British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Main Man

American League Starts Today 2

Guest speedyguy
Not really sure who has fast-tracked to the top - certainly not the likes of Lindback and Hampel to name two, they've done it the same as everyone else, hard work and results  - and they still have a way to go. Been given opportunities yes, but they still have to go out and race the top guys and find their level. I would agree with your argument if i could, but apart from giving lads chances to shine and then picking the best to go forward, I don't see any evidence of fast-tracking and that any of the moves afoot to give the youngsters a chance is deterimental to the sport as a whole. Has Simon Stead for example been fast-tracked? Or Chris Harris? They've done the same as everyone else - shown raw talent, been given the chance and taken it. If the places were clogged up with old boys then they may have given up years ago. The nature of the sport is such that fast-tracking would only work for those with talent - if they don't score then they're soon out on their ear. Unlike other sports, the margin for progression and failure is so much more acute and the duds soon hit the wayside. For all these lads out in the States chancing their arm in the mini-leagues, there might be one or two who will make it to the big-time. But without the chances who knows whether there's the next decades Hamill Hancock or Penhall? I say fair play to them - and good luck! A strong American scene with plenty of young enthusiastic riders is what we need for the sport worldwide!

I still don't see why you are so opposed to the youth having chances though - can you not see that today's youngsters will be the stars of the future? It's OK quoting the names of rid ers from years long past (who I have to admit I've never heard of) but who is say that these guys who you're rubbishing don't have the same effect on some of todays fans. As I said before,it's all relative.

Phew...need a lie down now. It's too early for such serious debate.  :blink: Apologies MainMan for hijacking the thread somewhat. Please keep the info coming from Stateside. I'd hate for any of those taking part look in on this and think we all share Speedyguy's views.

The fast-tracking I was refering to was in the CL - which I am forced to see if I want to go to speedway. I had in mind the grade-2 average system and the age-related averages. The former led to the exclusion of the latter - ie force kids in, force out the old-timers. Why should we get so excited over a mini-league in the USA. Leagues have been tried several times post-war on the west coast and a form of league racing tried on the east coast around 1936 and 1937. Thw American fans didn't take to leagues before and I doubt if they will now. For speedway to survive in the USA it needs to be an individual affair - that's why it is so far behind its kindred car speedway sports like sprint car and midget car racing. I don't think this USA league will even be remembered by the start of next summer.

Well Speedguy it will!! And it will go from strength to strength as that is what the likes of Steve Evans and Gary Gomez are aiming for.

As posted many times you cannot live in the past as you seem to and every time there is something innovative or someone trying to achieve something you are straight in there knocking it and saying it won't work --examples 1. This 2. The Kiwi Kids tour , 3. Simon Stead going to ride in Oz titles this winter on another thread (Si actually goes over most years basing himself at Perth and when I was over 2 years ago he was just skidding occasionally to test out his arm but enjoying a rest --this time it's a working holiday).

For a change give someone a chance and support their efforts. I'm surprised you've not been on saying that Tony Phillips, Julie Davies and myself stand no chance of finding a new track in West Wales --because WE WILL!!

Right that's my rant over !!

Congrats to the USA boys on two successful meetings last weekend. :)

Edited by Main Man

Speedwayguy,

You really don't get it do you. We are not trying to re invent the wheel here. We are very much aware of the past and the tries. We also know that people told us we couldn't go 5,000 miles across the world to race against Conference league teams in March or April and you know what we did it with one rainoff.

We are trying to teach the younger riders, that are possibly hoping to someday get the dream of racing in the UK on a Team how to do it.

Why are you so much against what we are doing.Whewre does it say in any of our post that we are trying to get rid of the older riders.

I say fair play to them - and good luck! A strong American scene with plenty of young enthusiastic riders is what we need for the sport worldwide!

Please keep the info coming from Stateside. I'd hate for any of those taking part look in on this and think we all share Speedyguy's views.

Spooky,but i find myself agreeing with Rabbs again ;) I remember seeing Scott Autrey and Sumner McKnight ride in the second-half at Plough Lane,which if we ignore Keeter and Bast's little sojourn was the start of the second american invasion.The riders from the U.S have over the years brought to the sport something extra that probably no other nation could have.It looked to me tha all that was ending.I hope this new venture brings the youngsters through.Good job a lot of people don't take the attitude that because something failed in 19whatever its sure to fail again.Just have to look at the new venture in Spain and it's the same thing from speedyguy."blah,blah...1947 failed,..blah,i remember seeing San Miguel in 1953...."

