British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robbie B

What Are Sky TV Playing At?

I don't if you noticed that next weeks Slovenia GP, is gonna be shown on Sky Sports Extra. A channel that not everyone can get. What are thay thinking of :?:

It don't effect me, but loads of supporters watch the GP's on cable, a totally supid idea by Sky :twisted:

They are thinking of trying to get more people to subscribe to them instead.

ANyone know if they are showing it in the Czech republic??

:lol:

I will as long as he has stopped laughing at my attempt to pronounce Ceske Budovicje! :?

I don't if you noticed that next weeks Slovenia GP, is gonna be shown on Sky Sports Extra. A channel that not everyone can get. What are thay thinking of :?:

It don't effect me, but loads of supporters watch the GP's on cable, a totally supid idea by Sky :twisted:

I think the people you should be getting mad at here are the cable companies not Sky...

Anyway have you looked at next Saturday's schedule when the Slovenian GP is on?

Sky Sports 1 - Live Cricket until 7

Sky Sports 2 - Live Golf

Sky Sports 3 - Live Superleague Rugby

It doesn't take much to work out that speedway in terms of probable sponsorship and audience probably ain't up there enough to bump any of those down the list. It's not a vendetta by Sky to pee off the speedway fans. Besides its a legit channel for them - the fact that the cable companies don't have the deal to show it is down to the likes of NTL etc who are the people you should be sending your emails to....

We're getting pretty good service from Sky throughout the season - there's virtually 2 meetings a week on live and for the most part they're on the main Sky Sports Channels. If you don't like the service you're getting, do what we did and dump cable and move to Sky Digital (found it kicks cables butt anyway). :twisted: :)

Rabbit, you have missed the point. I have already got Sky Digital, but I do not think that it is fair that fellow supporters of the sport, should miss-out on GP coverage next week, or any other week.

Some people are paying sky subscription on cable TV, to watch speedway, but Sky are putting speedway on 'Sky Sports Extra', a channel that they cannot not receive.

I think that it is about time for Sky, and the cable companies sort this problem out.

No I get your point completely...my point was I don't see how Sky can be responsible for cable companies who don't pick up on certain of their channels. It's obviously a scheduling decision for the GP to be on Sky Sports Extra and it's something they've done one or two times in the past when the need has arisen so it's not a completely new problem.

It does need sorting out, but the fault lies with the cable companies IMO. I used to get narked with cable when I wanted to watch Superbikes on one of their channels that never used to start transmitting until midday - every now and then there would be a morning race and the cable companies wouldn't show it beuase it was before the slot they'd paid for so I'm well aware of the inadequacies of the service given by cable. :?

Guest Mr Flappy

So looking at this problem from a different point of view, how long have Sky been showing speedway 'live' on their channels? It dosn't take you long to realise that the people who subscribe to NTL etc are the ones who need to get their act together & switch to Sky, which would then mean that they don't need to moan!

It is so simple to switch so I can't see a problem, it can be the cost of phone calls as BT have some very favourable deals on at the moment & to be honest are much more professional in their customer care department compared to NTL who I & many of my friends think are

ass?*@£s who need to go & get a better education, brainlesss is an understatement!

Change to Sky & stop moaning! :P

So looking at this problem from a different point of view, how long have Sky been showing speedway 'live' on their channels? It dosn't take you long to realise that the people who subscribe to NTL etc are the ones who need to get their act together & switch to Sky, which would then mean that they don't need to moan!

It is so simple to switch so I can't see a problem, it can be the cost of phone calls as BT have some very favourable deals on at the moment & to be honest are much more professional in their customer care department compared to NTL who I & many of my friends think are  

ass?*@£s who need to go & get a better education, brainlesss is an understatement!

Change to Sky & stop moaning!  :P

Given that the deeds to my house state that I am not allowed a dish should I consider moving home just to subscribe to Sky ?

A somewhat simplistic outlook you have taken on this one Mr Flappy

Rico :roll:

Rico

We moved house last year for the same reason. The owner of the house let us put the dish up, then a neighbour of ours voted against it. Silly rule, it was only a teeny weeny dish. They would have got a shock if we put up the Scottish one we used to have :shock:

What are thay thinking of :?:

Milking you and the sport of every penny they can.

It does need sorting out, but the fault lies with the cable companies IMO.

Not really, Sky created SSE when the regulators forced them to give the cable operators access to the SKY sports regular channels. SSE was created with only 1 aim, to have an exclusive channel that the cable operators would have no access to.

SSE was created with only 1 aim, to have an exclusive channel that the cable operators would have no access to.

Which is a very sensible move to protect their business.

Sky isn't perfect but at the end of the day their business exists to make money. It would be nice to think they had some morale obligation to provide access to all and sundry without regard for their profits, but actually, they don't.

Truth is speedway is getting a higher profile as a result of Sky involvement and we're all seeing more racing. Hard to criticise that too much.

Sky are providing Speedway with more exposure than ever, those of you who are constantly whining about their coverage should cast your minds back 5 years.

Speedway has no divine right to TV coverage and the fact Sky choose to put it on Extra is their right, we are a minority sport and it's only rarely that Sky treat it as so.