British Speedway Forum
Gunners

Ellesmere Port Gunners

Had a look on the Ellesmere Port speedway website last night after reading your mssage.

Its very basic and they haven't update it for a while but its good to see it around!

They state they are ongoing in a search/effort to reopen speedway in the area. How genuine they are regarding this I don't know but its helkp to know their interest of some level to do this.

Theirs an E mail address on the site as well to contact them.

Yes its a massive shame Ellesmere Port aren't running when the old home for speedway Thornton Road still remains and is underused.

The reasons the Council turned down Tony Moles application in 2001 was cause of parking issues for big crowds and the usual noise issus!

- While I think EP speedway could of attracted viable crowds in modern times of 500-1000, these levels wouldn't of been near levels that watched at Thornton Rd in the 1970's, so in fact the claims were a complete cop out.

Locals were all in favour as the popular public meetings at the time suggested.

While the stadium is still there and no plans to demolish are known then in the future it could be worth another try if the Council could be persuaded?

l I believe that when Tony Mole tried to get s/ay back in about 2001 it was said at the time that there was no proper planning permission for the sport.This was eventually proved wrong but in the meantime Mr Mole lost patience and looked else where sadly but the Brummies prove that miracles do happen.The secret is to get the council on board from day one and the local coucillors aswell,as you say parking and noise can be sorted.Maybe a 3yr initial period to test the water may presuade the local authority to give it a go again!!!!!!!!! :)

Take your point jacko but the method is normaly divide and rule not all councillors are or were in favour of the dogs.There nothing to say that with the right presentation and with new methods of reducing noise that some maybe presuaded but your right it is an up hill battle :(

Take your point jacko but the method is normaly divide and rule not all councillors are or were in favour of the dogs.There nothing to say that with the right presentation and with new methods of reducing noise that some maybe presuaded but your right it is an up hill battle  :(

Hmmm thought the name might ring a bell with you? Cough*Pitsmarshall*Cough

My memories of the Gunners:

Getting Beat by Mildenhall and Glasgow. (it was so rare)

Mike Ferreri heading stright towards me in mid air exiting the 4th Turn

The Banner Gang

Talking to Joe Shaw about a rumour that Steve Finch was about to be transferred.

Neil Collins giving Pete Ellams the finger after Ellams had forced his way by.

A 4TT involving Belle Vue, Cradley Heath and another side sponsered by Hustler Power boats. (Biggest crowd I can remember)

Paul Tyrers debut.

That mid track banking on the third turn that JJ used to go around the opposition

National League Pairs at Halifax. JJ beaten from the back by Nigel Boocock. The one and only time I saw him overtaken. Took a lot of stick off thr Halifax fans after being a bit vocal before.

Getting a 5-1 against Tom Owen when Newcastle looked as though they were about to beat us.

Watching a second half race where a rider had come up from Kings Lynn to practise. He looped the bike at the start and landed on the start line. Then went off to hospital I thought he was a tad unlucky.

JJ and Tom Owen in the Silver Helmet Match Races.

Any idea what JJ is doing now? Last I heard he was a panel beater but that was a long time ago and probably wrong.

Hmmm thought the name might ring a bell with you? Cough*Pitsmarshall*Cough

My memories of the Gunners:

Getting Beat by Mildenhall and Glasgow. (it was so rare)

Mike Ferreri heading stright towards me in mid air exiting the 4th Turn

The Banner Gang

Talking to Joe Shaw about a rumour that Steve Finch was about to be transferred.

Neil Collins giving Pete Ellams the finger after Ellams had forced his way by.

A 4TT involving Belle Vue, Cradley Heath and another side sponsered by Hustler Power boats. (Biggest crowd  I can remember)

Paul Tyrers debut.

That mid track banking on the third turn that JJ used to go around the opposition

National League Pairs at Halifax. JJ beaten from the back by Nigel Boocock. The one and only time I saw him overtaken. Took a lot of stick off thr Halifax fans after being a bit vocal before.

Getting a 5-1 against Tom Owen when Newcastle looked as though they were about to beat us.

Watching a second half race where a rider had come up from Kings Lynn to practise. He looped the bike at the start and landed on the start line. Then went off to hospital I thought he was a tad unlucky.

JJ and Tom Owen in the Silver Helmet Match Races.

Any idea what JJ is doing now? Last I heard he was a panel beater but that was a long time ago and probably wrong.

JJ after he retired work at Ben Whitehouse's just out side Chester he has since set

up his own panebeating business in Willington near Kelsal .I don't know whether you know but his nephew Gary( son of his late brother Fred ) has just won the British Speedway sidecar championship.So there is still a Jackson winning races on shale and Gary is one of the nicest people you could wish to meet!!!!!! :D

Writing these off the top of my head, so please be lenient on factuality of content:

- Glenn Parrott & Steve Finch - The Birdmen of Ellesmere Port

- Phil Alderman's broken jaw in '85 from a handlebar that went up inside his helmet while grasstracking (Germany?)

- Eric Monaghan breaking a couple of toes along the back straight fence (did he ride without a boot in subsequent weeks?)

- Narrowly beating Newcastle at home and being battered away in K O Cup in '82 (remembering the Diamonds team of the early eighties, it could have been any season and League or Cup)

- Beating Hackney 50-28 at home and then taking a 5-1 in the first heat away (Dave Morton & Miles Evans) at Waterden Road (1985 K O Cup Semi). Good job really as we lost 49-29 for a narrow aggregate win. These meetings followed on: Thursday at home & Friday away. I'm sure that the Hackeny management implied that Louis Carr's engine was oversized and invoked some rule that it could be impounded for a period of time awaiting measurement, in order to deprive him of it the next night. It was actually measured there and then (somehow) and found to be 493.8 cc

I'm sure there are big holes in the last anecdote, so let me know. In the meantime, I'll try and come up with some more.