I say,go for it.Hope to see positive results over the next year or so :D

Guest speedyguy
Spooky,but i find myself agreeing with Rabbs again ;) I remember seeing Scott Autrey and Sumner McKnight ride in the second-half at Plough Lane,which if we ignore Keeter and Bast's little sojourn was the start of the second american invasion.The riders from the U.S have over the years brought to the sport something extra that probably no other nation could have.It looked to me tha all that was ending.I hope this new venture brings the youngsters through.Good job a lot of people don't take the attitude that because something failed in 19whatever its sure to fail again.Just have to look at the new venture in Spain and it's the same thing from speedyguy."blah,blah...1947 failed,..blah,i remember seeing San Miguel in 1953...."

I say,go for it.Hope to see positive results over the next year or so :D

What exactly has been achieved in Spain apart from a demonstration ride on an uncompleted track a week or so ago?

Blimey Speedyguy you're off again!! Give Russell Paine a chance will you --it's only just begun!! Yet again you are being negative about something new --the 1940's are over and gone, never to be revisited !!

Give the guy credit for having the balls to do what he is doing --who knows in 10 years time promoters may be clammering after riders from Spain???

Anyway this thread was about the American League--how the heck have we got on to talking about Spain???? :blink:

Guest speedyguy
Blimey Speedyguy you're off again!! Give Russell Paine a chance will you --it's only just begun!! Yet again you are being negative about something new --the 1940's are over and gone, never to be revisited !!

Give the guy credit for having the balls to do what he is doing --who knows in 10 years time promoters may be clammering after riders from Spain???

Anyway this thread was about the American League--how the heck have we got on to talking about Spain???? :blink:

You tell me! Do you want to know anything about the old pre-war Spanish riders, the brothers Poto Primo and Poto Segundo (yes that is correct). I think they also appeared in second-half races at Wembley around 1933.

You tell me! Do you want to know anything about the old pre-war Spanish riders, the brothers Poto Primo and Poto Segundo (yes that is correct). I think they also appeared in second-half races at Wembley around 1933.

Having followed this thread with initial interest in the American League, and then reading some of the comments from Speedy Guy, i can only comment that far too many people in this sport live in the past.

This Dinosaur approach has nearly brought the sport to it's knees on a few occassions in the past and we can only thank the lord above that SpeedyGuy is not a memeber of the BSPA.

To decry the the purpose of the CL as fastracking youngsters is quite ludicrous. I find it even more incredible that Speedy Guy watches CL himself at Wimbledon, im suprised i havent seen similar comments on the Wimbledon thread laughing off any future attempt to find an alternative site for the Dons, purely because it couldn't be done 150 years ago or over a similar time scale.

Indeed, the history of the sport is very important, but this outdated ranting really doesnt do anyone within the sport anygood. I assume you wish to keep seeing regular speedway Speedyguy, but if there were many others adopting a similar theory to yours inside the sport, i fear we would all be doomed and speedway would be out of existence within 10 years!!

Guest speedyguy
Having followed this thread with initial interest in the American League, and then reading some of the comments from Speedy Guy, i can only comment that far too many people in this sport live in the past.

This Dinosaur approach has nearly brought the sport to it's knees on a few occassions in the past and we can only thank the lord above that SpeedyGuy is not a memeber of the BSPA.

To decry the the purpose of the CL as fastracking youngsters is quite ludicrous.  I find it even more incredible that Speedy Guy watches CL himself at Wimbledon, im suprised i havent seen similar comments on the Wimbledon thread laughing off any future attempt to find an alternative site for the Dons, purely because it couldn't be done 150 years ago or over a similar time scale.

Indeed, the history of the sport is very important, but this outdated ranting really doesnt do anyone within the sport anygood. I assume you wish to keep seeing regular speedway Speedyguy, but if there were many others adopting a similar theory to yours inside the sport, i fear we would all be doomed and speedway would be out of existence within 10 years!!

My comments on finding the Dons a new home are well-chronicled. I started the actual Conference League theme about where the club might be based in 2006.

I cannot understand why, if we are so keen to help British youngsters into the sport via the CL, there is so much excitement because a league-of-sorts has sprung up in the USA and the possibility that this could produce riders for our leagues. Similar thoughts exist in regard to a suggested Kiwi tour to Britain in 2006 with the suggestion it might find riders for our teams.

If we want to encourage British talent, why back the American League (one track four teams?). Is it not a general throught in the sport that there are too many foreign riders racing here anyway? Not that much can be done about the EU riders - there's laws in regard to employment rights to back them.

