British Speedway Forum
Gaz W

British Selection For 2007

Well a few riders or people from riders teams have told me they think the Swedish league is the hardest and the Polish the most lucrative.We are only talking 3 or 4 here but they all say the same.

As an aside and getting further from the topic here are the worrying attendance figures for the Elitserien.Taken from Holsted web page

2006: 234.138

2005: 272.651

2004: 257.478

2003: 256.261

2002: 241.033

Edited by iris123

I see that Chris Harris equalled the Coventry track record tonight against Oxford and since the World Cup his average is up there with most of the GP riders. I think he should be given his chance next year, he can't be much worse than Richardson,Protasiewicz or Iversen. The main thing that would go against him would be the state of the tracks if Latvia last week is anything to go by.

The only fair way to decide this is for the top 2 English riders in the Elite League averages at the end of the season get the places.

Everyone would know where they stand then and may encourage some English riders to try a bit harder for their Elite League clubs during the season.

Thats a bit of an unfair way to measure. As much as I dislike Bomber, he is improving from beginning to end of the season. His form is now GP standard, if NKI is the standard, its well above GP standard. A weak start to the season would preclude a capable rider. Maybe the last GS average would be more appropriate, or perhaps a poll of the BSPA to nominate the wild cards...

Just some thoughts. :)

You wouldn't have argued for Harris's inclusion a year ago, would you?  :rolleyes:
No, so it's a godo job it's not last year! What has last year got to do with next years GP series? Tho I agree it'smore relevant than Egon Moller in 1983!!!

Well if he has ridden 18 times in UK this season that means he qualifies as having ridden in the UK multiplied by 18. :blink:
You are not very good at this!!!! You asked what current GP top 8 rider RIDES in GB. Well Andreas does not RIDE in GB, he RODE in GB.

Harris or Stead? Harris for me.

EL averages are now Stead 8.13, Harris 7.90. Getting closer!!

Edited by SCB

No, so it's a godo job it's not last year!  What has last year got to do with next years GP series?  Tho I agree it'smore relevant than Egon Moller in 1983!!!

If you'd troubled yourself to read the context, the point would have been clear :rolleyes: :

The rider in best current form is not necessarily the best rider in the longer term. Is Harris automatically a better GP performer than Stead because his current form is better? No! :wink:

Maybe we should give Phil Morris a Gp place. Froget current form and past results, we just don't know what he might do until we give him a chance!!

You have to use something to work out who to use, so why not current form (eg, this years averages)?

Or do you suggest picking on looks? Age? Shoe size?

If he were to qualify through a fair and open qualification process, good luck to him - he will have proved on the track that he's worthy of a place. :wink:

I see Stead scored a massive 2+1 points in his most recent outing for Torun (in the same meeting team mate Wieslaw Jagus - someone who can actually QUALIFY for the GPs - scored 12+1).

Yes, bang Stead in the GPs and let's all have a good laugh.

Edited by Subedei

If he were to qualify through a fair and open qualification process, good luck to him - he will have proved on the track that he's worthy of a place.  :wink:
I agree. So as the top 8 in the GP's qualify, , they ned 7 more rider, so the top 7 in the GP qualifiers. amazingly, a certian Mr C. Harris managed to come 5th!!!

Where was Simon Stead? About 11th I believe!

:approve::D:P

Edited by SCB

I think that we must go with youth, to help GB for the future, so must be Chris Harris, not sure Simon Stead is strong enough at this level yet.

This is what I was saying - he's had a poor season, but he's a classy rider. Given the form of which he's fully capable, I'd expect him to be up there with an excellent chance of making the cut in future years. Whether he or any other British rider would prosper in the current GP format is another matter, but we should certainly be preparing them for a leap in level as and when they reach those dizzy heights.

The GP started in April, Jonsson was still riding for Arena in May. Not only did Jonsson apparently ride in the EL 18 times this season he rode for Arena while riding in the GP.

That's very misleading - Jonsson rode 18 heats in the EL this season. You make it sound like 18 meetings.

Ha Ha, I’m not very good??

Where shall I start?

This’ll do.

Current averages? Okay, you win…..

Even though Bomber was absolutely hopeless at 1/5 including only scoring 4 v Belle Vue twice he is now reveling in the easier 3/4 team spot.

While Steady is easily maintaining his average at No.1 Bomber is enjoying the easier rides to increase his average.

He should get closer unless he isn’t as good as you think he is.

What a great idea, run a meeting, tell everyone that the top four will go into a final to decide the three qualifiers, finishing 5th or lower is worth diddly squat.

Run the meeting and then 6 weeks later announce that actually the top seven go through!

Do you work for the BSPA? 

The GP started in April, Jonsson was still riding for Arena in May. Not only did Jonsson apparently ride in the EL 18 times this season he rode for Arena while riding in the GP.

Jonsson, like Rickardsson and every other rider who wants to give himself a better than 1/60 chance of becoming world champion knows that you must ride in UK, that’s why it’s the EL that is the benchmark. Once you’ve got a grasp of that it easy to see who has earned the wildcard should there be a choice between Steady and Bomber.

You win. There's no arguing with logic like this!

Logically flawed and you're semantics when asking questions is quite clearly wrong too. So you then change the question, and change it and change it and you still don't get it right.

ANDREAS JONSSON DOES NOT RIDE IN THE ELITE LEAGUE. HE HAS RODE IN THE ELITE LEAGUE.

So how does Jonsson only riding in the EL for part of the GP season help Bomber gain a wildcard?

It proves that the EL (according to your way of thinking) is now weaker than Poland and Sweden. Meaning the Polish and Swedish averages in comparison carry the same/if not more leverage to Harris for a wildcard.

Drop a cog, you are refuse to acknowledge other people comments and facts which are being provided. It's a very shortened argument you hold.

To argue your case of Stead riding at no.1 for Belle Vue, Harris currently rides no.1 for his Polish team aswell. Stead rides at no.3 for his Polish club and struggles somewhat. His recent 2+1 outing is just an example view.

So how does Jonsson only riding in the EL for part of the GP season help Bomber gain a wildcard?

I don't know. You asked the question. I thought you had some (flawed) pet theory.