British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
davidba

Polish Tracks-public Transport

Hi,

I'm hoping to convince my wife she wants to holiday in Poland this year adn then go to a few league matches.As i will be flying and have no car, i want to go somewhere where you can get to easily on public transport from a cuty centre?

Have heard Wroclaw is easy and the place looks nice, is it?

Any other teams near to a city centre i can fly to from UK?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers

davidba

I feel that the Polish train system is superb, although not the most newest, they are on-time and the cheapest in Europe. Most of stadiums in the 'speedway' cities such as Bydgoszcz, Zielona Gora, Gorzow, Gdansk and etc are in the city centre or in close distance.

Well, if you are looking for the base from which you could get to some speedway places you have few options in Poland. I would suggest Wroclaw, Krakow and Poznan. Beside speedway, Wroclaw and Krakow are really nice places to visit and stay, reach in history, full of places to visit and with great night life :D

In case of Wroclaw, beside local team you have Leszno in e-league and nearby Rawicz, Opole in lower leagues.

In case of Krakow you have e-league teams nearby in Rybnik, Czestochowa, Tarnow and Rzeszow.

Poznan in my opinion is not as interesting to visit as Wroclaw and Krakow, but it has one advantage. From there it is close to e-league Leszno, Bydgoszcz and Torun, 1st league Gorzow, Gniezno and Zielona Gora, and not to forget about new 2nd league team in Poznan in the superbly located stadium right next to city center.

As far as public transportation is concern, trains is the safe bet for you, although I do not share such nice opinion about PKP as Hazzman has :P Late trains are common, mostly the regional ones. Express and Intercity trains are running on schedule most of the time, no problem there.

Hope this helps :)

Poznan in my opinion is not as interesting to visit as Wroclaw and Krakow, but it has one advantage. From there it is close to e-league Leszno, Bydgoszcz and Torun, 1st league Gorzow, Gniezno, Zielona Gora and <b>OSTROW !!!!</b> (Peter Karlsson, Mikael Karlsson. Matej Ferjan, Joe Screen, Morten Risager, Tomasz Jedrzejak, Michal Szczepaniak) !!

As far as public transportation is concern, trains is the safe bet for you, although I do not share such nice opinion about PKP as Hazzman has :P Late trains are common, mostly the regional ones. Express and Intercity trains are running on schedule most of the time, no problem there.

Hope this helps :)

I took an express train on the way back, I do understand people's concerns on trains, there were a number of people on there what I could be easier intimaited by, such as a teenager reading a book about guns.

Speedway in Poland has regions, the North-West with Bydgoszcz, Torun, Pila, Gorzow, Zielona Gora and Poznan. The South-West: Wroclaw, Leszno and small teams. The South-East contains the most teams of Tarnow, Czectochowa, Rzeszow.

The North-West does have Gdansk has a beaufitul place to stay but it is a bit out of the way in comparison to the other teams. The North-West does not have the mass tourism that the South-West (Wroclaw) and the South-East (Krakow) holds. I enjoyed Poland immensely and was very welcomed by the people when I went there. Sitting on a Gdansk bar on its balcony overlooking the river with a wood fire drinking dark lager with taste and talking about Speedway new and old was brilliant.

Any other teams near to a city centre i can fly to from UK?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers

davidba

You can fly to Gdansk with the Polish budget airline Wizzair from Luton and the stadium is within walking distance of the city centre. We did it last Summer and really enjoyed Gdansk - Sopot, the Baltic coast seaside resort is easy to get to by train, and there's plenty to see in Gdansk itself. It was also in the 80's when we were there, which added to the holiday atmosphere. I can recommend Gdansk, but Krakow and Torun are also really nice.

Edited by 2ndBender