British Speedway Forum
Robbie B

Your 1st Meeting

My First meeting was Hull vs Sheffield in 1995 opening match at Craven Park Hull won 60-36

Hull Team was

Jan Staechamann

Paul Smith

Paul Thorp

Alan Grahame

Nigel Crabtree

Glyn Taylor

Lee Dicken

Sheffield was if i remember rightly

R/R for Sergei Kuzin

George Stancl

Les Collins

Neil Collins

Bo Brhel (G)

Rene Aas

Greg Bartlett

Edited by Citytillidie

My 13th birthday was on the Sunday that was Mildenhall's opening match vs Scunthorpe. May 18th 1975.

Mildenhall lost as did my dad in the fens trying to find a way home to avoid all the traffic.

My 13th birthday was on the Sunday that was Mildenhall's opening match vs Scunthorpe. May 18th 1975.

Mildenhall lost as did my dad in the fens trying to find a way home to avoid all the traffic.

1971 Rayleigh Rockets v Boston, a friend inviting me along to The Weir in Essex

as his 11th birthday party. (Rayleigh captain? - the great Geoff Maloney).

I was dragged along to Swindon by a good friend and the rest of herfamily on 19 September 1983. I had been living in the Midlands, and we saw Speedway regularly on the local news back then, and it always struck me as mucky and boring.

I saw Leicester in their last season. We actually beat them, and two young riders happened to catch my eye - one was Bjorn Andersson and the other Per Sorensen. W also had the Man who was God - Crumpie!

I was hooked on the smell, as well as the thought of young men in leathers (still does something to me now, I confess).

My first away meeting was (I think) the Ole Olsen Farewell. Saw Michael Lee ride for the first time.

April 1946. Challenge match : New Cross v The Rest. Riders included Ron Johnson, Eric French, Les Wotton and in the second-half Mick Mitchell. I think New Cross won this challenge match. There had been a few meetings in 1945 but my mum wouldn't let me go see 'that noisy and dangerous sport'!

[/quote

Hey Speedyguy I wonder if you can make an old man happy. NO, not like that :D

I have it in my mind that Mick Mitchell was a leg-trailer. Am I more senile then even I thought :wink:

I'm pretty sure I did see some Aces home matches in 1971, but the programmes have gone AWOL. However, I do have a programme from Coventry v Hackney in the same year, which may have been my first meeting (we had relatives living in Coventry.) Anyone else see that match?

Started going regularly in the 72 season, which was one hell of a great year to be an Aces fan :D:approve:

Guest speedyguy

April 1946. Challenge match : New Cross v The Rest. Riders included Ron Johnson, Eric French, Les Wotton and in the second-half Mick Mitchell. I think New Cross won this challenge match. There had been a few meetings in 1945 but my mum wouldn't let me go see 'that noisy and dangerous sport'!

[/quote

Hey Speedyguy I wonder if you can make an old man happy. NO, not like that :D

I have it in my mind that Mick Mitchell was a leg-trailer. Am I more senile then even I thought :wink:

Mick Mitchell was indeed a spectacular legtrailer. He lived and either owned or worked in a grage at nearby Lee Green (in Lewisham). Before World War Two he raced for several seasons in amateur meetings at Crayford, then in 1939 rode at Crystal Palace when that team briefly came back in the Second Division of the National League. The star there was the South African rider Keith Harvey. It was Harvey who took him to New Cross in 1946 and both were the team's reserve riders many times. Harvey was then 50 years old.

In 1947, Mitchell moved mid-season to Birmingham in Division Two, and in later years rode in Division Three at Hull and then Swindon. For several seasons he was a big star in that league and was for a while the Division Three Bronze Helmet match race champion.

This was all at a time when tracks started to change from deep cinders to the slicker shale tracks which began to make conditions difficult for legtrailers. In the early 1950s, Mitchell retired. For many years he worked as a school caretaker in Lewisham. He died sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

Mick Mitchell was indeed a spectacular legtrailer. He lived and either owned or worked in a grage at nearby Lee Green (in Lewisham).  Before World War Two he raced for several seasons in amateur meetings at Crayford, then in 1939 rode at Crystal Palace when that team briefly came back in the Second Division of the National League. The star there was the South African rider Keith Harvey. It was Harvey who took him to New Cross in 1946 and both were the team's reserve riders many times. Harvey was then 50 years old.

In 1947, Mitchell moved mid-season to Birmingham in Division Two, and in later years rode in Division Three at Hull and then Swindon. For several seasons he was a big star in that league and was for a while the Division Three Bronze Helmet match race champion.

