British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dipster

U 15,s Redcar

Just got back from up north, that was different! Bloody freezing but good racing.

I'm getting increasingly worried about deciding to celebrate our Ruby Wedding Anniversary with a week's holiday "up North." :P Sounds like I'd better pack up the thermals, gloves, scarves & a hot water bottle. :lol:

Just got back from up north, that was different! Bloody freezing but good racing. Redcar has alot of potential to become a big team, lots of room to expand. Facilities were better than Readings, food was nice aswell.

Racing was good. No one was going to get near Joe, Ben or Adam today, Joe was very quick and deserved the title.

Well done Bren on getting it going again for the challenge meeting after, you said you got your head back and you prooved it, shame it wasnt in the Under 15's meeting! :wink:  :D

Special praise to Marc Owen, this boy was bloody quick! On a 250cc clocking times in the 61's was very impressive, he was half a lap ahead at the end of each heat. Perfect style and a great racer, shame he wasnt getting paid, 21 points. :lol:

Watched him last week, definately one for the future.

Just got back from the same meeting!

Very well done to Joe Haines.A thoroughly deserved winner.Apart from when Ben Hopwood got the better of him in a heat,he was never headed.In the Final,I thought Ben had the run on the inside,going into the 3rd turn,but for some reason,he hesitated,and Joe was gone.

Adam Wrathall rode steadily,if not spectacularly for third,with the surprise being George Piper.In his first heat,Meakins broke the tapes,but George got tangled up in them,bucked and reared,and almost got it back in control,only to fall base over apex by the 30 metre mark.Right in front of us.With a few minor repairs,he was on is way again,to finish 4th on the day.It was only after the meeting that I found out from his Dad,Steve,that George had actually twisted the frame,and forks.He rode with them off centre,making it even more remarkable that he rode so well.He was also suffering from double vision and had a screaming headache by the end.No surprise that he withdrew from the Academy meeting that followed.

By his own standards,Brendan rode poorly.He won his first race,and then missed the start in his second.Chasing hard after Wrathall and Piper,went for an inside dive on the first turn,and fell in a heap,but not after trying to head butt the safety fence! After walking back to the pits,he sought medical attention,and needed oxygen to clear his head.Advised to miss his other two rides,but cleared to ride in the Academy meeting.Restored some pride by getting 8 pts from his 3 rides.

The track was in excellent condition throughout,many congrats to Glyn and his team for that.We were treated to some lively races .Franklin and Greenwood put in some good rides,and you can visibly see that they have both improved since the begining of the season.

The whole meeting was well presented,and was a good advert for the future of our sport.Well done to Peter Oakes and his many helpers.There is a long way to go,but this is definitely the way forward.

If you get the chance to watch these youngsters,please take it.I am positive you will be very surprised at the standard.The next meeting for these lads,is at Newport next Sunday,which will take the form of a Best Pairs.

Once again,Congratulations to Joe Haines,Ben Hopwood,Adam Wrathall and George Piper.Top 4 on the day,and overall.

Oh yes,that wind made it very chilly indeed!!

Edited by BobC

Another superb day's racing from the young lads. I have really enjoyed being part of the Under 15 back up team this year supporting Oaksey with the meetings.

The fans , I am sure. appreciate not having any long gaps between the races with the riders always ready to come out and are lined up for the next race as the previous race is on -- I have tried to get them into this routine all year and it has worked. Hopefully this will go with them throughout their speedway careers -- we can but hope!!

Congratulations to each and every one of the lads who rode --- and to poor old (or should it be young!!) Kye Norton who bravely tried to but after the parade lap had to seek the paramedics advice on his shoulder injury and wisely withdrew from racing . The poor lad was gutted but it was the sensible thing to do.

The lads on the 250's enjoyed their races --all 7 of them!!

One last outing for the lads next Sunday at Newport with a Best pairs event ---with a few next year too old(!) to be part of the 2007 under 15 scene and aiming for places in the Conference League ---and that's what's it all about , bringing the kids on , slowly but surely.

