British Speedway Forum
KevH

Crewe

Does anyone have the details of the track record at Earle Street please?

I'd like to know the record at the end of 1973, the holder, and the date achieved,

and also at the end of 1975 when the track was slightly longer.

Any help really appreciated.

I always remember the Crewe track record being the one in the Guinness Book of Records in the 70s as the fastest rider in the UK and the track record being held by Barry Meeks - who I'd never heard of.

Ccan't help any more than that though.

I always remember the Crewe track record being the one in the Guinness Book of Records in the 70s as the fastest rider in the UK and the track record being held by Barry Meeks - who I'd never heard of.

Ccan't help any more than that though.

Shame on you :D

Barry Meeks while not a top line speedway rider was a top man at grass track racing. A big circuit like Earle Street would have been well suited to him.

Track record at the end of the 1973 Season was held by Lou Sansom (Workington) at 70.8 set on September 24.

The Track record at the end of the 1975 Season was held by Cliff Anderson (Crewe) at 70.0 set on March 31 according to my Speedway Stars - track length was increased by 6 Yards to 436.

Many, many thanks for that Steve. :approve:

Grachan, the Barry Meeks track record (70.4) stood at the end of 1970, after which the track length was significantly reduced.

Many, many thanks for that Steve. :approve:

Grachan, the Barry Meeks track record (70.4) stood at the end of 1970, after which the track length was significantly reduced.

If anyone is good at maths, can they redefine these race times into mph calculated over the size of track covered.

I know there is a formula to do this, but as an old-timer, the grey cells aren't what they used to be so it's a bit beyond me.

If anyone is good at maths, can they redefine these race times into mph calculated over the size of track covered.

I know there is a formula to do this, but as an old-timer, the grey cells aren't what they used to be so it's a bit beyond me.

Divide yards covered by 1760, multiply by 3600 then divide by time in secs.

Can I pass this time/speed question on please?

1760 = yds in 1 mile

3600 = secs in 1 hr

So, for the last Crewe record

436yds/lap x 4laps =1744yds / 1760 x 3600 / 70 = 50.96mph

If he was faster than Crumpy. :o ......... What motor did he have?  :rolleyes:

Regards.

Two valve Jawa engine and frame and a rear sprocket the size of BIG Ben's clock face.I as not there that night but was told that the track was deep and wet which suited BM down to the ground.He was a good solid team rider but was never going to make the big time in s/way as was already stated an excellent grass man though.

1760 = yds in 1 mile

3600 = secs in 1 hr

So, for the last Crewe record

436yds/lap x 4laps =1744yds / 1760 x 3600 / 70 = 50.96mph

Then how does that equate to Barry Meeks' time - please? I was a maths duffer at school, once got 11 out of 100 in an exam - claimed as 'the school's worst ever exam mark' in the subject!

Two valve Jawa engine and frame and a rear sprocket the size of BIG Ben's clock face.I as not there that night but was told that the track was deep and wet which suited BM  down to the ground.He was a good solid team rider but was never going to make the big time in s/way as was already stated an excellent grass man though.

You are right about the engine & frame but we used 21 teeth engine sprocket. The biggest available rear sprocket in those days was 60 teeth.

Wonder where meeksie is nowadays ????

Track record at the end of the 1973 Season was held by Lou Sansom (Workington) at 70.8 set on September 24.

The Track record at the end of the 1975 Season was held by Cliff Anderson (Crewe) at 70.0 set on March 31 according to my Speedway Stars - track length was increased by 6 Yards to 436.

I realise that adding a reply to this, so long after the event (Dec 06) may be a waste of time, but having just found this thread...I can't help putting the record straight.

The Crewe Track record held by Cliff Anderson!!!!!!???? No way. He wasn't even riding in 1975 and if he was he might have once won a race in 70 secs. But the record was well under 70 secs by the the time Crewe shut (RIP) at the end of '75. Yes the track lenght was 436yds, but the record was set by Dave Morton on 12th August 1974 at 68secs!!!! At the time that was also in the Guinness Book of records, as the fastest on an existing track.

God knows what the Crewe record would have been today if it was still running...it was very, very fast.