British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tony159

World Cup Joker !

Who ever decided to keep the World Cup joker ?/

It took team G.B. 15 heats last night to build up a 6 point lead over Denmark .

If in heat 16 a G.B rider had been leading the race and had an Engine Failure and the Danish rider in that race had ended up winning the race the scores would have then been level !!!!!!

Wouldnt that have been a total farce ?

Also if a rider had been injured in the first race , by a rider who was excluded for unfair riding , and been unabled to ride again in the meeting that team would have been without a rider in at least 3 races.

Who thought up these rules ?????

Edited by tony159

Yes I would still think the rule is daft .

Okay think it would not be quite so daft if a team was 10 points or more down .

But why should a team be able to catch up in just one ride ??

Who on God's own earth decided to call it the "Joker"? It conjurs up images of "It's a knockout" and Stuart Hall laughing. Actually, he'd be howling with laughter if someone explained to him the various corruptions of speedway's rules since Sky came on board.

Think JOKER is a great name for it .

Why should a team be able to make up being 6 points behind in one race ?

Just as dumb as TR rule in league racing! Why should any team have any tactical opportunities? this is supposed to be world championship racing designed to find the best team on the track, for goodness sake! Nobody should need tactical leg-ups of any description.

What next? Give Jason Crump a double-pointed joker if he's 6 points behind Tony Rickardsson in the next GP! :mad::rolleyes:

You wont be complaining when we use it in the final :wink:

Got it in one!Of course people wont complain! :rolleyes:

Yes I would still think the rule is daft .

Okay think it would not be quite so daft if a team was 10 points or more down .

But why should a team be able to catch up in just one ride ??

So Britain win the world cup for arguments sake and they've done it using the joker, you will be praising them on a magnificant victory and there will not be one mention of the joker being used. I know there's patriotism but you are not being fair to the other countries by always swiping at them, plainly being biased! :mad: And as for being biased, someone wants a word with sky!There is more than one team in the world cup by the way so try and make it look like a speedway meeting rather than the Great Britain show or "England" as Norris said! :mad::rolleyes:

Dont think what Country you support comes into it .

The rule is DAFT .

If any team wins the W.C. having used the JOKER by a point or two .......

Will only make the event a total farce . :angry:

And presumably it only appeared to pacify the numbskulls who run TV sports broadcasts? :rolleyes:

Oh for the days of pure speedway racing I stress the word 'racing' because that is how all the points were scored. Three points were awarded for a win, two for second place, one for third place and none for fourth. How how simple - and fully effective.

What's the difference between a tactical ride, a tactical substitute and a 'joker'? There isn't any - they are all a massive joke! If my memory serves me well [and I'm sure someone will tell me if not!] they were introduced to prevent runaway victories, and for the benefit of Sky television viewers, who would not necessarily be fans. Have they stopped massive point differences? They have not, as a cursory glance at the Belle Vue results of recent weeks will confiem. No doubt there have been similar results at other tracks. So has the system of the man wearing the funny hat being awarded a 100% increase in what he has earned achieved that object?. It, blatantly has not and, as has been outlined above it could have resulted in a stupid result last night at Swindon.

Will we ever see the end of this spurious scoring system together with the play-off tragi-comedy. I predict that we will! When?.....This year.......next year......sometime......never as long as any television company has a financial interest in our sport.

Meantime, dear friends, the pantomime continues because they're behind us. Oh! yes they are!!

Edited by BertHoven

Well said, Bert. Shame those in lofty positions of power will ignore such well-reasoned words for their own incomprehensible purposes.

Got it in one!Of course people wont complain! :rolleyes:

So Britain win the world cup for arguments sake and they've done it using the joker, you will be praising them on a magnificant victory and there will not be one mention of the joker being used. I know there's patriotism but you are not being fair to the other countries by always swiping at them, plainly being biased! :mad: And as for being biased, someone wants a word with sky!There is more than one team in the world cup by the way so try and make it look like a speedway meeting rather than the Great Britain show or "England" as Norris said! :mad:  :rolleyes:

Oh yes there will! If the English team win the world cup because one of the team wore a funny hat and I am aware that he did so, I swear on my Belle Vue season ticket that I will 'mention' it on this forum - probably in bold red italic font!

It's a matter of principle!

Why isnt a reserve rider not allowed to replace an injured rider .

Even football allow a few replacements ...

Feel this rule will come back to haunt the event sooner or later .

What if the team leading the event has to ride a few races without a rider ?

Even worse if that rider is injured by an opposing rider whose team go on to win the Cup !!!!!!!!

Edited by tony159

The joker is there purely for television reasons.

The speedway world cup is there for purely television reasons....this competition was dead and buried before BSI came along a resurrected it...so it's their competiton threfore they can make any rules they wish.

If you don't like it don't watch it!!!!!!

In 10 years time when sky have got fed up of the constant bitching from the old gits on this forum what you going to do then bitch about the lack of speedway on tv.

Edited by Chainmilen