British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jules m

How Did You Learn, Questions For Parents

When your offspring decided they wanted to do speedway how did you go about learning about the mechanical side, setting up bikes etc?

Jules

Edited by jules m

A real problem Jules.Unless you come from a family or friends who know about such things,it's pick it up as you go along!

Wasted time in my opinion,as when you go to training tracks etc,you spend more time tinkering with the bikes than riding them.

Don't know why there has never been a manual printed on how to get started,covering all the basics.There's a wealth of knowledge out there & it seems it only gets passed around by word of mouth.

I remember wanting to ride speedway when i was 13,didn't know a thing about bikes & engines,brought up by footballing family,gave up in the end because it seemed a very difficult sport to get into.

Go to the Somerset website & read the diary pages,a real insite into problems faced by family's & their offspring wanting to ride speedway!

When your offspring decided they wanted to do speedway how did you go about learning about the mechanical side, setting up bikes etc?

Jules

I didn't :lol: dropped a few hints to Dad and Uncle and away they went :approve:

I wrote a book detailing the basics last year, am currently sorting it out ready for a publisher. I learnt through being with a mechanic for 3 years and learning from him. It was a really good experience and got to meet a lot of top guys through it. but putting into practice is so much different, but you just have to tinker - but if u dont know ask someone

I wrote a book detailing the basics last year, am currently sorting it out ready for a publisher.  I learnt through being with a mechanic for 3 years and learning from him.  It was a really good experience and got to meet a lot of top guys through it.  but putting into practice is so much different, but you just have to tinker - but if u dont know ask someone

Look forward to reading it when it's published.IMHO it's just what this sport has been crying out for.Well done mate,on taking the initiative.Hope you sell loads. :)

Jules,also have a read of the information on the link below.Although dated,the information is still relevent.It's the only information i am aware of like this that is on the web,& i have seen nothing published.

Good luck.

http://www.speedwaybikes.com/handbook/sh_table.htm

It should be dated Gresham....Stan turns 80 years young this winter and he is still giving out advice at the tracks in Ontrio Canada. Although he has had to slow up and no longer straightens frames etc.

Stan rode in Canada but also as a team mate to Reg Fearman when he rode in England for the likes of Stoke, motherwel , Wolverhamptom, Ashfield etc