British Speedway Forum
crazysue

British U15's Championship - Isle Of Wight 17/8

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the updates site? If so, could you please either leave a message here or send me an email or pm.

Thanks

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the updates site? If so, could you please either leave a message here or send me an email or pm.

Thanks

I am filming tonight for Uncle Ken Burnett of Tape to Tape as he is not well at the moment. I film every week at the Island to show un-edited footage up the clubhouse post meeting anyway so it is covered in that respect. Ken will edit & be available from him as normal. (as long as I take the lens cap off :D )

If we finish at the normal time I will probably put it on post meeting as normal. Will any of the riders be around at that time or is it past their bedtime :o

Updates on this meeting will be available Here

Thread not set up yet but it should appear in the Under 15's section of the site, if not, it will be in the IoW section.

Taken from the Live Updates site...

1st Joe Haines

2nd Ben Hopwood

3rd Adam Wrathall

4th Kye Norton

Texter: BobC

Updater: Friendly Woody

Lineup

1. Ben Hopwood 3, 3, 3, 2 = 11

2. Joe Haines 3, 2, 3, 3 = 11

3. George Piper 1, 3, 3, 1 = 8

4. Scott Meakins 1, 2, 0, 0 = 3

5. Adam Wrathall 2, 2, 2, 3 = 9

6. Kye Norton 3, 1, 2, 0 = 6

7. Rich Franklin 2, 3, 1, 2 = 8

8. Sean Paterson 0 **WITHDRAWN**

9. Dan Greenwood 1, 0, 1, 2 = 4

10. Jack Butler 0, 0, 0, 0 = 0

11. James Sarjeant 0, 1, 2, 3 = 6

12. Brendan Johnson **WITHDRAWN**

12. Ben Reade 2, 1, 1, 1 = 5

Reserves:

13. Ben Reade 3

14. Tom Davies 2, 0, 0, 1 = 3

15. Amy Carpenter 0

16. Chris Bint 0

Lineup confirmed

Heat results

Reserve Race 1: 81.6 - Reade, Davies, Bint fell, Carpenter f.ex

Heat 01: No time - Hopwood, Reade, Greenwood, Paterson ex

Heat 02: 53.3 - Haines, Franklin, Meakins, Butler

Heat 03: 58.1 - Norton, Wrathall, Piper, Sarjeant

Heat 04: Time? - Hopwood, Haines, Sarjeant, Davies

Heat 05: 60.8 - Franklin, Meakins, Reade, Butler

Heat 06: 58.1 - Piper, Wrathall, Norton, Greenwood

Heat 07: 54.2 - Hopwood, Norton, Franklin, Butler

Heat 08: 58.3 - Piper, Sarjeant, Greenwood, Davies

Heat 09: 54.2 - Haines, Wrathall, Reade, Meakins

Heat 10: 58.2 - Sarjeant, Greenwood, Reade, Butler

Heat 11: 56.9 - Wrathall, Franklin, Davies, Norton

Heat 12: 54.0 - Haines, Hopwood, Piper, Meakins

Quarter Final: 58.6 - Norton, Reade, Greenwood, Sarjeant

Semi Final: 55.7 - Wrathall, Norton, Piper, Franklin

Grand Final: 71.6 - Haines, Hopwood, Wrathall, Norton fell

Weather: Lovely sunny evening (wish it was where I'm updating from!!). Referee is Mick Posstlewhite.

Comments:

Brendan Johnson has withdrawn from the meeting. His hand has not fully recovered. The winner of the first reserve race will now ride in the meeting.

Ht1 - Paterson (in 2nd) fell on the 4th bend, his bike hit Reade in 3rd full in the face as they crossed the start line. Greenwood laid it down excellently to avoid carnage. Awarded.

ALL RACES TO BE RUN OVER 3 LAPS

Paterson withdrawn from the meeting. Injury sustained in heat 1 crash.

Ht4 - Davies in as a reserve replacement.

Ht8 - Davies in as a reserve replacement.

Ht11 - Davies in as a reserve replacement.

Grand Final: Run over 4 laps.

Congratulations to Joe Haines, and a big thank you to BobC for the texts. That's all from me, goodnight!

Hope you are OK Sean, Take care.

