British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tony159

World Cup Joker !

No .

Just get old tapes of Its a Knock Out and watch them .

Feel this rule will come back to haunt the event sooner or later .

It did. 2001 when Paul Hurry was injured and GB had to use there tac subs to replace him, it mean Neil could do nothing tactically and we had no chance.

The joker is there purely for television reasons.

The speedway world cup is there for purely television reasons....this competition was dead and buried before BSI came along a resurrected it...so it's their competiton threfore they can make any rules they wish.

If you don't like it don't watch it!!!!!!

In 10 years time when sky have got fed up of the constatnt bitching from the old gits on this forum what you going to do then bitch about the lack of speedway on tv.

Great post just makes me laugh at people stuck in 1960 .

Sky and bsi have saved speedway from the brink with great things like gp ,world cups and play offs etc but still get the uncle albert when i was in the navy mob moaning :mad::mad:

Sky and bsi have saved speedway from the brink with great things like gp ,world cups and play offs etc but still get the uncle albert when i was in the navy mob moaning  :mad:  :mad:

Hey Orion - what happened to the picture of Waggy? Made me guffaw(!) every time I saw it.

There is a lot to be said in favour of Sky - and despite various gripes BSI. However, I'm with Uncle Albert on this one. We often lament that speedway isn't taken seriously when it is such a great sport and spectacle. But world championships should be on merit and for that reason I do not think that it does the sport any crebibility to artificially enhance a teams performance. I also despair that riders do not have a chance to compete to break into the Grand Prix series. Yes there should be some automatic qualification based on performance in the previous years GP but I think it is a great shame that riders can only break into the series on the whim of BSI and whoever has their ear.

I'm not anti BSI and certainly not anti Sky. But I think that the sport will be enhanced by addressing these issues.

Sky and bsi have saved speedway from the brink with great things like gp ,world cups and play offs etc but still get the uncle albert when i was in the navy mob moaning  :mad:  :mad:

Very true indeed, I have been going to speedway since 1957, but speedway today is far more exciting than it ever has been, you can always argue about which individuals were the best, but, overall speedway is far more superior than it was in the black and white 50's and 60's! So there!

Very true indeed, I have been going to speedway since 1957, but speedway today is far more exciting than it ever has been, you can always argue about which individuals were the best, but, overall speedway is far more superior than it was in the black and white 50's and 60's! So there!

And that's the point. It simply doesn't need gimmicks.

Totally agree Subedei.

Speedway is a great sport .

Why keep inventing stupid rules to make it look a joke to the part time viewer ?

Very true indeed, I have been going to speedway since 1957, but speedway today is far more exciting than it ever has been, you can always argue about which individuals were the best, but, overall speedway is far more superior than it was in the black and white 50's and 60's!  So there!

Sorry pete after the smith kk affair i have total respect for your views :D:D

ps any chance of laying me some 7-1 on betfair for the danes ? :P

And that's the point. It simply doesn't need gimmicks.

Totally agree Subedei.  Speedway is a great sport .  Why keep inventing stupid rules to make it look a joke to the part time viewer ?

Many of us agree with these sentiments, but it seems those in authority have always tinkered with the rules to the detriment of the overall spectacle. Speedway's now an infinitely more complex sport than it's ever been before, and none the better for that complexity. The simplicity and elegance of the sport is its core competence - why can't anyone else see that and therefore remove the burden of cumbersome regulation and bureaucracy?

Edited by AndyM

And presumably it only appeared to pacify the numbskulls who run TV sports broadcasts?  :rolleyes:

The idea of "tactical rides" for league competition was the brainchild of the late Simon Wigg. No doubt BSI decided they liked the idea and adopted it for the SWC. Personally I am against it in any competition and I'd be hard pushed to think of any other fan I've spoken to who approves of it, but TV does pull the strings in most sports nowadays, so I guess it's here to stay. :sad:

It really grieves me that BSI have been given a 20-year licence to play fast and loose with our beloved sport in this way. :sad:

Sorry pete after the smith kk affair i have total respect for your views  :D  :D

ps any chance of laying me some 7-1 on betfair for the danes ? :P

The Danes orion! to quote Mc enroe, "You cannot be serious"

I actually think the joker rule is a really great idea .

I do think it be improved a bit !!

How about if your team gets 8 points behind you make all four riders in the next race run around the track wearing a bloody great big inflatable speedway helmet, points awarded as normal, if for any reason their is a tie you have a race off egg and spoon race

Just prove what a great thing it is tonight made the old farts look like fools again

Well done bsi again :approve:

Have to agree, it actually added to the meeting FOR THE ONE AND PROBABLY ONLY TIME!!!