British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sniff

World Cup 2006

Is the world cup back in britain next year if so i think Peterborough may host it as they did not get one of the other three major events,just a thought :)

There is already a thread about this.

Funnily enough it is in the World Cup section B)

My sources tell me that coventry have been offered the final.

Please. Please. Anywhere but Brandon. :unsure::sad:

If they want the most boring WTC final on record, with gate and go racing, then hold it at "the home of no passing".

Even Swindon makes for better racing. Hold it at Blunsdon. Or Peterborough. Or even dare I say it Poole, because whatever the outcome, fans want racing first, and a great final. And I am not in the minority when I say racing at Coventry is absolutely dire. :sad:

Please BSI don't make this fundemental error.

Guest PanthersChamp06

Either at Peterborugh or Reading.

Please. Please. Anywhere but Brandon. :unsure:  :sad:

If they want the most boring WTC final on record, with gate and go racing, then hold it at "the home of no passing".

Even Swindon makes for better racing. Hold it at Blunsdon. Or Peterborough. Or even dare I say it Poole, because whatever the outcome, fans want racing first, and a great final. And I am not in the minority when I say racing at Coventry is absolutely dire. :sad:

You are obviously a poole fan whonly comes to coventry when poole are there, and maybe the reason there isn't any passing is because your riders haven't got the speed to pass at coventry, and happen to turn right going down the straights to block people off.

Try coming to a normal coventry meeting and you will see just as much passing as everywhere else, sometimes more.

At least there is normally some dirt to pass with at brnadon, unlike poole that gets slick as god knows what after only a few heats, unless of course it is a big meeting, when its as rutty as hell!!!!

Edited by paul90210

You are obviously a poole fan whonly comes to coventry when poole are there, and maybe the reason there isn't any passing is because your riders haven't got the speed to pass at coventry, and happen to turn right going down the straights to block people off. 

Try coming to a normal coventry meeting and you will see just as much passing as everywhere else, sometimes more.

At least there is normally some dirt to pass with at brnadon, unlike poole that gets slick as god knows what after only a few heats, unless of course it is a big meeting, when its as rutty as hell!!!!

I have been to Brandon dozens of times. Passing is rare. Why should Coventry V Poole be any different to Coventry V another team? Poole have a good record at Brandon and normally win there once a season. Racing though is dire. All over by the second bend in 13 out of 15 heats. And I also see the televised meetings when Sky are there and it's no different. It's terrible stuff. Even the Coventry management realise the track is bad for passing and are considering doing something about it.

And your knowledge of Poole is poor if you think its a slick track with no dirt. Racing from heat 1 to 15 on a well prepared surface most weeks, with passing inside and out on both bends for home and away riders. Riders can go out wide and cut back up the inside at Poole. That maneouvre is impossible at Brandon because of the shape of the track.

I was not putting forward Poole for the final, even though we made such a fantastic job of it a couple of years ago. One that will be remembered for a very long time for all who attended.

As I said though, anywhere but Brandon please, otherwise it will be a speedway fiasco in terms of racing.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Please. Please. Anywhere but Brandon. :unsure:  :sad:

You are obviously a poole fan who only comes to coventry when poole are there, and maybe the reason there isn't any passing is because your riders haven't got the speed to pass at coventry, and happen to turn right going down the straights to block people off. 

To a certain extent I agree with both of you, Ive been to Coventry 4 times this season alone and countless other times over the years, and while you're right Steve, passing is rare and therefore racing can be boring, you do get the odd pass here and there which can be quite entertaining. But I agree, don't give Coventry the final, I'd vote Peterborough. :D:lol:

Hey Steve, your memory must be failing.

I'm currently working on the Bees 2005 season review DVD (available Dec 10) and one of the best races of the season is when Jonsson stalked and took Kasprzak from the back at Brandon in the ELB match from June.

It's an absolute sweet move, bettered in Heat 13 when AJ did Sullivan the same.

This was in addition to Nicholls passing Sullivan in Heat 11.

Thanks to Papa Bazarou all of these superb passing moves were expertly filmed and are all featured on the 6 hour 3 disc DVD.

As for the World Cup Final, I'm sure Brandon would be happy to hold it providing it generates more cash to the Stadium than a Saturday night greyhound meeting.

Edited by ballinger

Arena Essex would be my choice.

Such a perfect shaped track for a meeting of this magnitude.

It'd be interesting to see the Pole's around Purfleet wouldn't it!

Pete, I never said there is no passing at Brandon, it just doesn't happen very often. A couple of races a meeting seems the norm. Yet you can go to BV or Monmore and get that much passing in the first few heats of a meeting.

The Brandon track shape is all wrong and the promotion know it.

Actually i may not know a lot about poole speedway but i do know what a slick track looks like, having been part of the track staff before and now being a rider.

I do agree that poole did a tremendous job of hosting the final before, but i don't think the stadium is big enough for such an event.

And there are a lot of different lines to overtake on at coventry, just ask the riders where they would like it and i gaurantee a lot of them would say brandon.

But i do think the track could be improved further by adding some more banking to the corners, the problem with that being the dog track on the outside, the track couldn't be built up on the outside so it would have to be lowered on the inside, but then if you stood in certain places you wouldn't be able to see some of the racing.