Went to this meeting and was very impressed. The two top riders Ben Hopwood and Joe Haines were really good. Also very mpressed with 12 year old James Sarjeant - he looks so good on the bike and unfortunately had engine failure on the line in the quarter final. I have to take my hat off to all these young lads who put on a really good show last night. Hope that Sean, Chris and Amy are all ok after their nasty looking crashes. :o

Guest Christophers Dad

Hope that Sean, Chris and Amy are all ok after their nasty looking crashes.

Thank you for your concern,i have spoken to John Amys Dad this morning and she is ok :D

All Amy was concerned with as John spoke to her as she was on the track,was how Chris was what a lovely attitude from a nice young lady

I hope Sean is also ok,but with regard to Chris i was very disapointed with his attitude after his accident last night :mad:

Whilst i understand that Scunthorpe came flooding back as he hit the track,he could have been back in the rerun

Just lately his whole attitude stinks and he has this weekend to get his thinking head on,blubbing in the pits is not what i want to see.

This is not another "Pushy Dad" but im not prepared to tolerate attitude from a 12yr old i do bloody near everything for,there is no room for Hollywood in my house (bungalow) :D

Please do not answer this post unless you have anything constructive to say :mad:

All the Best (Apart from you Chris)

Pat Bint

Edited by Christophers Dad

Pat the only thing i can say with certainty is that at twelve Chris has got bigger b@lls than me already cos i wouldnt get on a 50cc with no brakes let alone a 500 :o .

I know what we spoke about earlier but after such a long day and so many unneccesary miles see how you feel after the weekend.

All the best(and you Chris)

Dave Johnson :)

Thank you for your concern,i have spoken to John Amys Dad this morning and she is ok :D

All Amy was concerned with as John spoke to her as she was on the track,was how Chris was what a lovely attitude from a nice young lady

I hope Sean is also ok,but with regard to Chris i was very disapointed with his attitude after his accident last night :mad:

Whilst i understand that Scunthorpe came flooding back as he hit the track,he could have been back in the rerun

Just lately his whole attitude stinks and he has this weekend to get his thinking head on,blubbing in the pits is not what i want to see.

This is not another "Pushy Dad" but im not prepared to tolerate attitude from a 12yr old i do bloody near everything for,there is no room for Hollywood in my house (bungalow) :D

Please do not answer this post unless you have anything constructive to say :mad:

Pat Bint

Aprreciate what you are saying, but try not to be hard on the lad, 12 is a funny age, when they are approaching the teens and they do think that they know it all.

I know how you feel though I am the same with my lad, but sometimes a arm around the shoulder and gently point out the error of there ways helps.

Good Luck I am sure Chris comebacka stronger rider. Also well done James Sergeant.

Pat Bint

oh so i am not not allowed to say what i think of you because it wont be constructive, well sod that, for gods sake the lad is 12 and in my opinion very brave for what he does and my opinion of you is that your just a piece of s..t

Edited by goatman

Pat Bint

I have to sympathise with your posting.

If I can share my experience over the last 12 months as a Father / Coach ( I will state that the sport is know where near as dangerous as speedway )

I have two sons aged 12 and 7 who are both talented ( bags of potential for the age ) at their respective sports ( which are a million miles away from speedway ) who at times frustrate the hell out of me. ( like yourself I don’t class myself as a pushy dad ).

My eldest plays a physical game to which he was playing at the highest standard with coaches from the county looking at him. Unfortunately he broke a collar bone when training ( a freak accident ) which put him out for 4 months. When he returned, for the first month he still looked the part but I could tell something wasn’t right. I would ask but the only answer I could get was ‘everything’s cool Dad’. Then all of a sudden after a couple of weeks, when he played there was a lot of emotional outbursts ( tears sometimes and anger the next ) which is totally out of character for him. I would try at the time to talk to him but it would only make things worse and I would end up in the same situation I think you found yourself in. A friend of mind who is a sports psychologist ( his son trains with mine luckily, or his advice may have cost me a few quid ) observed what was happening and approached me with some help / ideas to over come the problems.

He didn’t list them but for ease i will.

1) If he cries or blows his top, let him – you can not control frustration, fear or anger only he can. ( as long as he is not directing it at anybody else, then you may need to step in )

2) As you are his dad he knows you set the rules / boundaries at home. Kids at times struggle when parents are their coaches as sometimes they see you as setting rules on their performance on their patch ( the other kids parents just watch and someone else coaches so the differentiate between parent and coach ).

