British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RogH

The Way Ahead - Hull Style

From Hul Daily Mail

VIKINGS COULD GO 'HOME' TO HEDON

Hull Cpd Vikings could return to their 1940s home next season.

The out-of-town Hedon Aerodrome site is one of two earmarked by Hull City Council for the reigning treble champions.

The other is near Makro, alongside Clive Sullivan Way.

A third location - Chapman Street - has now been ruled out, due to lack of size.

Vikings are also likely to share their home with the greyhounds.

At the moment, the Hedon site appears the favourite, especially given Vikings must leave Craven Park next month, having been unable to agree a new deal with Hull KR.

Councillor Phil Webster, the Council's portfolio holder for sport and sports development, confirmed: "Chapman Street is big enough for a track, but not to fit in spectators.

"We still have two other sites under consideration, one is where the old go-kart site was housed on the Humber corridor.

"The other is the Hedon Aerodrome site."

Their old home at Hedon appears to give Vikings the best chance of racing next season as it is City-Council owned, even though it lies under East Riding Council jurisdiction for planning purposes.

The central site is undeniably a better location, but is privately owned so could have an extra cost, joins into a main highway and may have implications for the wildlife.

Those factors may make it impossible for Vikings to take their place in the Premier League next March, and force them to take a year out.

Webster explained: "We've had an informal conversation with the East Riding regarding planning permission.

"We have already contacted the private owners of the second site.

"As a Council we would possibly need to either purchase or lease a four-acre piece of that land.

"A valuation is currently being carried out."

Webster acknowledged both sites have plusses and minuses, especially concerning the timescale of the project.

He added: "Hedon is probably favourite on the speedway front, but for longer-term sustainability it may be the more central location is better.

"My personal view is I would like to keep speedway at a more central location."

Vikings' owner Paul Hodder was delighted that further progress is being made, but sees the pros and cons of both sites.

He said: "Hedon is our former home and, timescale-wise, the easier option, which gives us the best chance of continuity of speedway racing.

"However, the central site is very high profile."

Webster meets the City Council leader and deputy next week to discuss the Vikings.

The next inter-departmental meetings will also include representatives of the greyhounds.

The way ahead for Hull is without Paul Hodder, simple as that.

All this talk about a new 'stadium' for the Vikings is all pie in the sky. Who will pay for it exactly? I bet when it comes to the crunch the funding just won't be there.

As for the Hull Council, well they may assist in finding a suitable venue but I bet they won't be too forthcoming with this new venture's funding.

I'm not saying you'll be wrong because I don't know, but that's a highly cynical attitude.

The Council's track record is not bad with £43M spent on the KC Stadium, £500,000 just been allocated to Hull KR, and much support over the years for the Ice Hockey team.

I think that the new stadium would be Council owned and managed, and like the KC would be home to various events as well as speedway and the dogs.

The Council are well aware of the prestige that accrues from successful sporting teams, and also the loss of prestige when a professional sports team folds.

Even before planning permission is applied for, potential sponsors are making themselves known, this would go some way to defraying the construction costs.

I think you should give them a bit more credit.

Regards the management of the club, shall we say there is a long time between now and March 2007, plenty can happen.

Edited by RogH

I haven't heard about the Hull Vikings for ages now. Are they still trying to find a new home? What was wrong with the Hedon Aerodrome site any way?

Apparently Hull KR want a new stadium which could leave Craven Park for Speedway and dogs, however the dog people have saved the Boulevarde from the bulldozers.

Also, control of the council has now changed from Labour to Lib Dem, whether that will make any difference we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by fireblade

So the Boulevard has been saved, interesting!

Always liked Craven park facility wise even though the speedway track was to narrow in my opinion.

If HKR rugby team do get a new stadium then Craven Park would be ideal for speedway and greyhounds. I'm sure that the Boulevard would be a complete no goer trying to get planning permision for speedway being right in the middle of housing?

Therefore wouldn't it be best for everyone if eventually the Boulevard was sold for housing and then Craven Park is used for speedway with a wider circuit, dogs and possibly other events like an all weather pitch in the middle?

Cravan Park was the best stadium for viewing but like you say the track was a bit narrow for over taking.

Just last week I went to look at the Hedon Aerodrome site and it seems like a great place to have a speedway track. It's a little out of town and there might be a few noise complaints, but if somebody really wanted to I think they could get planning permission for track there.

Cravan Park was the best stadium for viewing but like you say the track was a bit narrow for over taking.

Just last week I went to look at the Hedon Aerodrome site and it seems like a great place to have a speedway track. It's a little out of town and there might be a few noise complaints, but if somebody really wanted to I think they could get planning permission for track there.

The old Hedon track was a great venue. Remember especially Mick Mitchell and Alf Webster riding there.

Regardless of the ins and outs of the funding, it's good to hear that the local council up there are being helpful regarding sites.

Although it's not an area I know well, the Hedon airfield site sounds the best to me; a historically noisey location, with loads of room, in the arse-end of nowhere. Sounds perfect for a nice, big, racey track to me.