Pete Jarman hitting the tractor after the race in the mid70's when the trackman did not see remount to finish the race.Pete had no serious injuries but his Jap powered bike looked worse for wear!!! Another thing that sticks in my mind was the promoter Jim Sefton ( early70's) liked to introduce the riders himself and always made a pig's breakfast of it.He was that informed that he once said is this brake working properly pulling the clutch lever in and out. Sadly lost his nephew in an accident while practicing on a s/way bike at a local beach when he hit a piece of drift wood. This was a huge loss to the man and led to him selling the promotion

to Ernie Parkes one of the nicest people I ever met in s/way .Only for his premature death we may still of had s/way at E/Port even today as he was both true fan and a very wealthy man !!!!

Had a look on the Ellesmere Port speedway website last night after reading your mssage.

Its very basic and they haven't update it for a while but its good to see it around!

They state they are ongoing in a search/effort to reopen speedway in the area. How genuine they are regarding this I don't know but its helkp to know their interest of some level to do this.

Theirs an E mail address on the site as well to contact them.

Yes its a massive shame Ellesmere Port aren't running when the old home for speedway Thornton Road still remains and is underused.

The reasons the Council turned down Tony Moles application in 2001 was cause of parking issues for big crowds and the usual noise issus!

- While I think EP speedway could of attracted viable crowds in modern times of 500-1000, these levels wouldn't of been near levels that watched at Thornton Rd in the 1970's, so in fact the claims were a complete cop out.

Locals were all in favour as the popular public meetings at the time suggested.

While the stadium is still there and no plans to demolish are known then in the future it could be worth another try if the Council could be persuaded?

Not so certain it would be viable at PL level but must stand a chance at CL.

Reading my old speedy stars and yearbooks, the Gunners mainly stayed afloat by selling riders produced at training schools - the Collins (Phil & Neil) & Carr brothers spring to mind. Gates were never that good and I know that's one reason why they closed down in 85.

Edited by Onceadon

Not so certain it would be viable at PL level but must stand a chance at CL.

Reading my old speedy stars and yearbooks, the Gunners mainly stayed afloat by selling riders produced at training schools - the Collins  (Phil & Neil) & Carr brothers spring to mind. Gates were never that good and I know that's one reason why they closed down in 85.

Another nail in coffin was the career ending crash of Joey Owen ripped the guts out of the team and fans alike and I think your right CL at least to start.Even if planning was given it would for 2yrs at first before it was granted permanently.This seems the way councils deal with new or reopened tracks today but IMO there is a fan base in the Port.

Yes I have plently of memories of the Gunners, I went regularly from mid season 1978 to its closure in 1982 and also in 1985. I did go on and off before this. But my memories are : Jacko (unbeatable at Thornton Road), Finchy (the team man), Louis Carr (My Favourite Gunner) Bad Gater, but probably the fastest Gunner at Thornton Road when his machinery worked properly, Eric Monaghan (100 % trier), Billy Burton (Mr Unreliable (for points scoring)), Joe Owen (National League Kingpin - everybody wanted to beat him), Dave Morton (Will he won't he break the tapes ?) David Walsh (Gutsy rider) and Gary O'Hare (Mr Ellesmere if you cut him open).

Team memories : Phil Collins's last bend effort to beat a Peterborough rider to preserve our 100% home record in 1978. Winning the NL fours finals at Peterborough after scraping thru the semi Finals then fighting off a swarm of greenflies and battling thru a thunderstorm to get back on to the coach. Getting thrashed at Newcastle in 1982 KO Final. Attending 5 Ellesmere fixtures in 5 days in 1985, riding at E.Port on Friday, Stoke on Saturday, Eastbourne on Sunday, Exeter on Monday and finally Poole on Tuesday ! Bob Dugard telling the speedway press that even the visiting fans disgreed with the ref's decision. Strange as their was only 3 Gunners fans at Eastbourne that day including my myself and my friend - nobody asked me !

Wonderful memories ! I hope that the Gunners will return one day - probably at a new venue. Is there any promoters listening out there please !!!!!!!!

Edited by steve19620

The track is still in tact and IMO would take a little time and some money (pits fence udate etc) and a charm offensive on the locals for the sport to return. :( .

Being totally serious the place could be got ready with the right imput as the basic setup is there.

Yes, the track is intact but is now used only by the greyhounds. Problem is the track is situated in a residential area so it's unlikely the "locals" could be charmed -particularly with environmental issues. Problem is the council listened to the residents and not the fans when Tony Mole's application was rejected in 2002. If Ellesmere Port is to ride again it would probably be at a new track. Based on the interest generated at Tony Mole's meeting with the locals and "dormant" fans in 2002 speedway in this area would be a success without affecting Belle Vue or Stoke's crowds.

Here's hoping for the future !

Guest Donsking
Yes, the track is intact but is now used only by the greyhounds. Problem is the track is situated in a residential area so it's unlikely the "locals" could be charmed -particularly with environmental issues. Problem is the council listened to the residents and not the fans when Tony Mole's application was rejected in 2002. If Ellesmere Port is to ride again it would probably be at a new track. Based on the interest generated at Tony Mole's meeting with the locals and "dormant" fans in 2002 speedway in this area would be a success without affecting Belle Vue or Stoke's crowds.

Here's hoping for the future !

Never been there so don't know the intimate details, but going by the pics posted earlier it looks like this track has always been in a residential area and no-one has yet said that it closed because of resident complaints.

Is it that big a problem?