British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Pre-war Wembley

I realise this might be a bit of a long shot but does anyone have the Wembley riders' averages (or %ages) for 1930 and 1932? Or know where I can get them.

Also, I am on the look-out (for my next book) for photographs of pre-War Wembley riders such as Buster Frogley, Ginger Lees, Harry Whitfield, Frank Charles, Gordon Byers, George Greenwood, Norman Evans, etc. etc.

Thank you.

I realise this might be a bit of a long shot but does anyone have the Wembley riders' averages (or %ages) for 1930 and 1932? Or know where I can get them.

Also, I am on the look-out (for my next book) for photographs of pre-War Wembley riders such as Buster Frogley, Ginger Lees, Harry Whitfield, Frank Charles, Gordon Byers, George Greenwood, Norman Evans, etc. etc.

Thank you.

Wembley ended up with a number of Newcastle riders matey, Gordon, Harry and Norman all are shown on my site www.newcastlespeedwayhistory.co.uk I have other pictures not on the site which we can discuss in time

Just to let you all know that the latest book off the norbold production line, Wembley The Pre-War Years, is being published today.

It is being officially launched at High Beech on 19 February but will be available before then from bookshops (including on-line bookshops) or direct from Tempus before then.

Edited by norbold

Thank you.

I have a few pics!

Just to let you all know that the latest book off the norbold production line, Wembley The Pre-War Years, is being published today.

It is being officially launched at High Beech on 19 February but will be available before then from bookshops (including on-line bookshops) or direct from Tempus before then.

might just have to get one of these!

Did anyone see the excellent piece about the new (greater) redevelopment going on around Wembley during yesterday's coverage of the Masters Snooker on BBC 2..?? :unsure:

Included a piece on the history of the Empire Pool/Wembley Arena and some archive footage of Sir Arthur Elvin talking about the Pool at the time of its opening (for the '34 Empire Games, wasn't it..??).

Interestingly when the presenter Ray Stubbs listed all the sports that have been staged there Speedway was actually mentioned second or third on his list : ahead of Cycling and Tennis!!! :)

Ironically one of the buildings being cleared for the surrounding redevelopment (this was the theme of the piece, coz also now rubble is the former home of the Snooker there, the Conference Centre) is the unloved concrete monstrosity that had Sir. Arthur’s name: Elvin House office block..

An interesting aside too is that the ‘Empire Pool’ only ditched its by then long anachronistic name in 1978 – so Ivan Mauger’s win in the 1979 indoor Speedway there was actually among the first tranche of sports events to be held in the newly named Arena.

I see that at the revamped place there’s a ‘hall of fame' thingy and we saw Stephen Hendry putting his hand prints there..: how about Wembley having our Ivan do likewise, eh..?? :unsure:

PS I hope you’ve noted that rather than start a new thread I’ve added this as a reply to norbold’s earlier thread, coz it is about pre-war Wembley..: AND draws attention to that geezer Jacobs’ excellent book on the subject..??!! Neat, huh..?? Crawling will (hopefully..!) get me every where…!! ;)

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

Only a year late, Parsloes. What happened? Did you get stuck at some red lights? :)

I see that at the revamped place there’s a ‘hall of fame' thingy and we saw Stephen Hendry putting his hand prints there..: how about Wembley having our Ivan do likewise, eh..?? :unsure:

Even better, how about Ove Fundin's handprint? If ever there was a Master of Wembley it must have been Ove.

Even better, how about Ove Fundin's handprint? If ever there was a Master of Wembley it must have been Ove.

But the 'Square of Fame' as it's called apparently, is on the concourse of the Arena (aka Empire Pool) and so is for famous performers who've appeared in that venue not the Stadium..

That's why I made the reference to Ivan Mauger's win in the 1979 indoor meeting: which let's face it in Speedway terms was hardly Wembley's greatest moment..??!!) ;)

If there was a hand print hall of fame for the Stadium itself we should get Jack Ormston and Gordon Byers to get their hands mucky before it's too late.