British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
REBELS77

The Look Of Riders Today

Is it me or do riders today dont look as smart as when there did in the 80s

I use to love seeing the world final and riders like Erik Gundersen would turn out in white leathers and he would have his National flag on his bodycolour the bodycolour would have a goldtrim,would look a class act.,now days in the Gps the nation flag is just a couple of inches long on top of bodycolour,I also thought the

bikes looked smarter with upright engingins and no front folks on the front wheel,I know im living in the past,but am I the only fan that thinks like this?????

Riders now have team race suits, and this does make them look smart and even the mechanics (at Wolves) anyway all wear Wolves grey and black shirts with the riders name on.

However it gets me the way they look when they arrive at the track.

Oald jeans, T Shirt, Trainers, Baseball hat and sponsors jacket.

When Wolves lifted the 2002 title, all riders had to wear matching tops and jackets and walk the track together. Was this just a coincedence that we acted as a team, looked like a team and rode like a team.

If riders are wearing matching race suits, surely it can be arranged for them to wear matching shirts and jackets aswell.

Oald jeans, T Shirt, Trainers, Baseball hat and sponsors jacket.

It's all about fashion, isn't it? As most Speedway riders are young, they obviously follow todays fashions, and most of today's fashionable young men wouldn't be seen dead in a tie and a sharp suit! They'd rather look like Bosnian refugees, 'cos that's what all the other non-speedway youngsters look like! It's not realistic to expect young Speedway riders to dress any differently.

now days in the Gps the nation flag is just a couple of inches long on top of bodycolour,

With the rest of the body colour filled up by sponsors names, it's the name of the game now.

Ian Turner, used to cause great amusement in the seventies by regularly turning up in a donkey jacket, much to Terry Betts's amusement who sent Ian a photograph inscribed "sponsored by Wimpey". This was mainly because the second half finalists at Lynn in those days all used to be given "rally jackets" every week to the point where Ian fancied something "different". He was also notoriously shy of publicity and recognition, preferring to let his actions on track do the talking.

But if you remember the England sides of the past sitting uncomfortably for photographs in their matching slacks, blazer, white shirt and striped tie in an effort to look professional? Think they'd have been happier in jeans and donkey jackets!

i have to say, alot of the riders seem to go with the same colour schemes, but this year, tomasz gollob has stood out like he always does, his green and blue always looks good together.

scott nicholls, with his bright green alan ham dots looked good, especially with his matching black hubs on his bike.

leigh adams always looks smart, with his red and illuminous yellow trim.

i personally love the look of the laydown bikes, i do miss upright bikes, as i do think there was better racing with them around, but the bikes look alot neater now when they have the full engine covers on, and of course, they provide valuable sponsorship areas on the bikes

Ian Turner, used to cause great amusement in the seventies by regularly turning up in a donkey jacket, much to Terry Betts's amusement who sent Ian a photograph inscribed "sponsored by Wimpey". This was mainly because the second half finalists at Lynn in those days all used to be given "rally jackets" every week to the point where Ian fancied something "different". He was also notoriously shy of publicity and recognition, preferring to let his actions on track do the talking.

He has not changed over the years. As I posted on the " best era of speedway", I see him every day. When I tell him he was one of my favourites he goes all bashful. Pinned a photo of him up on the office wall in his Kings Lynn days.Drives a lorry now and when he is nearly loaded I shout to him " Ian Turner is on two minutes". He normally comes back about 5 minutes later and says in our days two minutes was always a lot longer than it is today.Great guy.

Having just taken my 11 year old son to Belle Vue for the Craven Shield semi-final he commented that because of the team suits he found it hard to distinguish many of the riders and also pointed out that with all the lower part of the suits being black to conform to Sky's demands, it made it even harder when the riders were at the opposite end of the track.

Just shows that while many think the teams suits add some some sort of conformity(or uniformity if you excuse the pun) they have negative points too and my son said he prefered the PL as he could tell the riders apart more easily.

(Although he saw 5 World Champions on show he also commented that EL speedway should be renamed 'Make the Gate' as there was very little passing!)

most of today's fashionable young men wouldn't be seen dead in a tie and a sharp suit!

Don't know about the rest of you but something about a man in a suit and tie :P:approve:

Is it me or do riders today dont look as smart as when there did in the 80s

I use to love seeing the world final and riders like Erik Gundersen would turn out in white leathers and he would have his National flag on his bodycolour the bodycolour would have a goldtrim,would look a class act.,now days in the Gps the nation flag is just a couple of inches long on top of bodycolour,I also thought the

bikes looked smarter with upright engingins and no front folks on the front wheel,I know im living in the past,but am I the only fan that thinks like this?????

"no front folks on the front wheel"? pray tell me, Rebel, how was the front wheel attached to the other 95% of the motorcycle?

"no front folks on the front wheel"?  pray tell me, Rebel, how was the front wheel attached to the other 95% of the motorcycle?

"no front folks on the front wheel"?  pray tell me, Rebel, how was the front wheel attached to the other 95% of the motorcycle?

LOL very good point as I do remember watching the rebels that the bikes there were racing did have two wheels attacted