British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

Andy Smith Testimonial

It's a 10 year service to Coventry testimonial!  His 25 year benefit meeting will be next season!

Wrong.

He signed for Belle Vue in 1982 and rode in their championship winning team. So his 25th year is this year 2006.

If he is only having one, it's just a 10 years service to Cventry testimonial, andy said so in the Speedway star recently. It was due in 2004 but eh did not have a team (until he signed for Swindon) so did not arrange it, then did not have it last year for some other reason and he said he planned to hold it next year.

If he is only having one, it's just a 10 years service to Cventry testimonial

Like I and others have already corrected you...He ISN'T a Coventry asset!

If he'd had one for 10 years service to Coventry (whom he transferred to in 1992) it would have been in 2001....but he didn't, and he subsequently transferred away from Coventry in 2005 (Even though you didn't know this).

However having signed his first contract as a 16 year old in 1982, he completes 25 years service to the sport in 2006 and gets a much deserved testimonial.

Great to hear Smudger is getting a Testimonial. I remember his first meetings in 1982 and I remember when Dick Barrie was the Centre Green man at Hyde Road, they used to play "Fox on the Run" by The Sweet every time Smithy won a race. Most forum members are probably too young to remember this I assume :D

Not me, though! Great memory, Hawk - Smudger did indeed win plenty of races in those days, mostly from impossible positions so far back you thought he was more likely to trail in last. I thought he was the best 16-year old since Ronnie Moore. We'd been watching him ride in non-competitive training sessions for some time beforehand and knew just how breathtaking he was - there was nothing the lad couldn't do. By the time he reached his 16th birthday and signed a contract, nobody was at all disappointed. Great days. :P

Edited by AndyM

Great to hear Smudger is getting a Testimonial. I remember his first meetings in 1982 and I remember when Dick Barrie was the Centre Green man at Hyde Road, they used to play "Fox on the Run" by The Sweet every time Smithy won a race. Most forum members are probably too young to remember this I assume :D

You assume too much Young Hawk. There is a copy of my birth certificate in the British Museum and Subedei's was carved on tablets of stone. :approve:

I see from your Profile that you, by contrast, are too timid to state your age :)

If he'd had one for 10 years service to Coventry (whom he transferred to in 1992) it would have been in 2001....but he didn't, and he subsequently transferred away from Coventry in 2005 (Even though you didn't know this).

So you are saying SCB is wrong? :o Hope he's not thrown his T-Shirt away.

We shall see, Andy stated in the Speedway Star about 2 month ago, he was going to have a testimonial for 10 years service to Coventry as he had not held it in 2004 as he did not have a team at the start of the year and that there were reasons for not holding it last season.

Most forum members are probably too young to remember this I assume :D

*holds hand up* I first remember Smith riding for Coventry, then Bradford and then Swindon. He was crap at Cradley though, consdiering that he rides Kirky Lane, the old Brandon and Odsal so well Inever understood why he was awful at Cradley. He;'s also dreadful at Monmore.

I thought he was the best 16-year old since Ronnie Moore.

Best 16 year old I saw was Joe Screen, remember him turning up at reserve for the Aces at Dudley Wood and some how conjuring a 45 all draw in late '89 I think. It was about 4 days after his 16th Birthday. Back then Morton & the Morans ruled the Ace's roost and were always pants at Cradley. I believe I have the match on video, I'm gonna have a hunt around the spare room it's bound to be floating around in there. If Smith was half as good at that age he must have looked good.

Anyway back to Smudger, hopefully in September Manchesters awful weather will allow a fairly deep track and some of his old partners in crime - Havelock, Wilson, Thorp will show up along with the current Ace's mob. I'll be there, every time I havent seen him at Dudley Wood or Monmore he's be very entertaining.

Best 16 year old I saw was Joe Screen, remember him turning up at reserve for the Aces at Dudley Wood and some how conjuring a 45 all draw in late '89 I think.  It was about 4 days after his 16th Birthday.

Joe's birthday is in November. Do they have matches in November?????????!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol:

Plus he was born in 1972, so if it was late '89, he was nearly 17!!!

Besides, however good Joe was at 16 I think Smudge was better. But for injuries and his (lack of) gating technique he could easily have followed PC to a world title. Young 'uns may be surprised to hear it, but he really was that good.