3) It was suggested to me that at the next outburst just to let it happen and let him finish it. I did.

4) A few days later go out to a neutral environment. In our case that is the KFC.

5) For one hour i had to listen to what he didn’t like to do with everything in his world. ( bedtimes to early, little bro is a pain, the usual stuff you would expect ) after 10 minutes he was done. I then suggested what miffed him about his sport ( he had not mentioned this in his 10 minutes ). Nothing really he replied, so we just spoke around his injury and his performances and how they and he had changed. The next 30 minutes was eye opening. Once he started to open up he told me how he felt scared of breaking the collarbone again. This frustrated him as he knew the chances were the same as before. If the negative thoughts got his head the anger was / is effecting his performance and he knows it ( his anger is with himself and it just compounds in his head ) or at other times this would manifest as tears and he explained he could not control it as he thought he was disappointing everyone.

6) From that moment on we put together some actions to do if

i) He felt he needed to cry - he takes himself of away from the group ( 30 yards not to far ) with a drink and composes himself ( usually 5 to 10 mins ).

ii) When his anger blows – we both go away from the group with a drink and i take him through some breathing exercises ( these were given to me by my friend ) again in 5 mins we are done.

We have been doing this for 4 months now and the results have been fantastic. He is back to were he was and the outbursts are nearly none existent.

We still do KFC every two weeks ( the chicken can get a bit boring ) and his list of things he does not like is still the same ( bedtime to early etc ) but he does use that time to tell me what he wants to try and things I could do better in training ( he does like that bit ).

He also has told me during these chats that he finds emotionally he can be all over the show somedays but that’s what its like when you are 12 and the next 7 years following that if my memory serves me well.

Im sorry this posting is so long, if it doesn’t help then, well know harm done.

For my 7 year old well I will leave that for another day ( think Homer and Bart ).

Good Luck and I hope he is racing again soon. Any 12 year old who rides a speedway bike has my respect.

Great day out.Very enjoyable.

Isle Of Wight Speedway should be thoroughly congratulated on terrific nights entertainment.A perfectly prepared track,with 16 hts of the U15's,(includes the reserve race),5 250cc races,and 6 quad bike races,you certainly got your moneys worth!

Things were going along at such a pace,I could hardly keep up with the texting,let alone giving race incidents!Indeed,while I completed my programme,Brendan Johnson,who had to withdraw,was actually doing the texts for me!Thanks for your help,mate.

Time for ht4 was 55.0 secs.

In the Quarter and semi finals,the riders rode as per helmet colour/gate sequence.

In the Final,the riders could choose their gates.Red,Haines,gate2,Blue,Hopwood,gate3,White,Wrathall,gate1,Yellow,Norton,gat

e4

Before the main event,there was a 250cc race.As Brendan was taking to the track for the first time since breaking his arm,special arrangements were made to allow him to test the arm in this race.However,as soon as he reached the 1st turn,(riding his normal 500 cc)he knew things were not right,and immediately pulled up.Came back to the pits and withdrew.

This made the 1st reserves race very important,as the winner would ride at No.12.In the first start,Amy Carpenter looped and her bike took out Chris Bint.VERY pleased to see both walk away,eventually.In the reun,Ben Reade duly took the honours in the match race with Tom Davies.There were 3 races scheduled,but due to injuries,only one was actually raced.

Results from the 250cc races.

Ht1.Shane Hazelden,Adam Portwood,Rhys Naylor.Brendan Johnson,(ret inj)4 laps,no time

Ht2.Hazelden,Portwood,Naylor.65.0(3 laps)

Ht3.Hazelden,Portwood,Naylor.63.5(3 laps)

Ht4 Hazelden,Portwood,Naylor.62.8(3 laps)

Ht5.Hazelden,Portwood,Naylor.62.0(3 laps)

Peter Oakes and his team worked wonders to keep things moving.Dave Pavitt,# Name Removed # and Bryn all made sure things went as smoothly as possible.Good to have the presentations up in the bar afterwards.

Congratulations to Joe Haines,a very impressive performance.

Sorry,I didnt get any of the quads race results,but they were very good to watch.

Edited by BobC

Pat Bint

I have to sympathise with your posting.

