British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Who Will 'sort Out' Nicki Pedersen?

John Berry, Backtrack Magazine's top columnist, has entered the ongoing Nicki Pedersen debate in typical forthright style.

Never one to duck any issue, Berry will undoubtedly spark more reaction from fans and other observers with his comments in the latest issue.

In a general talking point piece titled 'Where Are Today's Enforcers?', he writes: "In my time riders like Nicki Pedersen would have been given a serious word in the ear early on in their careers."

Referring to the incident where Pedersen brought down namesake, Bjare Pedersen, in the Swedish GP earlier this season, Berry goes on to say: "Can you imagine Charlie Monk, or Olle Nygren, or Colin Gooddy, or Arthur Browning, or Billy Sanders allowing a rider to get away with what happened in that final?"

Berry also wonders whether the advent of the air fence has caused Pedersen (and others) to adopt a more aggressive style?

People shouldn't be asking people should be doing.

There have always been aggressive riders around, and Nicki himself would undoubtedly put his success down to the fact that he's prepared to go for gaps other riders shrink from. Why he needs a few wise words is simple and straightforward - one day he will kill or cripple himself or, worse still, someone else. Someone needs to put this into perspective so he can exercise better judgement. If not, he'll discover it for himself some day...but by then it might be too late.

I thought Tomasz Gollob did a pretty good job in Ht 12 of the Prague GP. Nicki P didn't leave him any room, but Gollob just steamed past him anyway. I doubt if Nicki P will be so bold the next time he races against Gollob.

If you think back a bit, Gollob used to be the bad boy of Speedway.....until Boycey lamped him.

Gollob is one of the fairest riders currently racing in the GP and has clearly matured over the years, and while I am not a fan of Nicki Pedersen, I truly hope he can do the same.

Edited by home straight

If you think back a bit, Gollob used to be the bad boy of Speedway.....until Boycey lamped him.

Reply removed by moderator, for obvious reasons :unsure:

while not agreeing with all Nicky Pedersens antics he along with Antonio Lindback certainly liven proceedings in the Tony Rickardsson Road Show

If people do, eg FIM, then they may be best advised to ask first to ensure "steps" are accepted by all sides :wink:

I feel his days are numbered, he cannot carry on like he is, someone will have him and if they do most people will think that he had it coming!

Change your ways now Nicki, your not fair, you're given an inch and you take a mile!!

Edited by Trees

Each man is the master of himself, and, to some extent, his destiny. If Nikki Pedersen needs to be 'sorted out', it can only be done by Nikki Pedersen.

Inflammatory statements such as 'nominating' a rider to sort him out on the track are utterly stupid do nothing less than bringing discredit to the sport and to the writers of such comments.

Should Mr Pedersen be unable or unwilling to make any necessary changes to his riding style and attitude then it is incumbent upon the contolling bodies of speedway, both national and international, to do so should they consider it necessary.

Edited by BertHoven

Hello Bert. Nice to see you have your old codger avatar at last!

You and Trees are both right. Unless NP matures as a rider from his own volition, he may cause some terrible catastrophe and find it's too late to be sorry. I'm quite sure he knows this already, but believes there is no other way to win races and be successful. Here is where advice from others may help him improve his game.

The only way the speedway fraternity can advise him of the error of his ways, sadly, is retrospectively - assuming we ever get an effective disciplinary code policed consistently, without fear or favour. And as I say, it'll be too late by then.

"assuming we ever get an effective disciplinary code policed consistently, without fear or favour. And as I say, it'll be too late by then."

I doubt whether the Brirtish domestic authorities, as they now stand, can achieve that. That's why I included 'internationsl'; i.e. the FIM who could, hopefully, put very large rockets under certain chairs at Rugby!

Glad you like the avatar- apart from the moustache it-s not a bad likeness!

I doubt whether the Brirtish domestic authorities, as they now stand, can achieve that. That's why I included 'internationsl'; i.e. the FIM who could, hopefully, put very large rockets under certain chairs at Rugby!

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the FIM to act, it could seriously damage your life expectancy.

But the Poles don't seem to have any problems with Nicki P. He's as good as gold over there. Maybe he's seen the way the Poles discipline riders and has drawn his own conclusions. Robert Kasprzak suspended for 6 months for attacking Rune Holta after an incident in the Leszno-Czestochowa clash a couple of weeks ago.