British Speedway Forum
Gunners

Ellesmere Port Gunners

Unfortunately, I live in Ellesmere Port for my sins and pass the Stadium everyday going to work !

Maybe a new application may be more successful, the main problem will be the noise issue with the residents, Tony Mole was prepared to move the start line to the opposite side alway from the houses, install sound baffle barriers and also prepared to run to a strict curfew to apprease the locals - but still failed. Having visited the Weymouth track last year - look at the problems they had with the local council with the noise. Yet the nearest house was over half a mile away ! Never know stranger things may happen if someone tried again.

I to pass the track every day and think that there are no greater problems than at

P/BARR. It did not close because of local res but other reasons not least the end of Joey Owens career sadly.We just need Mr Mole to work his magic and we might get it but I can but dream :(

I know that the track closed on the eve of the 1986 season mainly due to poor crowds and problems assembling a team on top of Joe's injury. Nowadays the main hurdle reintroducing Speedway at Thornton Road would be the noise and car parking on local streets according to local residents ! It could be that the council's stance on relaunching speedway may have softened after 5 years and a application now would be a better bet. Just wish I could win the lottery and do it myself ! Let's hope Tony Mole reads this forum and considers doing a "Birmingham" or anybody else for that matter.

Edited by steve19620

I have just been told that the GM car factory there, has lots of land which it uses for track days etc. Could this not be used for speedway too? They have just won the new generation Astra from 2010 so its future is secured for a few years yet.

<edit> spelling

Edited by Deano

Yes there is plently of land around the Vauxhall Factory and not many nearby houses too !

Depending on who owns the land this could be a possibility.

Any wantabe promotors around ?

I have just been told that the GM car factory there, has lots of land which it uses for track days etc. Could this not be used for speedway too? They have just won the new generation Astra from 2010 so its future is secured for a few years yet.

<edit> spelling

Just need someone like Mr Mole to get on to it and I am sure Noise and traffic would not be a problem ,just the council ,highways ,residents ( within 5 miles) who can't see or hear any thing and any other busy body who hate m/sport.It seems easier to knit fog than get anew track these days look how long it took B/ham. :cry:

I am hearing this second hand but they used to let the land out for track days anyway, for people to belt around in sports/rally cars, so I wouldn't have thought noise would be a problem. The land is own by GM Manufacturing Europe and may welcome some additional income. Big companies are into this working with the community type stuff, how better way of looking after your community by supplying land for them to use for speedway. Just a thought. :D Someone local write a letter and find out?

I am hearing this second hand but they used to let the land out for track days anyway, for people to belt around in sports/rally cars, so I wouldn't have thought noise would be a problem. The land is own by GM Manufacturing Europe and may welcome some additional income. Big companies are into this working with the community type stuff, how better way of looking after your community by supplying land for them to use for speedway. Just a thought.  :D  Someone local write a letter and find out?

All seems sad when a perfectly good track is going to waste ,with stands and the makings of a good track.Starting from cold would be expensive and may well put a prospective promoter off look at what has been done at Redcar and it will be years till it is finished.At BRUM they just ( iknow there is lot involved) had to create the track and improve what was there.If they could just get a couple of meetings( informal races) at the old track say CL racing even if it was in the form of a training school to see how if affected the locals etc.Then at least there would be something for everyone to draw from rather than people guessing about noise,parking pollution . You may even find that the younger people of the area would take to the sport as alot say there is little to do for their age group.