British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KevH

Bradford Track Record

Does anyone have the track record details for Bradford please?

Would like to know the time, the holder and when the record was set.

Many thanks.

Does anyone have the track record details for Bradford please?

Would like to know the time, the holder and when the record was set.

Many thanks.

58.2, Joe Screen, 19.07.97

Anyone think that will ever be broken or will Super Joe be remembered as The Fastest Man Around Odsal.

Chris Morton and Erik Gundersen share the track record from Hyde Road.

Anyone think that will ever be broken or will Super Joe be remembered as The Fastest Man Around Odsal.

Chris Morton and Erik Gundersen share the track record from Hyde Road.

It can't ever be broken, can it? My understanding is that the Rugby club have built on the third and fourth bends at Odsal, so Speedway will never take place there again.

Mind you, that was some going at a big track....I used to love the place, especially the first and second bend terracing!

Which Bradford track record was the person referring to?

The last time Bradford staged speedway in 1997.

The 1970 - 1975 Odsal era when the track was a different length to the 1980's/90s spell?

The Greenfields era of the early 1960's?

The original Odsal of the late 40's/1950's.

I believe that executive boxes were built over the old pits which must of been the best pits area in the world!

Aparently the boxes were built so the oval contours of the stadium were kept intact so the area where the track was situated hasn't been built on. Therefore it would be possible for a speedway track to go back in there but the Bradford Bulls Rugby club who now own the stadium are not keen on the idea.

I haven't been to the stadium since speedways demise there and wouldn't really want to unless the great sport returns to one of its great homes so could anyone confirm what I just said?

OK....my response to Kevin's query was made on the asumption that he wanted to know what the quickest time around Odsal was at the time of it's closure in 1997.

Just for the record, the track record at Greenfield Stadium, (at the time of it's closure), was 70.2, by Tommy Roper on 12.07.62. An entirely different stadium, of course.

You may be right about the track at Odsal still being usable, theoretically - I haven't seen the place since the last meeting on 10.10.97, (The Elite League Riders Championship), but I can't ever see the place realistically being used again.

Odsal stadium featured heavily on yesterdays (Sat April 2nd) edition of grandstand.

As I thought the boxes were only built over the splendid 1985-1997 pits area and not over the old 3rd and 4th bend. In fact you could clearly see where the old track used to be as the area has not been utilised and built on as yet. Only the shale and fence were missing from what would of been the 1997 track set up at Odsal.

I know the possiblity of staging PL racing at Odsal was investigated 2 years ago. Just a shame the council gave/sold? the right to the grand old stadium to the Bradford Bulls Rugby team who don't want the sport back, even though they would make money fom speedway and stock cars returning.

Bradford Northern and Halifax Dukes are 2 old West Yorkshire teams I'd love to see back in the sport though Halifax through the efforts of a supporters club and prospective promotor Mr Hayes seems the only one likely to.

OK....my response to Kevin's query was made on the asumption that he wanted to know what the quickest time around Odsal was at the time of it's closure in 1997.

And you assumed correctly 2ndBender, thanks once again. :approve:

Bradford Bulls Rugby team who don't want the sport back, even though they would make money fom speedway and stock cars returning.

Ironically, I heard yesterday that Bradford Bulls are a team in crisis and should welcome any additional revenue that speedway would bring - are there any prospective promoters out there?

And you assumed correctly 2ndBender, thanks once again. :approve:

Ironically, I heard yesterday that Bradford Bulls are a team in crisis and should welcome any additional revenue that speedway would bring - are there any prospective promoters out there?

Hope you are correct!

Bradford and the splendid Odsal stadium would be welcome aditions to the speedway scene!

Unfortunately the old 1985-97 pits area is now underneath executive boxes so an alternative area would have tro be found. But didn't the 1970-75 Odsal era have a different pits area?

I think the track could be made almost identical to the 1997 version as the area hasn't been developed.

Though that last year in 1997 proved that Bradford would have to be promoted right for the venture to be viable. Bradford won the very 1st EL in 97 with a very strong and expensive side but some of the crowds that year were very poor due to running quite a few Odsal meetings on a Tuesday night. Regular Saturday meetings would be the best bet to get good crowds at Odsal!