I feel a yearning for the days of Vic Duggan, Frank Dolan and Jimmy Gibb...if only we could. Class riders with lots of persona. Ooops - stop the nostalgia!!

My comments on finding the Dons a new home are well-chronicled. I started the actual Conference League theme about where the club might be based in 2006.

I cannot understand why, if we are so keen to help British youngsters into the sport via the CL, there is so much excitement because a league-of-sorts has sprung up in the USA and the possibility that this could produce riders for our leagues. Similar thoughts exist in regard to a suggested Kiwi tour to Britain in 2006 with the suggestion it might find riders for our teams.

If we want to encourage British talent, why back the American League (one track four teams?). Is it not a general throught in the sport that there are too many foreign riders racing here anyway? Not  that much can be done about the EU riders - there's laws in regard to employment rights to back them.

I feel a yearning for the days of Vic Duggan, Frank Dolan and Jimmy Gibb...if only we could. Class riders with lots of persona. Ooops - stop the nostalgia!!

We are mereley showing an interest in a foreign Speedway League. This does not mean that we are not interested in the development of youth in the UK.

If the foreigners that we have racing in the UK at the moment were absent, we would have a pretty poor product on our hands. It is a fact that as a small country, and not a big Speedway nation, we have to rely heavily on foreign riders competing in the UK, and in my view, i dont ever see this changing.

Shouldn't we as Speedway fans be supporting efforts around the World to try and make speedway better and stronger, wether that be in New Zealand, USA or any other Nation. I would expect any Speedway fan to be pleased that some sort of racing on a team level was being put together in the states, it does none of us any personal harm and people are working hard on trying to make the sport a success, and instead of decrying what they are trying to do perhaps offer them some words of encouragement. Surely it is in everyones interests that they succeed.

Well said speedway2006 :) --but you will find Speedyguy lives in the past and is against any forward thinking and promotion of any type.

Why is SpeedwayGuy even on this thread if he is not interested in international speedway? :unsure:

My guess is, he needs to look at what the real issue is in his life and I bet it has nothing to do with speedway...

I say lets not respond to his loving comments and get back to what this thread is really about - SUPPORTING SPEEDWAY where ever it is... B)

Guest speedyguy
Why is SpeedwayGuy even on this thread if he is not interested in international speedway? :unsure:

My guess is, he needs to look at what the real issue is in his life and I bet it has nothing to do with speedway...

I say lets not respond to his loving comments and get back to what this thread is really about - SUPPORTING SPEEDWAY where ever it is...  B)

If by this you mean that speedway - international or domestic - is the real issue in your life, then I feel very sad.

I do follow international speedway very carefully, as well as the sport at a dometic level. I have been going to meetings since I went to New Cross in April 1946. And since then have seen the sport both in this country and in Europe.

Speedway is a passionate interest in my life but certainly not its real issue. To show how interested I am at international level, did you know that this coming Sunday's meeting at Rosebank in New Zealand has been called off because of bad weather? Did you know that Champion Speedway in Nre York State,USA, has staged its last ever meeting? Yes I support speedway and have done so for more than 59 years.

I like to debate issues and when I am proved wrong do acknowledge it.

Only just spotted this topic;

My thoughts after talking to various people over some months almost everyone says where are the next generation of Americans,after H&H we have, Yarrow,Janniro,Fisher then who?the Dream Team ,its looks to me the American Individual system was/is almost dead.

What they have in Baseball,American Football,etc is City Teams sponsored by big business if only America could get 10 or 12 Teams from various areas I believe it could really take off,but to do this one has to start somewhere and this is what the guys are trying to do.

What the next step should be is a team of riders from over here of say 14, visiting the USA annually riding as guests for various Teams then at the end of the series

we could have International matches official or otherwise riding against the Yanks,this i believe would put bums on seats.

I believe there would be no lack of riders willing to go to America,or sponsors in America,Obviously this would be in our close season. :wink:

Be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on something along these lines.

nly just spotted this topic;

What the next step should be is a team of riders from over here of say 14, visiting the USA annually riding as guests for various Teams then at the end of the series

we could have International matches official or otherwise riding against the Yanks,this i believe would put bums on seats.

I believe there would be no lack of riders willing to go to America,or sponsors in America,Obviously this would be in our close season. :wink:

Be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on something along these lines.

We are currently working on a plan to bring a UK Team over to the USA in early 2006 to stay for about four to six weeks and do a mini series with the possibility of the final race on a live webcast.Will give more info when we have it.