the risk of it flopping as the event at the Millenium stadium seems to be moving from strength to strength. So waddya all think?

British GP = Cardiff

European GP = Wembley

Just a thought!

personally, I think the Millenium Stadium is an excellent occasion and long may it continue :)

This has already been raised/discussed elsewhere - see 'Britishgp 2006' on the SGP & SWC area

Wembley chucked us out last time so bo**ocks to them. Cardiff gets my vote anyday. B)

B)NICKI PEDERSEN - DANISH GRAND PRIX WINNER 2005 B)

Edited by Liontamer

They weren't prepared to compromise Wembley to accept atheletics, so there's not much hope they'll sully themselves with speedway (no pun intended!) Assuming that BSI were prepared to pay the astronomic rent in the first place, of course.

Compared with Cardiff there is nothing to do a Wembley.

No pubs, restaurants or anything, no parking and if you park in Wembley's car park it takes hours to get out.

I for one wouldn't go if it went to Wembley.

No bother, CedarMan - you go by train rather than car (Wembley station is being massively expanded), and you use some of the money you saved in travel expenses to go down the West End, or pretty much anywhere in London to get bladdered afterwards! :D

I suppose the real traditionalists will want the GP to return to Wembley AND have it staged on a Thursday Night (which was the original night for the World Final - until they realised that Saturday might get one or two more in)

They weren't prepared to compromise Wembley to accept atheletics, so there's not much hope they'll sully themselves with speedway (no pun intended!)  Assuming that BSI were prepared to pay the astronomic rent in the first place, of course.

Taken from the Wembley website it appears Athletics have been considered

Though designed primarily for football, rugby and music events, the new Wembley Stadium is also capable of hosting world-class athletic events.

A revolutionary solution has been developed to ensure that both football and athletics fans can enjoy perfect views, thanks to a temporary athletics platform that can be installed when necessary.

If Wembley is required to host a major athletics event, the prefabricated platform can be built over the lower bowl, covering some of the seats but creating the increased surface needed to fit an athletics track. The platform will take just a few weeks to install and remove, making Wembley a versatile, multi-sport venue.

There has been significant progress on securing land for a potential athletics warm-up facility after discussions with the London Borough of Brent. Four possible sites have been identified, with Sherrins Farm likely to prove the most deliverable solution.

Of course Speedway is just a 'MINORITY' sport in the eyes of some but for me a trip to Crdiff which I have visited every year has become bigger and bigger each year with crowd numbers and I for one would like it to stay in Cardiff.

Don't think that's right. The original proposal included retractable seating and an athletics track on a platform that came up through the floor, but both of those features were dropped for the final version on cost grounds. What this Wembley will not be is a versatile multi-sport venue - football and rubgy, yes; anything else and they're not interested.

The quote is off the Wembley website not from me!

Sounds like PR. If they'd really been interested in athletics, Wembley would have been the centrepiece of the 2012 Olympics bid!

Wembley is an area which is rubbish about 5 pubs and 3 cafes. The stadium in Cardiff is bang in the middle of the city centre, you have shops, pubs, parks, castles, a bay down the road and plenty of hotels.

If it was staged at Wembley you would be going for just the meeting, at Cardiff you are going for the day out.