Well done to Joe Haines on his victory, to Ben Hopwood on his runners-up slot (showing great grit after crashing last Monday in the Under 18's at Wolverhampton) and to Adam Wrathall on his third position.

A superb series --one I know I have enjoyed --as have the lads, dads, mums etc.

Another superb day's racing from the young lads. I have really enjoyed being part of the Under 15 back up team this year supporting Oaksey with the meetings.

The fans , I am sure. appreciate not having any long gaps between the races with the riders always ready to come out and are lined up for the next race as the previous race is on  -- I have tried to get them into this routine all year and it has worked. Hopefully this will go with them throughout their speedway careers -- we can but hope!!

Congratulations to each and every one of the lads who rode --- and to poor old (or should it be young!!) Kye Norton who bravely tried to but after the parade lap had to seek the paramedics advice on his shoulder injury and wisely withdrew from racing . The poor lad was gutted but it was the sensible thing to do.

The lads on the 250's enjoyed their races --all 7 of them!!

One last outing for the lads next Sunday at Newport with a Best pairs event ---with a few next year too old(!) to be part of the 2007 under 15 scene and aiming for places in the Conference League  ---and that's what's it all about , bringing the kids on , slowly but surely.

Well done to Joe Haines on his victory, to Ben Hopwood on his runners-up slot (showing great grit after crashing last Monday in the Under 18's at Wolverhampton) and to Adam Wrathall on his third position.

A superb series --one I know I have enjoyed --as have the lads, dads, mums etc.

and supporters. its a welcome change to watch the youngsters race, full of enthusiasm without the attitude. Lets hope more tracks provide facilities for them next year.

Not the times mate ---don't bother with them unless I am announcing!!

Ht1 : Richard Franklin (Rh) , Brendan Johnson (Buf) , George Piper (Buf), Matt Bates (Rh) ret 3-3 3-3

Ht 2 : Daniel Greenwood (Rh) , Shane Hazeldene (Buf) , Sean Patterson (Buf) , Chris Bint (Rh) 3-3 6-6

Ht 3 : Bates (Rh) , Greenwood (Rh) , Jack Butler (Buf) , Patterson (Buf) 1-5 7-11

Ht 4 : Johnson (Buf) , Franklin (Rh) , Hazeldene (Buf), Bint (Rh) 4-2 11-13

Ht 5 : Bates (Rh) , Hazeldene ((Buf) , Butler (Buf), Bint (Rh) 3-3 14-16

Ht 6 : Johnson (Buf) , Greenwood (Rh) , Franklin (Rh), Butler (Buf) 3-3 17-19

Buffalos 17 :

George Piper 1' = 1+1

Brendan Johnson 2 3 3 = 8

Sean Patterson 1' 0 = 1 +1

Shane Hazeldene 2 1 2 = 5

Jack Butler 1 1' 0 = 2 +1

Rhinos 19 :

Matt Bates R 3 3 = 6

Richard Franklin 3 2 1' = 6 +1

Daniel Greenwood 3 2' 2 =7 +1

Chris Bint 0 0 0 = 0

Edited by Main Man

Qualifying scores in the 12 heats in the Final :

1. Joe Haines 11

2. Ben Hopwood 10

3. Adam Wrathall 9

4. Sean Paterson 1 (replaced Kye Norton)

5. George Piper 10

6. Scott Meakins 2

7. Richard Franklin 8

8. Daniel Greenwood 8

9. Brendan Johnson 3

10. Ben Reade 0

11. James Sargeant 3

12. Jack Butler 4

Res : Shane Hazeldene 4

Quarter Final : Franklin , Sargeant, Hazeldene, Butler

Semi-Final : Wrathall , Piper, Greenwood, Franklin

Final : Haines, Hopwood, Wrathall , Piper.

-------------------------------------------------------

250cc Races :

Ht 1 : Marc Owen , Shane Hazeldene, Adam Portwood, Dale Lamb

Ht 2 : Owen , Hazeldene, Brendon Warvill, Portwood (fell)

Ht 3 : Owen , Portwood, Lamb, Warvill.

