British Speedway Forum
norbold

Eastbourne Southern Area League Days

It seems a bit of a cheek asking you to check the 1964 Speedway Stars, PP, as I do have them all myself in the loft! I would appreciate it but only if it's no bother to you.

And could you stop reminding me about New Cross...it's bringing tears to my eyes. My first meeting was on 11 May 1960, New Cross v. Norwich as it happens.... :sad:

Norbold, after searching the garage, dug out the '64 SS's but infuriatingly I am missing copies between March and May29th. The league table published on August 7th shows E'bne having ridden 4 matches, winning 3. It seems, from later editions, that they rode their last match on August 2nd because they could not get a team together and so I think it was just 4 matches in total. I have details of 3, see below, and presumably their first was prior to May 29th. Sorry, looks like a trip to your loft to dig out those earlier issues.

Ipswich (a) 7.6.64 32-40

Des Lukehurst 11 (5 rides), Geoff Pennikett 9(4),Ken Vale 5(4),Dave Still 4(4), C.Benham 2(3),John McAuliffe 1(1), D. O'Flynn 0(3).

Newpool (h) 14.6.64 37-30 Vic Ridgeon 10(4), Lukehurst 9(4), John Dugard 8(4), O'Flynn 5(4), Brian Davies 4(4), R. Prodger 1(2), D. Longhorn 0(2).

Ipsw (h) 28.6.64 41-31 Penniket 12(4), Ridgeon 11(4), Dugard 9(4), Lukehurst 6(4), O'Flynn 2(4), Still 1(3), P. Pittingale 0(1).

Twas indeed, but there was a simular book right upto the 60's

Cant believe Sussex Bulldog was there then, blimey he must have known me for a few years now! :rolleyes:

Yes I was there but I used to get in through the woods and over the fence :D

I was at Junior School just along the road.

Had a long break after 1959 until 1973 or 1974 when I went when not working and returned again in 1988.

Guest speedyguy
Norbold, after searching the garage, dug out the '64 SS's but infuriatingly I am missing copies between March and May29th. The league table published on August 7th shows E'bne having ridden 4 matches, winning 3. It seems, from later editions, that they rode their last match on August 2nd because they could not get a team together and so I think it was just 4 matches in total. I have details of 3, see below, and presumably their first was prior to May 29th. Sorry, looks like a trip to your loft to dig out those earlier issues.

Ipswich (a) 7.6.64 32-40

Des Lukehurst 11 (5 rides), Geoff Pennikett 9(4),Ken Vale 5(4),Dave Still 4(4), C.Benham 2(3),John McAuliffe 1(1), D. O'Flynn 0(3).

Newpool (h) 14.6.64 37-30 Vic Ridgeon 10(4), Lukehurst 9(4), John Dugard 8(4), O'Flynn 5(4), Brian Davies 4(4), R. Prodger 1(2), D. Longhorn 0(2).

Ipsw (h) 28.6.64 41-31 Penniket 12(4), Ridgeon 11(4), Dugard 9(4), Lukehurst 6(4), O'Flynn 2(4), Still 1(3), P. Pittingale 0(1).

But the Metropolitan Sunday League (later the Southern Area League) was between 1954 and 1959 - it missed one season. Eastbourne riders would have included Ray Terry, Steve Bole, Johnnie Fry, Maurice and Noel Conway, Bob Bunney, George Murrell, Frank Bettis, Bob Warner, Dave Freeborn, Johnny Gronow, Alan Brett, Wally and Harry Wilson, Dan English, Johnnie Dugard, with second-half trainees John Lalley, Al Holliday, John Hyam. Pete Rogers. I also think Ivan Mauger rode there in 1956! Sorry just remember them - no scoring records at all. I don't keep programmes or magazines any more.

Guest speedyguy

Ipswich (a) 7.6.64 32-40

But the Metropolitan Sunday League (later the Southern Area League) was between 1954 and 1959 - it missed one season. Eastbourne riders would have included Ray Terry, Steve Bole, Johnnie Fry, Maurice and Noel Conway, Bob Bunney, George Murrell, Frank Bettis, Bob Warner, Dave Freeborn, Johnny Gronow, Alan Brett, Wally and Harry Wilson, Dan English, Johnnie Dugard, with second-half trainees John Lalley, Al Holliday, John Hyam. Pete Rogers. I also think Ivan Mauger rode there in 1956! Sorry just remember them - no scoring records at all. I don't keep programmes or magazines any more.

Thanks speedyguy. I know who rode for them and the results of all the matches. I just don't know who scored what in which match!

The Southern Area League ran from 1954 to 57 and again in 1959 and the Metropolitan League in 1964.

Edited by norbold

Guest speedyguy
Thanks speedyguy. I know who rode for them and the results of all the matches. I just don't know who scored what in which match!

