British Speedway Forum
Vintageman

Television Commentaries And Interviews

What bugged me about Sophie Blake is that she showed absolutely s0d all consideration for the riders whose English is not superb.

my theory is they can all understand what she is saying but they are to busy looking down her top to take any notice of what she is asking and so make something up based on one of the few words they picked up, and who can blame them?

And Shortoi - chill! Speaking slower wouldn't have helped poor old Mr. Walasek! Point is - sophie isn't going to go, she is too popular.

Slowing down and using easier words makes a lot of difference. Of course it does. And why is it 'poor old Mr Walasek'? I reckon it's 'poor old Sophie' for not having the brains to realise this.

You also find that the same people who can't understand why other peple can't speak perfect English tend to make a funny face, safrican american, or go 'Ooookkkaaaaayyyy' if ever someone speaks fluently in another language other than English, as if doing so makes you some kind of retard.

Typical English reaction to johnny foreigner I'm afraid.

Sophie's best effort had to be the one that went something like:

T Gollob: "Not today important, is Saturday."

S Blake: "You're that confident of making it through to the final?"

T Gollob: "Sorry, what is confident?"

S Blake: "So, you're that confident of making it through to the final?"

I remember that little nugget.

I also remember that brown, low cut top she was wearing. Cameraman was in a prime spot to give us a glimpse down it. :D

sorry to keep mentioning sophie's breasts

Edited by superjoe

sorry to keep mentioning sophie's breasts

No you're not. :P Suspect you were already subconsciously thinking of them when you referred to nuggets in that post too!! ;):o:D

What bugged me about Sophie Blake is that she showed absolutely s0d all consideration for the riders whose English is not superb.

Using vocab and sky slang that, if a German person was using to me, I would never have understood! She didn't even bother to slow down!! She said she would and then rattled off at the usual pace, leaving the poor rider bemused and feeling like a right prat.

It's quite clear that she's never bothered her backside to try and learn a foreign language.  :mad:

I fear she's there for her looks rather than her intellect, Shortoi. She looks reasonably attractive on camera, but having said that what else is there to say? I see girls on the terraces at Kirky Lane each week no less attractive, and much better presented.

As for learning a language, I suggest she should start with English Practical.

I don't dislike Miss Blake - she is too bland to stir me to that much emotion.

I see girls on the terraces at Kirky Lane each week no less attractive, and much better presented.

Where? point me in their direction please bert :D

actually i can think of a couple i've seen around the place.

Sophie Blake is CRAP!

Sorry guys but other than something to look at so you all think she is absolutely useless and seems to think she is something special she flirts with anyone she speaks to so that must make her pretty desperate!

Where? point me in their direction please bert  :D

'It's cos you've got your eyes too closely fixed on Sophie's knockers, the reason you can't see them on the terraces, Joe.

'It's called 'myopia', chuckled wicked >>> senile >>> old Uncle Mr. Clemens!!!

worried by wicked chuckling>>> backing away slowly>>> scary Mr Clemens.

and I am not short sighted , I said I have seen a few lovely ladies around the stadium from time to time.

Where? point me in their direction please bert  :D

Hey Joe,

I thought you were a red-blooded young man. Don't expect me to believe you only go to watch the racing - and mark your programme!!

Bert.

Edited by BertHoven

Using vocab and sky slang that, if a German person was using to me, I would never have understood! She didn't even bother to slow down!! She said she would and then rattled off at the usual pace, leaving the poor rider bemused and feeling like a right prat.

It's quite clear that she's never bothered her backside to try and learn a foreign language.  :mad:

I'm surprised Sky choose to interview riders whose English is poor without an interpreter. It's common knowledge in speedway that Grzegorz Walasek hardly speaks the language, and even Sophie said before the interview that he was worried about his English. Someone who speaks both languages should have been next to him.

I remember an Oxford v Belle Vue meeting on Sky when Tomasz Jedrzejak got excluded. Jane Omorogbe shoved a microphone in his face and he was really struggling with the language. I felt sorry for him, as I did with Grzegorz.

I fear she's there  for her looks rather than her intellect

It annoys me when people get jobs on TV just because of their looks. Sky seem to be one of the biggest culprits. There's a girl on Sky Sports News called Di Stewart and she can't put a sentence together without making a mistake. It's embarrassing watching her getting her words mixed up all the time.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Sophie 1.gif

Remember Jane? It could be worse, so be grateful we have Sophie now.

On the subject of riders with poor English it would be easy to forget that not all foreigners speak good English. So many of them speak very good English. The Danes and Swedes in particular, who even pick up slang and accents.

You can discuss the rights and wrongs all day but learning English is far more important to foreigners than for us to learn a foreign language. English is the most widely spoken language in the World, both as a first language and as a second language.

With regard to Greg Walasek it would have made sense to have Jarek or Pepe on hand to help him out. Both of them have spent time over here, and speak good English. There's a chance they would pick up on some of the slang as well.

I wish it were possible to turn off the commentary at times, but only if I could turn the bikes up. :approve:

;)

Hey Joe,

I thought you were a red-blooded young man.  Don't expect me to believe you only go to watch the racing - and mark your programme!!

Bert.

Yeah thats all i go to speedway for Bert.

honestly

honestly :unsure: