British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
silver_phoenix

Inexcusable Behaviour...

I have to say that I was appalled by the behaviour of the British fans when they threw glass bottles at the Danish team on their parade lap! It's no wonder we get the reputation for being louts now, is it?

Also, what is a stadium doing letting people have glass bottles to start with. That's just adding fuel to the fire when you give them something to hurl at people. The number of people injured in bar fights after people have had too much to drink, or sportsmen injured by such missiles is enough to show that in this day and age, people should be forced to have their drinks in plastic glasses. It's ridiculous that the stadium allowed the patrons to have bottles. What were they thinking?

I know that at most stadia I've been to, having a glass bottle is out of the question! It's a simple matter of sense and safety. At a football stadium they won't even let you have lids on plastic bottles so you can't fill them with liquid and hurl them.

It was a completely unforgiveable thing that the British fans did and it was an embarrassment to our nation and its place in this sport. Isn't it about time that British fans grew up a little? There was hard riding involved during this years WTC, but there always is. No one was hurt and riders gave as good as they got.

Personally, to see the fans pressed up against the glass during the press conference and hurling abuse at the Danish riders was inexcusable. It was right for Hans to bring up what had happened to them out on the parade lap so the press knew. These kind of people need exposing before they sully our name and place in this great sport. Maybe we should get measures in place to ban such people? The stadium shouldn't be allowed to go unpunished though.

I am ashamed of us as a nation. I know this is the classic case of a few people ruining it for everyone, but what happened is unforgivable.

im in total agreement, i hadn't seen any of these incidents on the tv coverage, but there's no place for behavour like this in speedway

too true , I would hate to see Speedway supporters degenerate to the level of so call football suporters. I always make a point of speaking to any away supporters who attend meetings at Foxhall and Ive never had any problems with any. The louts should be ashamed of themselves.

Yep I also saw the gang of lads pressed up against the press box window banging on the glass and hurling abuse at the Danish riders. It was just totally uncalled for as whatever reputation the Danes have last night they were well and truly the best team on display and deserved their victory. I also thought the air horns going off during the Danish national anthem was also very disrespectful. I was as passionate as anybody supporting Team GB last night but you also have to accept being beaten by a better team which is what the Danes were. Their behaviour was a disgrace and I hope British speedway does something to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Disgraceful indeed - this is the first I've heard of throwing of bottles, but I have already posted elsewhere my disgust at the idiots who attempted to drown out the Danish anthem with air horns. I wonder how they would have felt had the Danish fans behaved in such a way at the start when our anthem was being played?

It's to be hoped that the yobs throwing stuff were captured on camera somewhere. If so they should be named, shamed, and subsequently prosecuted.

I totally agree too,this is terrible behaviour,we dont need or want this sort of thing in Speedway, and there is no need for it.

To have bottles ,i would asume they had been drinking, well if you cant handle your drink and have to resort to tactics like this, THEN STOP DRINKING, it's obvious alcohol doesnt agree with you, we do not want or need the thug eliment(sp) on Speedway terrace's .:mad:

Edited by shirls

Sad, very, very sad. They are simply bad losers. There was one bloke on the first bend who was shouting "F**K OFF, F**K OFF" at Hans Andersen as he was doing a lap of honour after Heat 15 and another booing during the Danish national anthem after the trophy presentation. Sad indeed.

I have to say that I was appalled by the behaviour of the British fans when they threw glass bottles at the Danish team on their parade lap! It's no wonder we get the reputation for being louts now, is it?

I've only heard the result from last night not seen any of the racing yet, this is bad news regarding the bottle throwing although there is no excuse for it why did they do this did something fuel it or is it a case of just bad losers? Hopefully not all British fans will be labeled along with these idiots that have really let us down. :angry:

I'm using my partners log on to reply to this as this is an issue I have been quite upset about since last night...

We were in the room before & during the press conference and saw both the bottle throwing incident (unfortunately though not who threw it) & heard the abuse coming through the windows.

Both of these incidents disgusted me especially what happened during the press conference, we were lining the room and a few of us were leaning against the windows & at 1 point I thought the "fans" outside were going to smash the windows, not only that but there were a number of small children in the room, a few of them the riders families, regardless of what did or didn't happen on the track no-one should be subjected to that level of abuse.

I also think that the small minded few who tried to drown out the Danish national anthem by singing our's over it, blowing airhorns and booing show a complete lack of respect for both the riders and the visiting overseas fans, they need to think back to the beginning of the meeting when our national anthem played, I looked over the crowd and virtually everyone was standing and respecting our national song!

It's upsetting that a brilliant night of speedway will be forever remembered as "oh that's the year someone threw a bottle at the Danes!" rather than for it's spectacular riding and close competition!!!

Hmmmm - now what was it .....Oh yeah 'Support Team GB and show you're proud to be British'.......................................Not as long as people think that 'Supporting Team GB' involves that sort of behaviour thanks! :mad:

Proud to be British? :blink:

Edited by lupus

English louts.....

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour......and the sort that is bound to get the Brit supporters a bad name.

Any decent fan will see that not all British fans are the same as these louts :approve:

We left before the playing of the Danish national anthem and didn't see the bottle throwing incident but that sort of behaviour is totally uncalled for. One of the great things about speedway is the good sporting relationship between different sets of fans, from different clubs and countries. The last thing we want to happen is for speedway to go the same way as football... :angry:

We were in the room before & during the press conference and saw both the bottle throwing incident (unfortunately though not who threw it) & heard the abuse coming through the windows.

Both of these incidents disgusted me especially what happened during the press conference, we were lining the room and a few of us were leaning against the windows & at 1 point I thought the "fans" outside were going to smash the windows, not only that but there were a number of small children in the room, a few of them the riders families, regardless of what did or didn't happen on the track no-one should be subjected to that level of abuse.

I agree! I was there at the press conference and I was disgusted by the fans. I thought NP had every right to tell them to shut up when they were hollering abuse. It was terrible to have to sit there and witness that when in reality we should have been celebrating a wonderful night of closely fought speedway. The British lout isn't the kind of reputation we want to get in speedway. It's bad enough in football.

Ever since the press conference I've been really riled by this and have been ranting about it around the house all morning. It's a shame that we have to suffer fools in such a great sport. Speedway really is a family sport and one where most of the time rival fans get on. As a sport it's one of the few where it's nice to be a fan and you can talk to almost anyone. It should remain a friendly sport and a family sport. It makes this kind of behaviour even more unacceptable because of the number of children who attend these meetings.