British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NJT

2007 Line Up - Any Thoughts

But before you do make sure you spell it correctly.......concede.

Sorry! :P

A few interesting scenarios present themselves for next year.

Wieslaw Jagus (Poland)

Hans Andersen (Denmark)

Rune Holta (Norway, I guess)

The above have qualified.

Jason Crump (Australia)

Greg Hancock (United States)

Nicki Pedersen (Denmark)

Andreas Jonsson (Sweden)

Leigh Adams (Australia)

The above, I'd say, are safe and sound in the top 8 for this season.

Which leaves seven places.

Matej Zagar (Slovenia)

Has done remarkably well in his debut season and is currently lying 7th (6th if you remove Andersen from the equation). I can't see BSI and the FIM dropping Zagar from the circus - should be safe and sound for 2007.

Antonio Lindback (Sweden)

Early in the season it didn't look promising for Lindback, but the last couple of GPs have seen him in the final and up to 8th (7th excluding Andersen) in the standings. He had a nightmare at Bydgoszcz last season and a repeat would probably see him dip out of the all-important top 8, but I'd guess he'll be invited back regardless.

Jaroslaw Hampel (Poland)

A bit hit and miss is young Hampel, but a good performance at Bydgoszcz might be enough to see him hold on to his current 9th (8th excluding Andersen) position and security for 2007. Trouble is, I can't recall too many distinguished Bydgoszcz GP performances from Hampel. Failure to secure a "qualified" position could spell danger for Hampel, with Janusz Kolodziej - a BSI asset at Reading - waiting in the wings.

Tomasz Gollob (Poland)

Currently 10th in the standing, but his usual Bydgoszcz performance will take him safely into the top 8, but if he fails at Bydgoszcz, you've got to question his continued presence. His recent GP performances have been abject. Should be secure, but you never know.

Scott Nicholls (United Kingdom)

Has already gone on record as saying failure to qualify as of right would indicate that he isn't good enough to be there. I agree with him. But you suspect that he'll be there regardless of his serial failure to perform. Will be around in 2007, but probably shouldn't be.

Bjarne Pedersen (Denmark)

Has endured a dreadful time in the GPs this season after his encouraging 2006 season. And that could mean trouble for BP. Will BSI and the FIM really drop Iversen after a single season in which he's by no means disgraced himself? I wouldn't be surprised to see BP suffer the same fate as Hans Andersen last season and find himself dropped from the circus.

Lee Richardson (United Kingdom)

Maybe it was his performance at Bydgoszcz that saved him last season, or maybe it was his nationality. But surely nothing can save him this time around. And, in all honesty, it'd be a mercy killing to leave him out. Time to put him out of his misery.

Should he be replaced by a fellow countryman? I feel not. But most disagree. So which Briton should replace him? I don't particularly care. Make it Simon Stead - I could do with a good laugh.

Edited by Subedei

Crump & Adams = 2 Oz

N Pedersen & H Andersen = 2 Den

Jonsson & Lindback = 2 Swedes

Hampel & Jagus & Holta = 2+1 Poles

Zagar = 1 Slov

Hancock = 1 USA

Nicholls = 1 UK

Add

B Pedersen to make 3 Den.

Either Lindgren or Peter Karlsson to make 3 Swede.

Gollob to make 3 +1 Poles.

Loser is Iversen. If Gollob quits then choice between Sullivan, Harris, Loram, Kylmakorpi for last spot but probably given to UK rider.

Edited by J_D

It makes a big difference to PK and Bomber and the allocation of wildcards so I would say it matters in a big way.

i wondered if it could count for Hans now? beacuse hes officially replaced Tony R, so why shouldnt his points count? I understand when he was just the wild card that they couldnt count..... but now isnt he officially a GP rider?

And he qualified anyway...!

Quite funny how in the beginning, it seemed everyone thought Hans shouldn't even be there, then when he is, his points shouldn't count, but when it suits, his points should count! :unsure:

Truth is, if you count Hans' points, then his qualifier doesn't count. This opens the argument for PK finishing 4th in the qualifier to be qualified. Seems fair to me.

Alternatively, Nicholls probably won't finish top 8, but if wildcards are chosen to balance the sheets, as it were, then NKI should be out, Richardson should be out and Harris should be in.

Lets face it, Richardson sicknotes and bottles too much. He's had his chance. I'm no fan of Bomber, but he's exciting, young and on the up, unlike Richardson. NKI has performed woefully in the GP series, and Bomber outperformed him in the qualifier.

Nicholls isn't my favourite either, but he is the British number 1 and is capable when he performs.

Oh, and I forgot Lindback... he might be ok for it next year because if Matt Ford has any sense, its the end of EL for Lindback so he'll have plenty of time on his hands next year to prepare (if he's not doing National Service in Brazil)! :rolleyes:

Edited by T Blair

Given the current state of the scores in the GP with a big gap after 12th placed man, Bjarne Pedersen, I would suggest that those 12 minus Hans Andersen, whose score doesn't count, go in next year's Grand Prix. This leaves four places (plus the wild card each time). Those four should be the four finalists in the qualifier. Sorry, Simon and Bomber...