If I can share my experience over the last 12 months as a Father / Coach ( I will state that the sport is know where near as dangerous as speedway )

I have two sons aged 12 and 7 who are both talented ( bags of potential for the age ) at their respective sports ( which are a million miles away from speedway ) who at times frustrate the hell out of me. ( like yourself I don’t class myself as a pushy dad ).

My eldest plays a physical game to which he was playing at the highest standard with coaches from the county looking at him. Unfortunately he broke a collar bone when training ( a freak accident ) which put him out for 4 months. When he returned, for the first month he still looked the part but I could tell something wasn’t right. I would ask but the only answer I could get was ‘everything’s cool Dad’. Then all of a sudden after a couple of weeks, when he played there was a lot of emotional outbursts ( tears sometimes and anger the next ) which is totally out of character for him. I would try at the time to talk to him but it would only make things worse and I would end up in the same situation I think you found yourself in. A friend of mind who is a sports psychologist ( his son trains with mine luckily, or his advice may have cost me a few quid ) observed what was happening and approached me with some help / ideas to over come the problems.

He didn’t list them but for ease i will.

1) If he cries or blows his top, let him – you can not control frustration, fear or anger only he can. ( as long as he is not directing it at anybody else, then you may need to step in )

2) As you are his dad he knows you set the rules / boundaries at home. Kids at times struggle when parents are their coaches as sometimes they see you as setting rules on their performance on their patch ( the other kids parents just watch and someone else coaches so the differentiate between parent and coach ).

3) It was suggested to me that at the next outburst just to let it happen and let him finish it. I did.

4) A few days later go out to a neutral environment. In our case that is the KFC.

5) For one hour i had to listen to what he didn’t like to do with everything in his world. ( bedtimes to early, little bro is a pain, the usual stuff you would expect ) after 10 minutes he was done. I then suggested what miffed him about his sport ( he had not mentioned this in his 10 minutes ). Nothing really he replied, so we just spoke around his injury and his performances and how they and he had changed. The next 30 minutes was eye opening. Once he started to open up he told me how he felt scared of breaking the collarbone again. This frustrated him as he knew the chances were the same as before. If the negative thoughts got his head the anger was / is effecting his performance and he knows it ( his anger is with himself and it just compounds in his head ) or at other times this would manifest as tears and he explained he could not control it as he thought he was disappointing everyone.

6) From that moment on we put together some actions to do if

i) He felt he needed to cry - he takes himself of away from the group ( 30 yards not to far ) with a drink and composes himself ( usually 5 to 10 mins ).

ii) When his anger blows – we both go away from the group with a drink and i take him through some breathing exercises ( these were given to me by my friend ) again in 5 mins we are done.

We have been doing this for 4 months now and the results have been fantastic. He is back to were he was and the outbursts are nearly none existent.

We still do KFC every two weeks ( the chicken can get a bit boring ) and his list of things he does not like is still the same ( bedtime to early etc ) but he does use that time to tell me what he wants to try and things I could do better in training ( he does like that bit ).

He also has told me during these chats that he finds emotionally he can be all over the show somedays but that’s what its like when you are 12 and the next 7 years following that if my memory serves me well.

Im sorry this posting is so long, if it doesn’t help then, well know harm done.

For my 7 year old well I will leave that for another day ( think Homer and Bart ).

Good Luck and I hope he is racing again soon. Any 12 year old who rides a speedway bike has my respect.

Absolute excellent post, and for anybody who has a son or daughter in any sport, some very useful tips to follow.

after watching the under 15s going around the large track at smallbrooke i have to say i was impressed with there courage on what is a very daunting track and could well understand why all races bar the final was reduced to 3 laps, there were times last night when ithought that it was slightly unfair that 12 year olds were racing against 15 year olds, also i felt that 500cc bikes were too big for some and i think the australian idea is the corect one that no one under 16 is allowed on a 500cc bike. some very good racing and i believe the future of british speedway could be very good if this crop of riders is looked after and encouraged, sadly as they go through there teens some will have other ideas about what they want to do and should be allowed to follow there own paths of destiny, we should also allow for the fact that they are teenagers with there own upsets and tantrums, i am in my forties now but i can still recall what it was like being a teenager with all sorts of emotions spinning around in my head so this should be taken into acount when condeming someone for crying in the pits, also we should remember most of these riders read what is put on these forums.I would also like to add my congratualations to the promoters etc who put on a great evening of speedway.