British Speedway Forum

i thought the best bit is where tony mallard choked on his own spit then asked kelvin to carry on for him whilst he nearly  choked to death

Made me laugh when he said, "I'm lossing my voice", it raised a cheer in my house!

I've got to say the track was crap, only one real line on the white line.

Really pleased for greg, he's a lovely guy and he did a great move on antonio in the final.

also a mention for scotty, rode his heart out dispite riding with a collorbone injury, better than some other brit!

i respect any rider who gets on a speedway bike but rico is just taking the biscuit at the moment.

i think a year away from the gp's may help him next year.

So, BSI have carried out their promise of presenting GP meetings in top class stadia, in big cities and on well prepared tracks.........?

On the other hand I suppose the riders should be able to ride on all sorts of tracks and surfaces, including flat, unbanked, slick affairs like the one on offer tonight. I guess that's why we have a GP series rather than a one off final these days?

Must say, the totty was top class tonight though. Not just at the tapes either. How much is a return weekend ticket to Latvia?

Forgot to mention that Hancock shouldn't have even been in the final. In his semi it was clear to see that both wheels went over the white line on the second bend. Really suprised more wasn't made of it by Zagar.

Judge has wear dark sunglasses or he need a oculist!

Great for Matej. He is IN! First season! For those who have doubt! Juppiiiii!

Well I may be alone in saying this, but I didn't mind tonights GP.

A win bet of £5 win for Hancock from William Hill at 9-1 might have something to do with that !

£50 notes thankyou kindly !

Well done Greg.

Yes the track was slick, and rutty but the brave and the wily (sp. ?) could exploit the conditions and makes some passes as we saw.

Correct 4 in the final, Zagar also would have been worthy of a place.

AJ most exiting rider as on many occasions, but cannot gate for toffee thankfully, we need his exploits from the back to liven up the racing. Unlucky to be excluded in the final.

Super 360 by Scotty, saved by the skid pan watering before the heat no doubt, a grippier track would have spat him out of the saddle and a trip to Brian Simpson.

RE: THE SURFACE : East European tracks use a grey powdery shale, which when watered prodcues great dirt and racing. Look at Bydgoszcz you get a beautiful build up around the outside as the meeting goes on.

Yesterday was allegedly like a ploughed field following rain. 2 hours of practice scrubs it off, then we have 24 hours of drying conditions. Ole is water averse as we know, so its no wonder it was rock hard.

I say ditch the practice sessions, running the equivelant of 2 full meetings in 24 hours is too much for most tracks. When the conditions differ so much day on day, whats the point - whats gained ?

Yep practice seems a COMPLETE waste of time judging by what most riders say at every GP.

Did Greg dedicate his win to Steve Irwin, is that what he said?

That's what I heard, Steve Irwin..........?

Was Greg a friend of his? Seems strange when speedway has lost two past riders recently, one a compatriot of Greg's, that he should dedicate to Steve Irwin. If Crump had won............

Edited by macca56

Long scary drive from Riga to Daugavpils think i will take the train next time.

It turned out to be quite a good show in a town that possibly had never seen a tourist before never mind several thousand speedway fans.

We walked into one bar near to the stadium and you would have thought we were martians judging by their reactions to us.

Riga is totally the opposite with the locals being very friendly and the female population very easy on the eye.

anyway 2 more days to go before we fly back so back to the partying!!!!

Where is Matej in the standings no need to complain and was it both wheels. :)

Certainly looked like both wheels to me.

But like people have said you can't begrudge Greg his win - he has had his fair share of bad luck in GP finals this year - this was good luck!

Matej needs a top 9 finish to automatically go into next year's GPs and is fairly comfortable now, my guess is that the last two GPs have ensured he would be nominated next year if he doesn't get a top 9 for any reason.

Zagar once again did himself proud and has the look of a potential WC - I think he needs to take the next step up the standings next season, and establish himself both in the EL and GPs - so far his progress has been pretty much text book.

I remember a few seasons agao ther were people claiming Crumpie would never be a Champion!

Antonio Lindback looked very impressive indeed, if Poole axe him, surely someone will try and pick him up?

I can't believe that Lindback would try and stay away from the EL, it wold be a huge error of judgement in my opinion.

Interestingly the EL stay aways - Hampel, Gollob and (to a lesser extent) Jonsson always seem to lack that little extra when it matters. Coincidence? Or is ridng the EL with its vast array of circuits and the need for flexible technique essential for a rider to take the GP?

Edited by Racer X

Zagar once again did himself proud and has the look of a potential WC

He's got a lot going for him has Zagar, along with Lindback and Jonsson imo, I dunno, perhaps it's youthful exuberance, they are certainly all naturals on the track, on the mic and with the crowd, keep it that way I say :approve:

MR Andrey, as a regular to this track, is it always that slick with no dirt?

Great meeting last night! Fab result for Nicki coming 3rd :D ! Was a tough decision for the ref to make in the final for who to exclude between Nicki and AJ! Loved Kasts leathers, very smart!

Track was very slick and rutty! Made exciting racing though!