British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedyguy

Les Webbon

Les Webbon was making good progress for New Cross in 1946. He had established a team place by mid-season.

It's sketchy memory now, but did he have a serious crash sustaining a head injury. He never rode again.

Where did he race before New Cross - ie in the seasons just preceding World War Two in September 1939?

I believe that in the early part of 1946 Webbon had a second-half ride at Wimbledon

PS: I don't have a copy, but it's likely the accident was recorded in the match reports section of the 1947 Stenners Annual, probably between mid-June to early August.

Thanks out there!

Edited by speedyguy

I know Les Webbon had a few rides at Odsal in early 46 but then came down to New Cross as he was not doing any good up North.

I suppose Les will be most remembered for the events in late May at Plough Lane, Wimbledon where he won a match for the Rangers in front of about 30,000 fans, "but didn't" due to a later hearing at the Control Board.

Les was the second reserve in the Rangers team and didn't score in heat 8 as he fell. In heat 12 Ron Johnson fell and the race was rerun with Les in Rons place, Les finished third behind Lloyd Goffe and his partner Keith Harvey for a 3 - 3, Wimbledon 33 New Cross 38. In heat 13 Les took his other reserve ride and Geoff Pymar beat George Saunders and Cyril Brine with Les at the back for another 3 - 3 and Rangers were then in a stonewall winning position as they led 41 - 36. In heat 14 they only needed a finisher to take the match. Harvey and Mick Mitchell lined up for the Rangers but Mitchell crashed and brought down Dick Harris of the Dons. Mick was excluded from the rerun and again Les was put in as a replacement. Harveys bike spluttered to a halt in the rerun but whilst Harris and Mike Erskine came over the line in front Les chugged home in third place. New Cross had won 42 - 41 but they reckoned without Ronnie Greene who protested and Les had his two points deducted so Dons won 41 - 40. The Control Board then rewrote the rule to say that when a race is stopped then a Reserve cannot replace the rider causing the stoppage.

Les was later injured and I do not recall him riding again.

Edited by star ghost

I know Les Webbon had a few rides at Odsal in early 46 but then came down to New Cross as he was not doing any good up North.

I suppose Les will be most remembered for the events in late May at Plough Lane, Wimbledon where he won a match for the Rangers in front of about 30,000 fans, "but didn't" due to a later hearing at the Control Board.

Les was the second reserve in the Rangers team and didn't score in heat 8 as he fell. In heat 12 Ron Johnson fell and the race was rerun with Les in Rons place, Les finished third behind Lloyd Goffe and his partner Keith Harvey for a 3 - 3, Wimbledon 33 New Cross 38. In heat 13 Les took his other reserve ride and Geoff Pymar beat George Saunders and Cyril Brine with Les at the back for another 3 - 3 and Rangers were then in a stonewall winning position as they led 41 - 36. In heat 14 they only needed a finisher to take the match. Harvey and Mick Mitchell lined up for the Rangers but Mitchell crashed and brought down Dick Harris of the Dons. Mick was excluded from the rerun and again Les was put in as a replacement. Harveys bike spluttered to a halt in the rerun but whilst Harris and Mike Erskine came over the line in front Les chugged home in third place. New Cross had won 42 - 41 but they reckoned without Ronnie Greene who protested and Les had his two points deducted so Dons won 41 - 40. The Control Board then rewrote the rule to say that when a race is stopped then a Reserve cannot replace the rider causing the stoppage.

Les was later injured and I do not recall him riding again.

Many thanks for this. I am certain that Les suffered a head injury and this led to his retirement.

I wonder was he a pre-war rider or a product of post-war training schools? Any idea where his accident took place - it was in mid-season and probably recorded in the Stenners Annual results for 1946 carried in their 1947 edition.

In the match mentioned above, how did Les have TWO points deducted?

Edited by speedyguy

Les had the points he scored in heats 12 and 14 deducted as they were gained from replacement rides when no replacement should have been used. The rider in 4th place did not get a point awarded instead of Les as they (Charlie Dugard & Keith Harvey respectively) both packed up with motor trouble in these races.

I have looked through the excellent Speedway Researcher site and found New Cross records for 1946. Les Webbon is listed in the Rangers line-up at Bradford on 27 July but in the team that rode at Belle Vue on 3 August his name does not appear. The New Cross British Championship Round was run at this time but Les is not listed at that meeting.

Maybe his crash came in Practice somewhere that week?

Les had the points he scored in heats 12 and 14 deducted as they were gained from replacement rides when no replacement should have been used. The rider in 4th place did not get a point awarded instead of Les as they (Charlie Dugard & Keith Harvey respectively) both packed up with motor trouble in these races.

I have looked through the excellent Speedway Researcher site and found New Cross records for 1946. Les Webbon is listed in the Rangers line-up at Bradford on 27 July but in the team that rode at Belle Vue on 3 August his name does not appear. The New Cross British Championship Round was run at this time but Les is not listed at that meeting.

Maybe his crash came in Practice somewhere that week?

The possibility is that Webbon was injured either in the New Cross match at Bradford on July 27 or in the second-half of that meeting. I doubt of there were second-half races to the NX British Championship round on the following Wednesday.

PS: In the second-half, in heat three, there were two non-fishers, Keith Harvey and Les Webbon. Was this where Webbon met with his head injury (?) resulting in the end of his speedway career?

PPS: Webbon rode in the first two meetings of Bradford's 1946 season before moving to New Cross.

Edited by speedyguy