The Southern Area League ran from 1954 to 57 and again in 1959 and the Metropolitan League in 1964.

Accept you ar right about 1964, but I am certain that when the SAL starte in 1954 it was also briefly known - for just a few weeks - as the Metropolitan League. Could be wrong - but it sticks in my mind.

This all looks an intriguing subject. I have many happy memories of going to SAL matches at the weekend - Brafield, Rye House, Ringwood, Aldershot, Eastbourne, California-in-England (near Wokingham).

Used to have the usual rows about riders being too experienced - Frank Bettis, Dan English, Mike Tams (Canada), George McPherson (Australia), were all caught up in these wrangles.

Ipswich (a) 7.6.64 32-40

Thank you for the info, PP. I have just discovered that Eastbourne only rode three League matches in 1964, the one against Newpool was raced for double points, which is why the table shows Eastbourne as having raced four matches. Well, that's the averages for 1964 sorted out. Thank you.

Guest speedyguy
Accept you ar right about 1964, but I am certain that when the SAL starte in 1954 it was also briefly known - for just a few weeks - as the Metropolitan League. Could be wrong - but it sticks in my mind.

This all looks an intriguing subject. I have many happy memories of going to SAL matches at the weekend - Brafield, Rye House, Ringwood, Aldershot, Eastbourne, California-in-England (near Wokingham).

Used to have the usual rows about riders being too experienced - Frank Bettis, Dan English, Mike Tams (Canada), George McPherson (Australia), were all caught up in these wrangles.

Getting back to Eastbourne's SAL days in 1954 and 1955. Ray Terry and Johnnie Fry were two typical colourful East Enders who the Arlington fans loved.

Terry came from Canning Town - was always rather dapper in dress, drove a big cream coloured Buick and was dubbed the 'Duke of Canning Town.'

I think Fry was from Forest Gate - politely a bit of a wide-boy! He painted his bike blue and called himself the 'Cisco Kid.'

A bad injury ended Terry's career and Fry moved on into stock car racing.

They were both one-time West Ham juniors and I think Fry also rode for Oxford around 1950.

I am certain that when the SAL starte in 1954 it was also briefly known - for just a few weeks - as the Metropolitan League.

Yes, you are right. It was briefly known as the Metropolitan League, but changed its name after about 3 or 4 weeks to the Southern Area League.

Anyway, I have now mostly sorted out the 1950s statistics, but I am just left with a few matches I need to know the scorers in. So, if anyone can help...

25 July 1954 Brafield 50 Eastbourne 33.

15 August 1954 Eastbourne 41 Ringwood 37

15 May 1955 Eastbourne 33 Rye House 54

28 August 1955 Rye House 23 Eastbourne 61

4 September 1955 Eastbourne 49 Brafield 33

18 September 1955 Eastbourne 36 Brafield 48

6 August 1957 Rye House 66 Eastbourne 17

If anyone has the Eastbourne riders scores for those matches including number of rides and bonus points, I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you.... :)

Edited by norbold

Guest speedyguy
Getting back to Eastbourne's SAL days in 1954 and 1955. Ray Terry and Johnnie Fry were two typical colourful East Enders who the Arlington fans loved.

Terry came from Canning Town - was always rather dapper in dress, drove a big cream coloured Buick and was dubbed the 'Duke of Canning Town.'

I think Fry was from Forest Gate - politely a bit of a wide-boy! He painted his bike blue and called himself the 'Cisco Kid.'

A bad injury ended Terry's career and Fry moved on into stock car racing.

They were both one-time West Ham juniors and I think Fry also rode for Oxford around 1950.

Another colourful Eastbourne rider around this time was Johnnie O'Connor who was also the track announcer.

Another colourful Eastbourne rider around this time was Johnnie O'Connor who was also the track announcer.

do you have any other excellent little (or big) items/storys like these?

do you have any other excellent little (or big) items/storys like these?

This was all the long time ago - the 1954 Southern Area League had a lot of chracters riding in it. Remember, the 1950s were a much different era to the present time and some of the riders involved in it were what be described nowadays "as on the fringe of acceptable society" - perhaps the old phrase 'wide boy' would cover their off-track antics.

But they were all bound by a love of speedway for all their possible antics and misdemeanours. For me it was a long and wonderful time knowing and travelling around with some of these riders. However, I am glad that I was able to be a part of what went on some 57 years ago.

It seems a bit of a cheek asking you to check the 1964 Speedway Stars, PP, as I do have them all myself in the loft! I would appreciate it but only if it's no bother to you.

And could you stop reminding me about New Cross...it's bringing tears to my eyes. My first meeting was on 11 May 1960, New Cross v. Norwich as it happens.... :sad:

Lovely old track. REAL speedway. My first meeting there was the opening of the season in April 1946. A new sporting world opened for me that night.