British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dai Hard

Scoring System

Think the point was shown up in the Czech GP as Scott scored 14 and was the best rider yet Jason, who finished 6 points behind Scott, ended the day with 16 cos he did better in 1 race. This time the best rider on the night finished fifth in the scoring.

The semi & final can still be run to decide the 'Champion' of xyzland but just have the 20-heats scores counting towards the overall championship. The best rider over their 45 races in the championship still wins the title.

Edited by Neil H

I don't think any scoring system could mask the fact that TR is miles ahead of everyone. He's made every final and he's won 5 of 6 finals. In any scoring system he's going to be miles ahead.

Think the point was shown up in the Czech GP as Scott scored 14 and was the best rider yet Jason, who finished 6 points behind Scott, ended the day with 16 cos he did better in 1 race. This time the best rider on the night finished fifth in the scoring.

Your argument works, sort of. But you've got to think that the 20 qualification heats would be different if they counted more. And in that circumstance, it's far from clear that Nicholls would have ended with 14 points.

Edited by Subedei

Just thought I would update this topic after the final GP of the season.

Chances are that I have made loads of mistakes putting this together, but I believe that the following are the points scored by the GP riders this year in all the regular 20 heats. For the top 15, the brackets show how their position differs from their actual final championship position.

1 T.Rickardsson 108 (=)

2 J.Crump 91 (=)

3 N.Pedersen 85 (+1)

4 L.Adams 83 (-1)

5 G.Hancock 78 (=)

6 A.Jonsson 73 (+2)

7 S.Nicholls 72 (+2)

8 T.Gollob 71 (-1)

9 B.Pedersen 64 (-3)

10 H.Andersen 58 (+2)

11 A.Lindback 55 (-1)

12 J.Hampel 50 (-1)

13 R.Sullivan 45 (+1)

14 L.Richardsson 44 (-1)

15 T.Chrzanowski 27 (=)

Others

K.Bjerre 12 (2 rounds)

S.Anderson 5 (1 round)

R.Povazhny 4 (1 round)

Wild Cards

M.Zagar 14 (2 rounds)

P.Protasiewicz 11

N.K.Iversen 7

R.Holta 6

J.Davidsson 4

D.Norris 4

K.Kasprzak 4

A.Dryml 3

Works out pretty much the same but for a few positions, so guess that the system is fair.

I think that with the exception of Jarek Hampel the riders final official positions are a fair judgement to their performances. As we all are aware Jarek would have probably been top 6 but for his injuries.

Still on reviewing this years GP series I have to admit that on reflection the old system of eliminators every 4 heats was more exciting. This series has been a bit a drag as the tension doesn't start until heat 17 or so.