British Speedway Forum

Have we reached the stage where the British riders can no longer compete with the continental riders in the GP's, who should be seeded for next year as I do not think on current form either Scott or Lee will get automatic qualification.

It looks like we've reached that stage.

Think if there's a permanent British presence in the GPs next year, it'll be an act of charity on the part of BSI and the FIM. Neither Nicholls or Richardson qualified, as of right, to be in this year's series and if they fail to get into the top 8 this time around, they should be out.

But, if the Wild Cards are being done away with next season, I'd imagine we'll have a solitary rider from Britain, Slovenia, Czech Republic and wherever else GPs are held to maintain local interest.

Edited by Subedei

it looks that way yes.

but both scotty ans lee have proved themselves at the top level....all they lack is consistancy. if they can find that then theres no reason they can not succeed.

and we also have new young riders coming through who are improving with every meeting. just look at bombers scores in the elite league this year. or simon stead.

dont give up on the brits yet. lets see what we can do in the world cup when we're all riding together :approve:

Guest Shale Eater

The top 8 IMO will be

Tony Rickardsson

Jason Crump

Nicki Pedersen

Leigh Adams

Jarek Hampel

Hans Andersen

Bjarne Pedersen

Antonio Lindback

Matej Zagar has more or less got himself a nominated slot after his performance in Slovenia and possibly Kenneth Bjerre. That would leave 5 places left (I'm including a wildcard slot) which would probably go to Nicholls, Gollob, Jonsson and Hancock from this years GP meaning no Sullivan, Richardson and Chrzanowski. With one place left and guys in the running will be Kasprzak, Lindgren, Iversen, the Drymls, even the likes of Holta, Protasiewicz, Max, Karlsson and Loram???? Or should it just go to the World Under 21 champ????? Whatever happens I can only see one Brit flying the flag next year, possibly Scotty

Yes. We've gone into this in a shamateurish way and we're reaping the rewards in the form of under-achievement.

Evidently there is no body in UK speedway that cares enough to pump in resources to GP success. I've long argued for effective support and back-up to the British squad so we can achieve to our potential. Middlo is not enough on his own, and most of his time and effort is dedicated to Poole anyway. I'd expect that if we were doing the GPs seriously we'd have a rider coach (someone like Simmo, Jessup or Louis, for example), maybe a sports psychologist, a full squad of mechanics and whatever other resources we needed to optimise the riders' chances of success - even a chef if that made all the difference!

Well I guess I asked for it starting this thread but what a depresing read for British speedway, I am not surprised by the response and can only echo the sad fact that if it continues as it is we will only be in the GP next year by virtue of the fact that the british GP is the biggest event on the GP calender and there has to be an English representertive other than the wild card.

but both scotty ans lee have proved themselves at the top level....all they lack is consistancy. if they can find that then theres no reason they can not succeed.

Consistency? So far between them they have made ONE semi-final this year but other than that have consistently (yes, they're bene consistent) scored 4-8 points in each GP.

Why wouldn't BSI want Scott though? It's not liek he has been struggling for points, I think he is one of the top 16 riders in the World so he is NOT banking on BSI's charity, he IS worthy of his place, he's just not a title contender, he is a rider capable of 8-12th place, surely thats means he is worthy of his place.

BSI should kick out Chrzanowski, Richardson and Sullivan next season and bring in 3 of Bjerre, Zagar, Iversen, A.Dryml, Kasprzak. So what if it means a disproportionate amount of Danes, they all deserve to be there but i think they'll both lose out, simply because there are so many Danes and having 5 in the series would not be a good marketing aspect.

Scotty and Lee don't seem to be aggressive enough for the G.P's "dog eat dog" lifestyle.

Would like to see Mark Loram back in the series next year. He's still the top Brit and the new G.P format would suit him fine but realistically don't think that it will happen as BSI seem to be looking at the new stars to take the series forward.

Expect KK, and Bjerre to definately replace Chrzanowski and Richardson and maybe PUK to take Ryans place if Ryan fails to make a podium place.

Zager will have to wait untill he produces some decent form in the E.L before he gets a chance, being top dog in the P.L is going to get nobody in the G.P.

Dun think Chrzanowski, Rico and Sullivan will be in it next year like you have already said!!

There will be one Brit in next year probs cos of the fact that we have a Grand Prix and surely it will be Nicholls!!

Would love to see more young riders in the GP's stepping up and having a go like Lindback has done with KK, Bjerre and Zagar being the obvious choices, but I do have a view that the World Under 21 winner should get spot number 15 in the series!!

Top 8 will be: -

Rickardsson,

Crump,

Nicki Pedersen,

Lindback,

Adams,

Hampel,

Andersen,

Hancock,

I think will see two British riders in the GP's next year. BSI would be stupid not to seed two riders considering the interest the Cardiff GP generates.

Poland, Sweden and GB are the "BIG 3" in the world of speedway as far popularity of the sport goes so I'm sure we will see Scotty + Lee/another young rider.

tom

Edited by tommy

I agree with the idea of sports psychologists and more 'group work' in the sense that the top british riders and the up and coming riders even from conference level with potential having practice sessions where they can all support and advise each other.

We need to support up and coming riders as much as those who are already there as we need to look after the future as well as the here and now otherwise the problem of the lack of british riders in the gp will continue!

Well said, Unibabe. There's no inherent difference in terms of ability between our riders and the rest, or it would show up in league averages. But they do need effective support if they're going to bridge the gap between EL and GP standard, where consistency and winning key races is everything. And the psychology, the mental edge of winning, is where they're demonstrably weakest.

Even if they were just to have a couple of days a month where as many as possible could get together and do some training, even if it was just reflex enhancing skills then that would boost their confidence at the gates. Just little things could make such a mental difference.

Group moral also needs to get sorted

Morale should be Middlo's job, though as I've said before he's not really a dedicated England team manager in the sense that a Sven Goran Eriksson would demand complete control over the team when on England duty. Neil should be totally dedicated to the training and preparation of British riders in any international event, which means ensuring they arrive at events in plenty of time, have a chance to relax and stay cool, learn the tracks thoroughly and work on their weaknesses with help of a "national coach" (I suggested someone like DJ or Simmo would be excellent - world class experience is vital), and have top class moral and tactical support during the event - a cool head to guide the riders and take the worries from their shoulders.

As I understand it, when Nicholls and Rico are at GPs, it's every man for himself!

Edited by AndyM

I will probabily take some stick for saying this but i think middlo is useless. He has no interest in up and coming riders and lends no support to them. He should take a few hints from Peter Oakes, he is a man who cares about the future of british speedway and who has an eye for talent eg David Howe Simon Stead Chris Harris Olly Allen etc