This was all at a time when tracks started to change from deep cinders to the slicker shale tracks which began to make conditions difficult for legtrailers. In the early 1950s, Mitchell retired. For many years he worked as a school caretaker in  Lewisham. He died sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

Many thanks for all that Speedyguy. Like you I was very lucky to start my speedway visits whilst there were a few leg trailers riding. I think that the true art of speedway started dying when they changed from cinders to shale. A lot cleaner to view but so boring, compared to when the riders used to fight to get on the boards rather than the white line.

HAPPY DAYS.

Guest speedyguy
Many thanks for all that Speedyguy. Like you I was very lucky to start my speedway visits whilst there were a few leg trailers riding. I think that the true art of speedway started dying when they changed from cinders to shale. A lot cleaner to view but so boring, compared to when the riders used to fight to get on the boards rather than the white line.

HAPPY DAYS.

At last, I seem to have found a kindred spirit in regard to what were the REALLY GREAT days of speedway racing. But I won't start again - I might upset Main Man!!

At last, I seem to have found a kindred spirit in regard to what were the REALLY GREAT days of speedway racing. But I won't start again - I might upset Main Man!!

Dont worry Speedyguy I have already labelled myself as the Victor Meldrew of this forum :lol::lol:

July 15th 1970 Belle vue v Halifax 51-27 to the Aces, I was used to going to football but had some mates who regularly went to speedway,so one wednesday night I tagged along and by about heat 2 I was hooked, watching speedway was brilliant and for the next 8 years or so I not only never missed a home meeting but joined the supporters club and travelled all over Britain, British league matches,individual meetings the lot, 3 world finals 72,75,78.Favorite other tracks were:

Halifax,Sheffield,Swindon,Coventry,Wolverhampton,Cradley.

First meeting 1982 BV VS CRADLEY ko cup 2nd leg, we lost on aggregate, oh well at least it got me ready for future dissapointments :rolleyes: Carnt remember much of the meeting as i was only 7 at the time!!!

Saturday 13th June 1964(rescheduled from Friday 12th because of rain),Southern League. Newport 52(Golden 12,Erskine 9,Bradley 12,Penniket 2,Vandenberg 11, Vic White 3, Ray Harris 3), Long Eaton 25 (Adams 6, Mills 0, Ray Wilson 3, Storer 6, Ron Sharp 3,Bodie 3, Vale 4) Alby Golden broke track record in first race.. To Mart w-the result of the first meeting you saw was Newport 38 CH 40. To Berthoven-you're not old 70 is the new 50 just as 60 is the new 40 so you are only 53. I should know as I have just turned 40 having been born in 1946-have a beer on me!!!

I sent this to Bert Kingo..... LOL!

As a 5 year old lad sitting at side of me Dad, its Saturday night so its Speedway night. I’m in Mum’s chair at side of me Dad real glad its BelleVue at Halifax tonight. Me Dad parks near the pub and me hearts racing cos I can hear bikes warming up. It’s me second season now so I know where the pits are. So I’m running round the 3rd turn, just looking at that track and imagine the riders are going round, passing me cos now I’m within smelling range, the engines are echoing through the grandstand. The crackling and banging and the smell of the castor oil, I’m coming off the 4th turn and running behind the main stand. Got to get an autograph!

Too late, they are all at the start line, can’t even see a rider and I’ve been here 5 minutes. I’ll have to run up to the riders car park and climb the embankment, just in time as both teams got a push start for their lap of honour. Now I can see the chrome on the spokes, they look like sparkers from the track lights. The shiny black leathers, just like me school shoes. There’s Kentwell all in red and Eric Boocock with his Man United shirt. Oh no! whats that! There’s no elephant, NO ELEPHANT! I got to go and tell me Dad, they’ve taken the elephant away. I like it up here near the bus depot, but I like sliding down the hill. I got to run all the way back round to the middle of the 3rd & 4th turn. But soon as you get out from behind the grandstand and I got to the 3rd turn, there was people everywhere, it was packed full. I don’t recognise any of them, where’s me Dad!

