British Speedway Forum
scabby3

World Cup To Be Staged At Reading

The Poole fixture list shows the race of and final at Poole but can't see anything on the speedway world web site

Jason,

The Poole fixture list shows that the meeting is in GB, not at Poole itself.

Rico :rolleyes:

I am sure I read in the Reading Chronicle a few weeks back (possibly when I went to the Reading FC V. Hull City game), a quote from John Posselwhite along the lines of "We have a million and one things to do before the season starts, not least of which is getting the stadium ready for the World Cup"....

While the article didnt actually say that Reading would be hosting this years World Cup, why bother "getting the stadium ready for the World Cup" if it isnt being staged at Smallmead ?

RacerX, can you confirm or deny my thoughts ? :unsure:

I am sure I read in the Reading Chronicle a few weeks back (possibly when I went to the Reading FC V. Hull City game), a quote from John Posselwhite along the lines of "We have a million and one things to do before the season starts, not least of which is getting the stadium ready for the World Cup"....

And when its ready it will still be a refuse site.

If you look at this site http://www.crash.net/calendar_view~cid~19.htm its got Poland and Sweden for the first two meetings and Cardiff for the playoff and final. Wouldn't that be good :D

The World Cup should be held on a proper Speedway track not a hen run like Reading, no prizes for guesing why its being held there, is there?

The meeting should be held at Sheffield, its a racers track and a good surface well prepared.

The Stadium and Restraunt / bar facilities are second to non, and that includes the likes of Poole or Coventry.

Its a neutral track for most of the top riders who mostly ride in the Elite League, so come on Speedway Authorities, lets get together and stage an important meeting like this at a good race track and also a Stadium with excellent facilities.

Its within easy reach of the M1 Motorway, and its a central Venue for fans from both the North and South of the Country, good car Parks etc.

Why should the fans from the North have to travel down to Poole or Coventry every time a major event is held in this Country?

Yeah,i heard this a few days back.Can't for one minute think there is any truth in it.It's never going to attract enough to make Cardiff affordable.And what if the Brits fail to get through?!?!Exciting as they might be can't see too many punters wanting to shell out 30 quid or so to see Poland win :P Subedei and Honey maybe

can't see too many punters wanting to shell out 30 quid or so to see Poland win  :P  Subedei and Honey maybe

You forgot HenryW and Rico.

Well Cardiff can fit in if you look at the lack of events between the 26th June and 29th August.

Maybe they have got a good deal.

Also any events they have after the GP are concerts so is there any way some part of the track can remain in place?

I am only speculating here but maybe there is a possibility.

Not sure I would be too keen though as its fine for a GP but after the fun at Swindon last year I would want a bit more terraces atmospere. :D

It was confirmed by JP at the Reading forum last night that subject to the back straight stand being removed / opened up then there is a good chance the play off and final will be held at Reading this year.

He believes Reading have a safety certificate for 7000-8000 people.

It was confirmed by JP at the Reading forum last night that subject to the back straight stand being removed / opened up then there is a good chance the play off and final will be held at Reading this year.

He believes Reading have a safety certificate for 7000-8000 people.

Did he say when a decision is likely to be made?

Did he say when a decision is likely to be made?

No as until the back straight is sorted and that has to be done by the landlords Stadia UK it cannot be confirmed. I personally would expect it to be confirmed by the 8th March at the P&P day as the many media will be rathered at the stadium.