British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ezekiel

British GP - An honest opinion

I ended up going to the GP last night, and have to say that I was left a little disappointed. For someone who is so keen on speedway I personally thought that there was a distinct lack of overtaking in a lot of the heats last night, especially during the first 7.

There also did not appear to be as good as an atmosphere as there was last year e.g. no mexican waves, less crowd interaction, but maybe this was due to the racing being served up.

Bearing in mind 2 tickets cost me £80, with a £6 programme on top, I do feel that I was slightly short changed yesterday. Yes it was good to see Nicholls do so well, and for Pedersen to win, but what makes a speedway meeting is overtaking, and lots of it, not processional racing.

For people who happened to be there for the first time what would they have thought? Whoever makes the gate first wins I would imagine.

Good to see Harris come in for the unfortunate Anderson, although in truth he should have been picked as one of the 2 wild cards in the first place, judging by this season's form.

And it was a shame that Hancock missed out on a podium place (again), but hopefully he breaks this habit in the next round.

I'll still go again next year, but I just hope that they find a winning formula for one-off tracks sooner rather than later, before people start deserting the GP series in droves.....

Guest JY2003

I thought it was a good day out and a good meeting but the track staff didnt go out and scrape the track in between races,that rut by the 4th bend was terrible!Scottie missed out on a better place because of that.Ive just watched the Gp and on his interview it looks as though he is going to cry :-(

Great day out for me as I met all the friendly forum members and it was my firsy ever Gp,so its bout to be good :D

Robbo :D

This is my 3rd gp at cardiff and I thought it was the best so far. Track was good, racing was good even if there wasnt a lot of overtaking. Atmosphere was out of this world as it always is. Many a beers were drank and no signs of trouble at all, had a great weekend away. Also had the added bonus of the streaker sitting right in front of me. :D

I have to agree that it was the best Cardiff GP so far, in my opinion.

As for the point of there being no trouble, I dont think the Cardiff Police can quite work out how there are so many people, wearing the colours of so many different nationalities and teams, yet there isnt ever the slightest bit of trouble.

I guess thats just speedway folk for ya!

Track seemed to be a lot better than last year as it seemed to take longer to break up.

Great atmosphere as usual, but unfortunately ruined by a row of so called fans just in front of me, which ended up with 5 missing a large chunk of the meeting as the local consatables were called in!! :x

This is my 3rd gp at cardiff and I thought it was the best so far.  Track was good, racing was good even if there wasnt a lot of overtaking. Atmosphere was out of this world as it always is.  Many a beers were drank and no signs of trouble at all, had a great weekend away. Also had the added bonus of the streaker sitting right in front of me. :D

Quite shocked you think that,...

IMO this year the meeting itself wasnt as good as last year, poor track, poor racing, and quieter music and where was the dogs song?? Didnt see as many ppl dancing, no mexican waves and no heat winning music. :( Oh and did i mention poor ref as well as a boring announcer, fireworks were good though.

Have to agree Dekker on the wow factor--there just didnt seem quite the same buzz that there has been the last couple of years--good but not quite as it was last year...

I have to agree it wasn't the best so far. The track didn't improve on last year no matter what Olsen says. Yes it took longer to break up but there was only one racing line. Lets chamfer the bends next year and have some decent racing! It would also be interesting to see what the official attendance was because I thought it was a lot down on last year. And if JP is true to his word about having entertainment what the hell was that all about with the so called "Blues Brothers" My local pub singers on the kareoke were better than that.

Phew - I'm glad to hear that other people thought this years meeting wasn't quite the same as previous years - I was worried it was just me!!!

The atmosphere was DEFINATLEY lacking something - whether it was the poor use of music, the so-called band, the absence of Mark Loram or all of the above...it just wasn't the same for me this year. The last two years I have found really pumped up the adrenaline but not last night. The track was pretty awful - but to be honest it's not been great for the last two either, but in the previous two meetings the atmosphere helped you to ignore that and enjoy the day!!! :? :cry:

I don't think it was quite as good as last year...

There was hardly any music being played and the atmousphere just wasn't right to me. :?

Last year there was entertainment, like the Samba Ants etc, none this year :roll:.

Still, it was a great meeting.

I thought the track was one-lined and only Rune Holta really managed to show any true speedway skill in overtaking, the rest were as a result of ruts and mistakes. The atmosphere was not the same, probably a collection of things. The roof was open (bad move) Music was poor, Announcer very bland, no trying to excite the crowd, no interaction with the crowd. If anyone was trying to actually fill in progs and needed a prompt heaven help them cos I was going purely on looks, colours of leathers etc. The pre meet band were mediocre (I'm being kind here :P ), no interval entertainment. Over priced food and drink, but I beat them I took my own in :D Programme was a disgrace, overpriced and full of errors.

All in all it was an event staged solely for television, the timing was to fit in with commercial breaks, the riders were interviewed just for TV, why couldn't we have seen and heard some?

I get goosebumps every time I hear the Welsh anthem sung in the Millenium Stadium and it seems to me more people are joining in, pity God save the Queen is such a dirge.

Apart from that it was a ruddy fantastic weekend, I even met the infamous Dekker :) and yes I'll be back but purely for the social aspect and the fact it's an event. I will not return just for the speedway racing cos to all intents and purposed it doesn't exist in Cardiff.

Just a thought for next years pre meeting entertainment. Let's have a Welsh Male Voice Choir. They sing LIVE, they can belt out the national anthems, they appeal to many, satisfy the cultural element, look good on TV and above all save our eardrums from screeching sopranos :evil:

Well, that was my first Grand Prix and I wasn't all that impressed. I honestly have more fun at Panthers home meetings. After reading comment on here about last year, I was really hyped up and looking forward to it but like others have already said, the "wow" factor wasn't there. It's made me think twice about going again.

oh but sarah we had fun at the start didnt we!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go ryan hes our man if he cant do it knowone can........

Personally i thought the racing was better this year, and in my view there was more passing. The gates were more even, although the blue gate did win about 6 on the trot. However the lack of interaction with the crowd, and poor music was a disappointment.

On Ceefax it quotes the attendance as 36,600. That's 6,000 down on last year.