British Speedway Forum
f-s-p

Finnish News

BTW, what would a Finnish rider get as a starting average in Premier League? 5.00 if he has no experience of top league action in Poland or Sweden, am I correct?

Well, I'm going to write something that will surely make f-s-p's day...

I have seen Jari Mäkinen a couple of times, this afternoon I saw him in a league match for the first time, riding for Team Canvac against Nässjö (in Nässjö) in the Swedish Division 1 league. He definitely looked to to be the most talented rider on show, a stylish rider with good control on the bike. However, IMO he would probably need a couple of seasons in the Allsvenskan league before considering a Premier League season.

I'm also a bit of a fan of Juha Hautamäki, possibly because he has ridden my home track Vetlanda very well on several occasions. I think he would be able to hold his average as a 5.00 second string.

Over to you f-s-p!

I dont really know the rules that well... But they gave Tero Aarnio 8? in 2005 when he was supposed to ride for Kings Lynn. Thats because he had a few matches for Rospiggarna in the Elitserien when they won it.

I think Jari needs a bit of toughness and to improve his gating. His speed is developing nicely though. And indeed doesn't he look good on the bike. :approve: His brother was there yesterday and said that he was excluded in his first a little easily and that the pass he made in heat 16 was "a mans work". Can you confirm this?

Something happened to Hautamäki in between 2004 and 2005 and all of a sudden he just started to look like a speedway rider. I'm sure if he'd take the chance he'd make it as a 2nd string in the PL.

Edited by f-s-p

His brother was there yesterday and said that he was excluded in his first a little easily and that the pass he made in heat 16 was "a mans work". Can you confirm this?

Even though it was on the first/second bend and it usually means all 4 back when somebody fall, I thought the referee made the correct decision from my position exiting the second bend. Jari drifted wide (possibly picked up some unwanted grip from the inside line) and Lennart Persson fell. I'm not 100% sure it was contact between them but it looked that way, either way Jari took his line and if Persson wouldn't have laid down as he saw Jari coming, I think it would been a bigger crash.

The pass in heat 16? Well, Christ, I don't know how he managed to squeeze by Krister Jacobsen and the fence going down the backstraight entering bend three, it surely was "a mans work" - excellent!

The pass in heat 16? Well, Christ, I don't know how he managed to squeeze by Krister Jacobsen and the fence going down the backstraight entering bend three, it surely was "a mans work" - excellent!

:approve::approve:

I dont know where his brother was standing, but he said there was no contact. Probably Jari's words. Not that it matters... :)

It just proves how hard it is being a speedway referee. I spend most meetings in Vetlanda in the referee's box (doing live updates among other things) and for a ref to make decisions on falls/situations on bend two and three are - by far - the most difficult on the track, especially if the rider on the inside line charges under another rider with him falling.

It just proves how hard it is being a speedway referee. I spend most meetings in Vetlanda in the referee's box (doing live updates among other things) and for a ref to make decisions on falls/situations on bend two and three are - by far - the most difficult on the track, especially if the rider on the inside line charges under another rider with him falling.

Indeed. At least when I was an ice hockey ref I usually was where it was happening... It would help if the ref in question had a history in riding the bike. Then he'd be able to say how harsh a move actually is.

The lineup for the Wittstock meeting is here.

We will see if Jari get's any points... B)

The lineup for the Wittstock meeting is here.

We will see if Jari get's any points...  B)

:o

Now you're even pinching my news to boost your figures!!!! :P

Seiously though.It is a bit disappointing that more don't look and comment on the various news threads from around the world.I have seen some people comment that they never look in this section.And then when a rider signs for a club you get people saying "Who is he?I've never heard of him!"When we have been reporting about these riders for years :( It was like that with Smoli + Hefenbrock.Will probably be the same if and when Kevin Wölbert signs

Edited by iris123

Guest Schumi

Must admit I usually get to the third letter of each name then give up trying to pronounce it. :( Sorry f-s-p. :D

Edited by Schumi

Must admit I usually get to the third letter of each name then give up trying to pronounce it. :(  Sorry f-s-p. :D

Thats as far as I get with some of the polish one's! :approve:

One piece of news yet untold is that Team Finland will track the same team in SWC Vojens as it did in the qualifier. So you will see what Tero Aarnio is made of. This was the story from our team manager after Aarnio blew all his engines and finished rock bottom in our national final.

Edited by f-s-p

Guest Schumi

Well, I do know who Jari Makinen is now though. :wink:

And I wouldn't post so much on the German threads if the originator didn't keep on at me about the latest hot prospects and that no-one else listens to him. :P

Seriously f-s-p - you cover it so well there's no need for me to post. :approve:

Agree with Schumi, F-S-P's coverage of the Finnish scene is so good it often doesn't need any comment but rest assured your excellent updates are well read and appreciated!

Could I just raise a few general questions about speedway in Finland??

What sort of admission fee do clubs charge for a typical League meeting?

What are crowd figures like for these meetings?

Are most of the riders basically amateur's, racing for the love of the sport?

When you go to a meeting in Finland what sort of facilities are there for supporters at the tracks? Do they all have seating area's? Can you buy food and a drink? Do clubs have a track shop selling souvenirs? Do they always issue a programme?? Do they play Finnish Death Metal music between races!! :D:D

Is there activity at Finnish tracks which don't stage league mmetings, for instance maybe practice sessions or individual club meetings?

And finally any chance of a revival of a League club in Helsinki?

Actually thats quite a few questions but Iam sure the answers would be of great interest to anyone planning to take in a Finnish meeting if they are visiting Suomi....

Over to you F-S-P!!!

Kiitos :)

from one end to the nother... :lol: here it goes...

