British Speedway Forum
Richspeedway

In Years To Come

Oh yes?  Who made the rule that football fans can't watch speedway or vice versa? 

Didn't know there was one!

Perhaps I could have phrased it better though. When I go to speedway I want to see speedway and when I go to football.................

Where did I say football fans can't watch speedway :blink:

Well Mylor with that way of thinking I can see why british speedway is in Trouble.

Are you trying to tell us that speedway's in trouble because we don't care much for sidecars?

Are you trying to tell us that speedway's in trouble because we don't care much for sidecars?

No Mate, After reading the last couple of posts I can understand your comments (we dont have teams racing over here I wish we did but not enough numbers distances ect prevent it).

But I still think sidecars at the end of each solo round or after every 4th solo race would attract more people ect.

Sidecars over here pull the same or dare i say it bigger crowds than solos.

Now I will admit I have never even seen a English teams meeting live so it only a suggestion.

It would take a brave promoter to try it.

But this day and age the paying public expect more and more for their entertainment dollor sorry Pound!

Its just that New things need to be trialed.

Gillman South Aust have introduced 250cc go carts I hate the things, but it introduces people to the solos and sidecars that normally would not attend speedway.

Any way its only a suggestion.

Now I will admit I have never even seen a English teams meeting live so it only a suggestion.

The sidecar idea has been suggested before. Unfortunately, sidecars aren't a great spectacle on many British tracks because they're generally too small and narrow to accommodate them properly.

Sidecars made appearances quite often and have been excellent - why on earth do you think they aren't a spectacle? They've often provided better entertainment than the speedway match. Maybe that's the problem!! :unsure:

Sidecars made appearances quite often and have been excellent - why on earth do you think they aren't a spectacle?

I've mostly seen them on smaller, tighter tracks like Reading and Oxford. IMO, they work better around places like Coventry.

I'd have to agree with Kevin.I've seen a few meetings here with sidecar racing and it's not the same as on the longtracks.Quad racing is maybe more suited to smaller speedway tracks.They have also started running shorttrack racing alonside speedway on some tracks here,which has brought howls of protest from some.Think Teterow also had rally cars this year on the Bergring.

Would have to say,having been yestarday to a meeting with 2 500cc classes,a sidecar class and 3 different 50/80cc and a 250cc , i much prefer a simple team meeting with maybe a junior group interspersed between the heats.Although the youngsters must get their chance,all the breaks for presentations are boring and lets face it 50cc and 80cc speedway on a normal speedway track are no spectacle either.

I've mostly seen them on smaller, tighter tracks like Reading and Oxford. IMO, they work better around places like Coventry.

Admittedly I've seen them most often at Coventry, but Sandy Lane is reasonably wide - I'd have thought it was great to watch them fence-scraping there!