British Speedway Forum
Guest Donsking

Crystal Palace

Guest Donsking

Hi all

I've been asked by my local historical society to find out what I can about Crystal Palace Glaziers, so my first stop is the collective brain cell of the BSF!

So, can anyone fill in any details about the team, like what periods they raced in, were they any good etc.?

Any info gratefully received

Cheers

Hi all

I've been asked by my local historical society to find out what I can about Crystal Palace Glaziers, so my first stop is the collective brain cell of the BSF!

So, can anyone fill in any details about the team, like what periods they raced in, were they any good etc.?

Cheers

Track opened 1928, in various leagues from 1928 to 1933. Then ran open meetings until 1939 when back in league. Last meeting at Easter 1940 when Bill Longley won the London Championship (so I understand) and Keith Harvey set the last track record for the circuit. In 1934 and 1935, then again in 1938, the track was used for midget car racing. No other real details about the track.

The late Lionel Crossley did a good book on the history of the Palace and Norman Jacobs covered them in his History of London Speedway. Both books are still around for purchase I think. Dont forget to contact Norman for peermission to quote his work.

Any team that included Ron Johnson in its side was good.

Edited by star ghost

Any team that included Ron Johnson in its side was good.

Except, sadly, Edinburgh in 1960.

Except, sadly, Edinburgh in 1960.

Sadly, there were underlying reasons for this, as have been well documented many times in magazines like the VSM.

Basically, Johnno should nevre have been relicenced to ride after his terrible crash at Wimbledon in 1949.

At his peak, he was one of the all-time greats of speedway racing.

Same Ron Johnson. He was in his 50s by then.

I have lots of info on Crystal Palace, Donsking. Perhaps we could get together in the Eggheads studio...or alternatively, I can e-mail you info. Is there anything in particular you want to know or is it just general?

I've got an excellent book called Racing at Crystal Palace by Philip Parfitt.

Published in the early 1990s, it concentrates mainly on motor racing and motorcycle road racing, but it does have a full chapter devoted to speedway.

Might be worth looking on Amazon for it if you're interested. It's a first class motorsport book.

Graham.

The first Crystal Palace team in 1929, named for the Southern League was:

Triss Sharp (captain), George Lovick, Brian Donkin, Arthur Willmott, Joe Francis, Jack Barrett.

As the season went on, other riders were introduced.

The 1939 team was captained by Keith Harvey, From what I know, riders included Charlie Appleby, Mick Mitchell, George Gower, Les Trim. Appleby was a Canadian. Another Candadian who rode second-half there was Eddie 'Flash' Barker.

Hi all

Cheers

I have a spare copy of the Crystal palace book, I thought I'd lost mine and got another one only for my original to turn up!, I will try and look it out.

I have a spare copy of the Crystal palace book, I thought I'd lost mine and got another one only for my original to turn up!, I will try and look it out.

I remember this book. It was quite a good read, but there were some errors in it.

Sadly, I also lost my copy years ago. Waiting with hope for it to reappear on e-bay.

The photos in the book were quite good and typical of that era of the sport. Mentioned quite prominently was Dr Belton's favourite girl - the legendary Fay Taylour.

Guest Donsking

Thanks for your replies so far guys, I knew I could rely on you!

Norbold, if you get five minutes can you e-mail anything you can, any info is appreciated; basically, my town forum are considering a website feature on Crystal Palace's connection with motorsport, and I want to make sure Speedway doesn't get left to a few lines at the bottom of the page as it usually does.

Thanks for your replies so far guys, I knew I could rely on you!

Norbold, if you get five minutes can you e-mail anything you can, any info is appreciated; basically, my town forum are considering a website feature on Crystal Palace's connection with motorsport, and I want to make sure Speedway doesn't get left to a few lines at the bottom of the page as it usually does.

I live in Streatham. Is this thesis likely to appear in this area eventually. Crystal Palace is about a 20 mnute bus ride from here - for those interested (!!!!) I do have a bus pass!

Guest Donsking
I live in Streatham. Is this thesis likely to appear in this area eventually. Crystal Palace is about a 20 mnute bus ride from here - for those interested (!!!!) I do have a bus pass!

I hope so, although it rather looks like I might end up with the job of writing the article so I can't tell you it's gonna happen in the next week or so!

As soon as anything substantial happens, I'll let everyone know.

Another 1939 aspirant was the famous legtrailer Bernard 'Bronco' Slade, probably on loan to Crystal Palace from Hackney Wick.