I’ll have to go down near the fence so I can find where the middle of the corner is. Oh no I’ve already missed 2 races and I haven’t even got down to the fence yet. I wonder what they have done with me elephant cos we were called the Dukes. I don’t want to be called anything else, I want to be a Duke with me elephant on the front of me. I’ve found the fence, race has finished!! Wonder if one of them is going to come back around, I’ll wait. I can see some tear offs, I’m going to get a lot of them this year, I’m 5 now. Don’t have to stay with me Dad at turn 3, I can slide down the big hill where the bus depot is, jump fence and pick em up all way down front straight. When me Dad said I was 5, I could go from turn 4 to turn 1, so I can now. Oh here’s middle of corner, he’s just up here. Can’t see nowt now, oh there’s the bikes, there’s a race, I’m going down t fence. Lots of people, wish I was taller, got them bars that me Dad leans on and he usually lets me stand on that. It’s Boocock and Gaveross, wish it was Younghusband and Boothroyd cos that’d been the first race. Oops theres a crash in the second corner and they’ve stopped the race. Looks like Boothroyd’s got a swan on the front of his chest, oh no me elephants gone and they’ve got a swan!!!

I don’t like that, what they got a swan for, got to go back to school and tell me mates that I’ve been watching the swans!!

I’m not going to tell em swans, I’m going to tell me Dad they’ve got swans. I don’t like swans!!

I like elephants.

I can’t see nothing and there’s been 6 races or is it 8. I want the toilet too, I want me elephant, I don’t want swans, and where’s me Dad. Everyone is cheering and everyone is clapping and me favourite song is playing too, “Ha Ha said the Clown”

There’s me Dad, its half time. Got to go to toilet before racing starts again. “Dad, me elephant’s gone! they got a swan!! Instead”.

“No lad, its just an elephants head”,

“What they cut his head off?”

“Yeah”

“What they cut his head off for?”

“I don’t know”

“Its not a swan then?”

“No”

“Are you sure its not a swan?”

“Look lad here’s sixpence, go get yourself a bag of crisps and a bottle of pop”

“Are we winning Dad?”

“Just, now go and get your crisps cos interval is nearly over”

Now I got me crisps, now all I needs is me drink. There’s a lot of people here tonight, me Dad always sends me for a packet of crisps when the scores get level.

Back at the pits now, I got me book. I’m going to stick it through fence and get em to sign it cos you can get right close to riders. I’ve got 3, Alan Jay, the other 2 I don’t know. Must be famous though!

I’ll have to ask me Dad.

I’m going to go up hill right where buses are, hope I don’t lose me book, me Dad gave it me for Christmas and I got 3 names in it. It’s me own book. Me Dad always stands with his mates and never goes to the pits. Sometimes he’s let me run down the back straight after all the races have finished cos riders changing rooms is down there under back straight stand. Oh race has finished, wonder who’s in next one. Hope its Les Sharp, wish I was 6 I’d be tall then. Where’s the riders, come on I want to see a race. What they doin, the big lights have gone out. Whats happened! Its finished! It can’t have finished, I just got here! I got to tell me Dad the lights have gone out. I like sliding down this hill, I can jump over fence, there’s a rider I can get him to sign me book, thats 4 now. Oh I can jump fence real quick, get some tear offs, get down back straight t changing rooms cos if I run fast enough round track and get all these tear off’s I’ll get these 3 riders walking across pitch. “Ta, Thank you” got another 3, that’s 7 now. Not all same team but that don’t matter cos their all famous.

Where’s me Dad, I got to tell him I got names in me book and I don’t like the elephants head cos I’ve seen 1 of em.

I’m glad I don’t have to tell me friends it’s a swan.

There’s me Dad, “I got names in book Dad”

“Where the hell have you been lad, meeting finished ½ hour ago, been worried sick and looking every where for you. Been to pits and back and what the bloody hell have you got all over your arms and in your pockets?”

“Its me tear off’s, these are Boococks and these are Kentwells”

“You aint takin them in my bloody car, throw them back over the fence, and where did you get these names in your book?”

“Some round at the pits and some in front of the changing rooms”

“Right, told you, you go from the 4th turn to the 1st turn for your autographs and back and NO further, where’s all that mud come from and you’ve ripped a hole in your pants, wait till your mother see’s you. You’ve been sliding down that hill from the bus depot again haven’t you? your mother’s going to kill me and we going to be home 45 minutes late now. Your not coming next week”

“Oh but Dad I haven’t even seen races yet”.

“Don’t care, shut up and get in car, I’m in enough trouble with your mum”

“Its not my fault, I couldn’t see and they took me elephant away, I don’t care what you say cos I’m going again and you ain’t aloud to go without taking me, Mum said!!!!! Cos she needs her rest”

Regards. ;)

Bert emaild me with .........

Web Site http://www.bkperformance.com.au

----- Original Message -----

Subject: Cainy's early days at Halifax

Bludy graaet!!

Note like old times an memories t bring tear t eye, or should that be I ?

Thee'd even forgotten that old tram sheds what becum buuss depot were on back of 1st n 2nd turns.

Bert. B)

------------------------------------

LOL! B

Regards.