Ht 4 : Owen , Lamb, Warvill, Portwood(fell)

Ht 5 : Owen , Hazeldene, Warvill, Lamb

Ht 6 : Owen , Warvill, Lamb

Ht 7 : Owen , Warvill, Lamb

For those that do want race times......

Academy..Ht1.61.1,Ht2.61.8,Ht3.59.9,Ht4.60.3,Ht560.4,Ht6.60.8

250cc Races..Ht1.61.5,Ht2.61.9,Ht3.61.9,Ht4.Awd,Ht5.62.9,Ht6.63.2,Ht7.61.9

Hope that helps.

Thanks Bob for that--also during the meeting I'm too busy getting the lads ready for the races to listen out for times as well as organising the 250 lads, making sure they all have the chance to come off each gate and yesterday when we started off with five working out who was dropping out each time --although when Shane moved into the main meeting this solved that problem for a while ---and then we ended with three with Adam hurting his hand when he fell (hope he is ok !!).

Seeing those --some impressive times from young Marc Owen !!!

Edited by Main Man

Quite surprised a few of us too!

Mark Owen and Shane Hazelden certainly look quite accomplished and very stylish for ones so young.

A good days racing all round.Well worth the long drive from Poole!

taken from our local paper, the Evening Gazette :

Pocket rocket Joe Haines is celebrating his first speedway trophy after being crowned British Under-15 champion.

Now the pint-sized Cleveland Bays starlet has his sights on going right to the very top.

Haines, who turned 15 last month, has been a revelation in the Conference Shield this year, scoring double figures in all but one appearance for the South Bank-based Bays - and on the other occasion he recorded a paid maximum!

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

He went into Saturday's final round of the British Under-15 Championship at South Tees Motorsports Park with a two-point lead over nearest challenger Ben Hopwood in the aggregate standings.

And he duly completed the job on his home track, even coming from behind to beat Hopwood in the final.

"It's brilliant," said Haines, who is rated one of the hottest young prospects in speedway. "Ben beat me once when I missed the start but beat him in the final."

Among the spectators at Saturday's meeting was Redcar Bears captain Gary Havelock, who won the 1992 world championship.

Now Haines believes he can follow in Havvy's tyretreads by winning the sport's richest prize after cutting his speedway teeth on Teesside.

"If I didn't think I was going to become world champion, I wouldn't be doing it," said Haines.

"It's no good coming second - winning is what it's all about."

Haines scored 11 points from his four programmed rides on Saturday, losing only to Hopwood in his second outing.

That was good enough to put him straight through to the final, along with Hopwood who scored ten.

Adam Wrathall and George Piper made up the quartet in the final, but it was always going to be about Haines and Hopwood.

Hopwood trapped the quickest but Haines had the measure of him, roaring past on the first lap and stayed in front.

Next year there will be a 250cc British Championship for the young guns too, enabling our hottest young prospects to compete at an even younger age.

The riders will use purpose-built Jawa engines and the initiative should put British riders on an even keel with their counterparts in Scandinavia where youth speedway has long since flourished.

The 80cc engines used to such good effect by youngsters in Sweden and Denmark are no longer made, so the introduction of a 250cc championship over here will level the playing field.

Fans at South Tees Motorsports Park on Saturday were given a glimpse of the future in the form of seven non-championship 250cc races. All were won by 12-year-old Marc Owen in some style - watch for the name in a few years!

Cleveland Bays' final match of the season at home to Buxton Hitmen has been rescheduled for Thursday, October 26.

It had been due to take place this Thursday, but that is when the Bears' rained off Tyne Tees Trophy first leg against Newcastle will now take place.

"If I didn't think I was going to become world champion, I wouldn't be doing it," said Haines.

"It's no good coming second - winning is what it's all about."

Seems like he has the correct attitude as well as being an awesome prospect, good luck for the CL next season Joe.