Agree with Schumi, F-S-P's coverage of the Finnish scene is so good it often doesn't need any comment but rest assured your excellent updates are well read and appreciated! Thank you, I agree :D

What sort of admission fee do clubs charge for a typical League meeting? 10 €, I think Pori only take 5 or 7 €

What are crowd figures like for these meetings? This year league has had 200-300, last year Pori had 1000 since they gave away 6000 free tickets prior to the season start in scholls and such. I'd say this season 200 seems norm, 300 sounds great.

Are most of the riders basically amateur's, racing for the love of the sport? Amateurs yes. Juha Hautamäki has just added a "part time rider" in his status on his website. Riders like Palomäki, Reima, Mäkelä?, Aarnio and Hautamäki ride enough during the summer that there might be a small pay in it for them, but surely it distracts them from their working. Then there's riders like Jari who are too young to work (and cant do anything yet) so daddy pays. Every rider in Finland works during the winter.

When you go to a meeting in Finland what sort of facilities are there for supporters at the tracks? Do they all have seating area's? Can you buy food and a drink? Do clubs have a track shop selling souvenirs? Do they always issue a programme?? Do they play Finnish Death Metal music between races!! :D Some play music, some dont. Pori, Seinäjoki, Kauhajoki, Lahti all have good facilieties, including toilets. Usually there are no souvenirs. Finnish programs are seasonal? this year with the scorechart folded in the same package for every meeting. For example the facilities at Kuusankoski are non excistent. Coffee, sausage, soda, candy you can buy at every track. I think only Seinäjoki has the license to sell beer.

Is there activity at Finnish tracks which don't stage league mmetings, for instance maybe practice sessions or individual club meetings? Yes, but I dont know when. Haapajärvi was supposed to have a individual meeting early June but they cancelled it because there were not enough riders. They even had a 170 € check for the eventual winner... Big money!

And finally any chance of a revival of a League club in Helsinki? At the moment cant see Helsinki ever getting a track. But the club has a very keen speedway promoter in Kalevi Kyyhkynen. He's been paying the points money for the Leijonat-team in the recent years. Unfortunately he wasn't able to take part in the league this year. They can ride their home meetings in Hyvinkää.

Here are the Finnish league tracks with GPS coordinates someone has copypasted from online services. If anyone ask's, it wasnt me... :rolleyes:

Routakallio

Routakalliontie, 60280 Seinäjoki

Lat: N 62º 44' 42.81"

Long: E 22º 54' 39.21"

Kauhajoki

Sotkantie, 61800 Kauhajoki

Lat: N 62º 24' 34.60"

Long: E 22º 14' 31.48"

Kuusankoski

Kuusaantie, 45720 Kuusankoski

Lat: N 60º 53' 27.46"

Long: E 26º 38' 8.89"

Lahti

Lakkilantie, 15610 Lahti TRACK PICTURE here!!

Lat: N 60º 57' 18.88"

Long: E 25º 42' 19.48"

Pori

Vauhtimontuntie, 28800 Pori

Lat: N 61º 33' 46.65"

Long: E 21º 33' 38.23"

Back to Jari once more... His brother was coming home from Sweden yesterday and sent me an SMS saying how Jari is so great and all that and how well he rode. The usual stuff that anyone will say after a few drinks. But he knows the stuff since he was himself a former rider (never really good) and now he's his #1 sponsor financially. So if he's happy, I think we all should be happy. Hopefully everything goes well in Wittsock.

I'm now off to celebrate the midnight sun...

Edited by f-s-p

Kiitos F-S-P for such a comprehensive reply to all the questions!!!!

Hopefully all that info will have wetted the appetite for some fellow forum members to take in a Finnish speedway meeting!!

Its a shame there is no likelihood of any regular racing in Helsinki itself. I remember a Norwegain side competed in the Swedish Allsvenska League a couple of seasons ago. I wonder if any Finnish promoter has ever considered entering a Finland team in the Swedish set-up with maybe the home meetings being spread around the tracks in Finland. Might give some of the Finnish riders more opporunities of riding at a higher level on a more regular basis and they could still ride for their Finnish League teams at the same time with careful fixture planning?? Just a thought.....!

Its a shame there is no likelihood of any regular racing in Helsinki itself. I remember a Norwegain side competed in the Swedish Allsvenska League a couple of seasons ago. I wonder if any Finnish promoter has ever considered entering a Finland team in the Swedish set-up with maybe the home meetings being spread around the tracks in Finland. Might give some of the Finnish riders more opporunities of riding at a higher level on a more regular basis and they could still ride for their Finnish League teams at the same time with careful fixture planning?? Just a thought.....!

We already have a full team riding in the Swedish league, it's just that they all ride in different clubs. :D Your idea is great though, that's probably why they are currently trying to fix a Finnish team to the Swedish ice racing league for next winter. So far so good on that front, we will see if it really happens.

Thats good news, lets hope it comes off and is successful. Which in turn might see a Finnish select team taking part in the summer speedway version of the Swedish League in the not too distant future..... :)

2nd Kauhajoki Speedway 30.6.2007

Meeting abandoned after heat 16 because of rain. Rene Lehtinen declared winner by a throw of a coin.

Rene Lehtinen 3333 12

Joni Keskinen 3333 12

Petri Koskela 3313 10

Markku Autio 2233 10

Kalle Katajisto 1232 8

Aarni Heikkilä 2212 7

Petteri Koivunen 2122 7

Teemu Lahti 132R 6

Tero Aarnio 3F2F 5

Timo Villanen 1211 5

Toni Stenberg 0022 4

Jan-Eric Korkeamäki 0101 2